Author Topic: Frame cap questions  (Read 689 times)

Offline Bonkers

Frame cap questions
« on: August 18, 2006 - 05:38:18 PM »
I was looking into AutoRust's frame caps as a solution for my torsion/subframe rot. I had some tell me this is a bad idea as the frame will be weakened, but I also have many others telling me if its done right the AutoRust caps can actually strengthen the frames despite the rot.

I'm curious on as many opinions as I can get. I plan to drive the car into the ground so my main concern will be saftey and longivity, not originality. What do you guys think?
------------------------------------
I drive WAY too fast to be worried about cholesterol.

"First rule of performance modification - not being able to accelerate won't kill you nearly as fast as not being able to stop." - Dad-in-law and chief mechanic.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: Frame cap questions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006 - 05:47:59 PM »
It doesn`t matter if you use frame caps,used originals or handmade rails as long as they are the same thickness or even thicker than the factory and are welded in correctly to solid metal around them any option will work fine.The only negative I see using caps is that they cover over the rusty area which might promote more rust and they will not look stock.I prefer to cut out any rust and replace with homemade or used pieces.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi