Big weekend plans - Challenger Progress update

Author Topic: Big weekend plans - Challenger Progress update  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Challenger73318

Big weekend plans - Challenger Progress update
« on: August 18, 2006 - 07:06:31 AM »
Well, since I've hit a wall in the motivation department of late, I thought I'd post here and get a little encouragement to keep pressing on.  So I've planned out a variety of things to do to move the Challenger's body work forward this weekend.  Tonight, the welding will be completed on the passenger door.  Saturday, I've allotted for grinding welds, and starting the primering process.  Once the exterior primer is ready, I'm going to switch focus to the interior where I'll be dismantling the rear view mirror and dome light.   I'll then pull down the rest of the headliner.  If I get that far I'm doing good.  Sunday, I'm planning to clean up the interior, and possibly pull the heater core.

I stop myself everytime I get that feeling that I want to just drive the car, and not mess with the process of repairing it correctly.  It's a tough battle.  That and I HATE body work.  That's why I'm saving the engine for last.  It'll help me pick up speed toward completion.

I know what you're thinking....oh shuddup and just go work on your car....
 :thumbsup:

Offline ESGEE

• 1970 Challenger RT/SE
    • SG´s site
Re: Big weekend plans - Challenger Progress update
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006 - 07:36:53 AM »
Hope it work out ok and fast, i know the feel my Challenger is stuck in bodywork to :cheers: But you know  :useless: :bigsmile:
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B196875)
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B115166)
70 Challenger SE(RT/SE clone)
69 Charger RT/SE 4speed Trackpac
70 Charger 500

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006 - 07:59:31 AM »
Yes, I know about the pic requirement.  You'd think the world stopped just cuz people can't see it happen.  LOL  I figured I would take pics when its in primer state. 

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006 - 08:38:40 AM »
It's a tough job but somebody (namely you) have to do it.  Think of the pride you will have when it is all done.  You can be like yeah, I did this and welded that and repaired this and on and on.  In all honesty, not many people will comprehend the work that went into it, but most of all of us do!
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006 - 09:06:05 AM »
Slowly but surely.  When we got bogged down with the challenger, we made a pact to go down to the garage every day no matter what.  Even if it was only 30 minutes, we had to get something done.  After about a month of this, we were amazed at how much we accomplished.  Sometimes it feels like wading through molasses, but eventually, you really do finish.  Keep at it.  We're here for moral support!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006 - 11:05:39 AM »
Been there, done that.  I know it is tough to get through, but it gets better.  :cheers:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006 - 11:31:46 AM »

Yip, slowly but surely you'll get her done. Keep at it mate and imagine starting her up for the first time.  :smokin:

Come on lads post a few photos of inspiration!!  :2thumbs:

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006 - 01:49:22 PM »
Hope this inspires...
I picked this car up about two years ago and this is quick pictorial of the progression since this.  The last picture is current as of two weeks ago.
To give you an idea of what has go on, I have replaced the drivers side floor (front and back), drivers side rear frame rail, trunk, pulled some dents out of the passenger door, and replaced the transmission hump with one for a manual transmission.  I have ground all the crappy rivited patch panels out from the passenger quarter, rear tail panel, drivers quarter, drivers rocker panel, drivers wheel well, and firewall.  Then all that was patched with fabricated patch panels or replacement sheet metal.  Everything was butt welded and ground down.  Then of coarse the regular body work.  Over the last two years, I have probably worked 30% of the weekends to get where I am at.  It has given me time to accumulate parts I know I will need and/or stock pile money for the big dollar items.  Over the last two months things have really started to speed up and now I just don't want to stop.  I have very little body work that needs to be done (waiting on a new underhood brace for the shaker conversion to finish the hood.  Wasn't happy with the cheap one and getting one from Harms), but none that will stop me from putting parts on the car.  That is so much more fun!

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006 - 02:26:26 PM »
Thanks all!  I treated myself to putting the new rear wheels on last weekend, just to see how they look (awesome I might ad).  Its just tough to stop and fathom how much bodywork has yet to go into the project before its rolling.  It'll be cool though.  Nothing is stopping it from getting back on the road, I had way too much fun driving it for 2 years before I started fixing that small rust hole in the roof near the rear window.  LOL  Amazing how it goes from "I'll just fix that one spot" to "full paint and body, new interior, upgrade motor and suspension"....

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006 - 02:28:49 PM »
I completely understand the feeling of being overwelmed by the project too.   :faint:
So much little stuff to do before you get to the fun things.  Just keep plugging along.  :ylsuper: :cheers:

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006 - 06:18:00 PM »
Yay me!  Ok, so this is pathetic, but at least I feel better about the car project.  Took the visors, rear view mirror and dome light down.  Took the shoulder belts off too.  I see that the headliner bows are in different holes.  Is there a reason for that? 

The main point is that its underway again.  Changing my focus from exterior to interior for a few minutes re-energized me and my committment to the project.  Rambling now, but it might help someone else.

Thanks!!

Kim

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006 - 06:27:53 PM »
Inspiration?
From this-

To this-

It can be hard to see the end but just keep at it!
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006 - 09:14:42 PM »
Keep at it!!  It's a big step to get primer on the car!! (and it looks so much better once that's done.) :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline duodec

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006 - 09:07:05 PM »

I see that the headliner bows are in different holes.  Is there a reason for that? 

Make sure you tag each bow with its installed order and position information.  They're usually color coded but its easier to just record where they go.

Sorry, i don't know why they might be in different holes (positions I assume?) on each side if that's what you mean by the above.