Author Topic: Test run at LED Tail Lamps  (Read 4539 times)

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
Test run at LED Tail Lamps
« on: August 17, 2006 - 09:46:15 PM »
I work at a Lighting Supplier, and one day discussing the upcoming Woodward Dream Cruise, and my concern of my brake lights not being seen from the car behind me on my 73 Dodge Challenger. Well me and another Engineer brainstormed and came up with this design as shown in pics. There are 3 rows of 6 LEDs, the center row is the tail function, the top and bottom row is the turn signal function, and all 3 rows light for the brake function. Please send feedback, good or bad.

No cutting or crimping any wires, the LED is wired to a burned out bulb, all I need to do is remove four screw per lamp, remove the LED board, screw the lens back on, and install the regular bulb abd back to stock. I'll get some pics from behind the vehicle if anyone is interested?

1973 Dodge Challenger, Warren Michigan.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Test run at LED Tail Lamps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006 - 01:09:58 AM »
I think it looks SWEET!  Can we do that for a barracuda??   :dunno:

Offline chrisII

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006 - 01:23:17 AM »
are the resistors to cause enough draw to fool the circuit into thinking its still got an 1157?  ive ben looking for led 1157s for a while now, its only a matter of time before somebody figures out how to do it if they havnt already..

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006 - 06:54:42 AM »
Looks great!  Production plans?

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006 - 07:07:23 AM »
Very cool.

I have spent a lot of time designing tail lamps for DCX. Specifially for Jeep. I know a bit about the loads, but I am not an engineer. On a recent program we fount that the harness could not handle the load of the LEDs without a - I forget what you call it-maybe modulator.

Do you know how the "modulator" would fit into the equation?

Many times we need a light dispersion reflex to get the spread correct. Thsi is handled with a reflex lens. There are quite a few dispersion lens to choose from now. We can find a contemporary application that looks like it works well with the car, and has a feel for the original.

I think we should dive deeper. I would love to help.

As far as a practical application, I am all for it. In fact, count me into the test.

BTW, Which supplier do you work for?

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline willhaven

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006 - 08:46:46 AM »
Very very nice!  I'd do that in kit form in no time.  Where can I get that board and resistors?
As far as the load on the wiring, LED's draw less current than a standard bulb so I don't know what the concern is  :dunno:
The thing with running LED tails is that most of the time you need to go to an electronic flasher because of load reasons (not enough), if not they blink to fast or don't blink at all.

Here are my led's on my Jeep

1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006 - 10:11:36 AM »
 :wow: Very frickin cool! Could be done for a 70 Chally?????????????

Plumbcrazy
I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006 - 10:57:40 AM »
Kit for 70 Challenger.

http://www.hitechledproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_84&products_id=344&osCsid=cb321afb63ba504c780e6857f2268f7d

Thats a fine and dandy lookin kit. but $280!  :bricks1: Willing to bet the setup he made might cost a 1/4 of that at most. Justa guesstimation though, I'd love to have a affordable setup like that for my car...figuring it is a daily driver itd be worth the upgrade. I just cant justify the $180 they want for the 72 Cuda kit.  :eek4:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006 - 11:54:00 AM »
The thing with LED's is you just need the right voltage.  White LED's cost the most $$$ to produce therfore more money to buy anything done in a white LED.
Doing what Amazen has done is quite simple, as long as you have the right parts.  Those boards he has certainely made the job go easier and he could sell them in a DIY kit (hint hint). 
Doing a round tailight would require a bit more as far as mounting the leds, but can be done.  Just takes some thinking. 
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006 - 12:06:09 PM »
I'm not sure how much Amazen paid for the LED, but here are some choices for those that want to try it on their own or custom make a 70's style.
Lengths from 6" up.
http://extremeled.com/detail.aspx?ID=1

This would be perfect to use as a back up light bulb replacement:
http://extremeled.com/detail.aspx?ID=5

Actually here is the best of them all.  Many options and ideas, where's my CC?
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/STP306C/default.asp

Again these won't draw nearly as much current as your bulbs do.  I'll see what I can make up using these.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006 - 12:08:02 PM »

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline chrisII

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006 - 12:27:53 PM »
I thought about converting mine. Maybe one of these..

http://www.autodirectsave.com/Small_bulbs.asp

or

http://www.ledshoponline.com/automotive_leds1157.htm

Dave

Now THAT is what i was looking for! my question is do the 1157 leds have resistors buildt in to up the draw and make the blinkers work properly?? I haven't read the page completely (but will soon). obviously these will be a great way to improve rear visability in our muscle cars.  led technoledgy has really come around on leds recently, i dont think the leds have changed so much as the cost of making them really. another huge advantage of leds is that they do not make nearly the hear of conventional bulbs..
    my boss with the sound and light company i work for and i were just talking yesterday about how great the new led stage lighting that is coming out is. the days of having 20 -30 300w cans on stage are numbered (god i hope)

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006 - 03:05:20 PM »
Man I tell ya this kinda stuff is why I like this board :2thumbs: It's amazing what a few resourceful people can find and put together!! Frickin amazing!

I liked the idea better when AmazenToys  was gona be a billionaire though.

AmazenToys, You make it I'll buy it---ELECTRICITY IS NOT MY FREND  :22yikes:

Plumbcrazy
I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it!