Author Topic: Test run at LED Tail Lamps  (Read 4548 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Test run at LED Tail Lamps
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006 - 04:28:24 PM »
Man I tell ya this kinda stuff is why I like this board :2thumbs: It's amazing what a few resourceful people can find and put together!! Frickin amazing!

I liked the idea better when AmazenToys  was gona be a billionaire though.

AmazenToys, You make it I'll buy it---ELECTRICITY IS NOT MY FREND  :22yikes:

Plumbcrazy

Count me in for a 72 B'Cuda set.  :naughty:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006 - 06:28:07 PM »
   Now THAT is what i was looking for! my question is do the 1157 leds have resistors buildt in to up the draw and make the blinkers work properly??

Electronic flasher my friend, electronic flasher.  They don't require a certain load to make them work.  They just work, one bulb out, no biggie, 3 bulbs out, who cares, it WILL blink.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline chrisII

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006 - 07:57:18 PM »
so how pricy are electronic flashers? those 1157s arent that expensive but if the flashers are pricy it would blow it.

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006 - 08:50:37 PM »
 :wow: this turned out to be quite a thread.

I'm not looking into marketing this, I couldn't even if I tried.

Like I mentioned, I work for a Lighting Supplier, I was lucky enough to get some sample 6-packs from our LED supplier. The board is of Plastic with the LED board (which the LEDs are RED) screwed on. Additional reverse polarity diode and additional resistor to use only the middle strip of the LEDs for tail. The additional resistor reduces the LED current. The result is that you should have a ratio of 1:100 of the lightoutput for Tail and all LEDs at 100% for Stop/Turn . It could easily be done at home with a little patient, and most of the supplies could be bought at a electronic store fairly resaonable. The wires sodered to the boards, and then to the base of the bulb, then filled with epoxy. Luckly the flasher works fine, nothing was required to modify.

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed this design and given me a thumbs up.
1973 Dodge Challenger, Warren Michigan.

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006 - 06:31:25 AM »
 :22yikes:AmazenToys Wrote:
Additional reverse polarity diode and additional resistor to use only the middle strip of the LEDs for tail. The additional resistor reduces the LED current. The result is that you should have a ratio of 1:100 of the lightoutput for Tail and all LEDs at 100% for Stop/Turn

:clueless: "Beem me up Scotty" I'm outa my league. All I understood was  :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: Maybe when I get a little closer to tail lights
(and that will be a while) You could help me understand???????

:roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006 - 09:50:31 AM »
I have always wanted to do this for my car (when um there are 4 wheels on my car and it is rolling).  Those LEDS look reallllllll good
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006 - 04:51:11 PM »
:22yikes:AmazenToys Wrote:
Additional reverse polarity diode and additional resistor to use only the middle strip of the LEDs for tail. The additional resistor reduces the LED current. The result is that you should have a ratio of 1:100 of the lightoutput for Tail and all LEDs at 100% for Stop/Turn

:clueless: "Beem me up Scotty" I'm outa my league. All I understood was  :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: Maybe when I get a little closer to tail lights
(and that will be a while) You could help me understand???????

Me too, i wish i knew what half that stuff meant or i'd be at radioshack getting what i needed and making my own setup.  :crying: I'd be more than willing to fab my own setup, i just wish i had the know-how.  :walkaway:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006 - 09:03:56 PM »
You mean you can run a resistor in line to the LED's to lower the voltage(and light output)?
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006 - 07:48:03 AM »
You mean you can run a resistor in line to the LED's to lower the voltage(and light output)?

Yes, the great thing with LED's are that they need no more than a specific voltage to work. You can "overdrive" them, but they will burn out quicker or instantaneously.
If you get a 12v led, you can use a resistor to lower the input voltage so the bulb is dimmer down to 1 volt.  You can add a variable resistor so you can actually adjust it using a dial if neccesary so you can "tune in" the look you want.

As long as you know how to solder and can add and subtract, you can wire LED's.  If you reverse the polarity, nothing happens, so switch it around again and bingo you're good to go.

BTW, the inside dims width wise for a 72 up Challenger is just a bit over 6" wide.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2006 - 07:49:10 AM »
so how pricy are electronic flashers? those 1157s arent that expensive but if the flashers are pricy it would blow it.

Oh and I forgot, these flashers are $7.99 compared to $4 for a regular.  SOmetimes they aren't needed because the front lights dreaw enought to make them blink.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006 - 08:25:29 AM »
Amazen,, from the response you have gotten here, by proxy vote you have been elected the official LED tail light designer  :worshippy
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline AmazenToys

• AmazenToys
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006 - 05:45:52 PM »
I had to bring this back to the top to show a comparison to another Led on the Thread
1973 Dodge Challenger, Warren Michigan.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006 - 06:51:41 AM »
Amazen,

Any chance you could sketch out a schematic and post it? I think I'm bright enough (no pun intended) to do this with a picture in front of me.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

KTO

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2006 - 06:56:39 AM »
Legal issues aren't normally at the top of my list but....

Do these meet DOT approval?

I'd hate to see some one get a$$-ended and get sued for doing this

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2006 - 09:07:52 AM »
I thought about converting mine. Maybe one of these..
http://www.ledshoponline.com/automotive_leds1157.htm

Dave

The problem with those is that they point the LED's up.  Since our bulbs install from the bottom, they'd be directing light at the top of the reflector and not out of the lense.  I've seen some replacement LED bulbs which were angled 90 degrees, but I can't remember where.  The other thing is I think these would create a hot spot instead of evenly dispersing the light.

The other link that offers car specific lights doesn't have anything for 72-74 Challengers, but it looks like the one for the 67-68 Camaro would work with some slight modification.  Still too expensive, IMO.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger