What should i do???

Author Topic: What should i do???  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Gurragas of Sweden

• Restorers
What should i do???
« on: August 21, 2006 - 06:52:31 AM »
I am so tired on my car now, why cant i get the car to run good?? when the car stands stil on neutral and i give gas, is no problem, its respond very good and goes clean, when i drive it and give full throttle its hacking and nearly stops, the fuelpreasure seems to fall and the fuelfilter goes empty, i have change the fuel line from the tank and forward but it dident change anything.
What should i do?? sell the car and buy a volvo  :puke: or keep working whit the car, and hope that i found the problem and i could fix it?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: What should i do???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006 - 09:11:25 AM »
Have you tried replacing your fuel pump yet?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006 - 09:19:01 AM »
You might want to pull the sending unit too since it could be clogged with 30 year old crud.

Offline ESGEE

• 1970 Challenger RT/SE
    • SG´s site
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006 - 09:41:14 AM »
How clean is the tank? What kind of motor in it? :cheers:
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B196875)
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B115166)
70 Challenger SE(RT/SE clone)
69 Charger RT/SE 4speed Trackpac
70 Charger 500

• Restorers
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006 - 12:39:11 PM »
Have you tried replacing your fuel pump yet?
Mike

Jepp, i tried an electric pump but whit the same result.

You might want to pull the sending unit too since it could be clogged with 30 year old crud.

I have clean the tank and sending unit twice, but no change of the syndrome, the fuelpreasure falling after a while.

How clean is the tank? What kind of motor in it? :cheers:

the tank is so clean it can be, its a 383 and the carb is a edelbrock 600.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006 - 12:46:02 PM »

Can you be a little more specific on what the problem is. Is it when you accelerate or idle, both?

Sounds like what me 'Cuda had when I got it, possible transmission problem?  :dunno: My car was all good but when under throttle the engine sounded like it was going faster than the car was actually going. I found out that my transmission was slipping very badly, the bands were stuffed. All fixed now.  :biggrin:

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem.
Don't sell it, it doesn't sound like a major problem, just a little time needed to pin point the fault.  :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

• Restorers
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006 - 12:59:16 PM »

Can you be a little more specific on what the problem is. Is it when you accelerate or idle, both?

Sounds like what me 'Cuda had when I got it, possible transmission problem?  :dunno: My car was all good but when under throttle the engine sounded like it was going faster than the car was actually going. I found out that my transmission was slipping very badly, the bands were stuffed. All fixed now.  :biggrin:

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem.
Don't sell it, it doesn't sound like a major problem, just a little time needed to pin point the fault.  :cheers:

When i step on it, the engine starts to hacking,spitting,shouting in the carbs, if you now what i mean, nothing happens more than the naibor think its a hunting in the forrest.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006 - 01:01:58 PM »

Then it's carb trouble surely.... :-\ Could be air bubbles, float level and/or the carb needing a decent tune up.

:2cents: :thumbsup:

• Restorers
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006 - 01:14:55 PM »
Iam in to the carb trouble too, the thing is that i have take it down in pieces twice, the first time i clean it up, the owner before me had driven the car whitout fuelfilter so the carb was totaly full off dirt   :swear:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006 - 01:16:16 PM »

So have you taken your carb off and given it a rebuild? Sounds like all your troubles are in the carb.

• Restorers
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006 - 01:30:53 PM »
Yes i think so too, but it dosent get better, no changes att all, same syndrome and same hacking and spitting in the carb  :pullinghair:
So you understand that i am angry  :stomp:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006 - 01:34:20 PM »

I see. I'm definitely no expert on Carbs, or engines for that matter, so I don't know how you are with them....did you do it yourself and get it seen to professionally? Perhaps take it n and let a pro check it out. Swallow some pride for a quick fix and get back to enjoying the car rather than getting angry at it......lol

:2thumbs:

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006 - 02:10:32 PM »
COuld also be a timing issue.  Seems that when you step on it under load it starts to backfire and chug? 
Just curious as to how you know the fuel pressure is dropping off?  I'd go over all the lines, verify no pinhole leaks and that the rubber is all good.
After that, verify you have no vacuum leaks.  You didn't mention if it had power brakes, but if it does you can plug off the brake booster to make sure that isn't leaking on you.  Just be careful stopping. 
Cap and rotor in good condition?  Did you check to see if you have a cap w/brass terminals or aluminum.  The aluminum ones get eaten up pretty quick and can cause firing issues.
Their is a lot to check, but if you can narrow items down it would be easier to diagnois. 
I'm leaning towards carb issues. If the guy before didn't run a fuel filter and you said when you took it apart and found crude and dirt inside, I'd skip a rebuild and buy a new one.  It would be impossible to tell if you cleaned ALL the gunk out.  Something could be plugging a very small passage and you wouldn't know it. 
Give us some more details about the entire car and let us know what you find out.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006 - 02:16:44 PM »
COuld also be a timing issue.  Seems that when you step on it under load it starts to backfire and chug? 
Just curious as to how you know the fuel pressure is dropping off?  I'd go over all the lines, verify no pinhole leaks and that the rubber is all good.
After that, verify you have no vacuum leaks.  You didn't mention if it had power brakes, but if it does you can plug off the brake booster to make sure that isn't leaking on you.  Just be careful stopping. 
Cap and rotor in good condition?  Did you check to see if you have a cap w/brass terminals or aluminum.  The aluminum ones get eaten up pretty quick and can cause firing issues.
Their is a lot to check, but if you can narrow items down it would be easier to diagnois. 
I'm leaning towards carb issues. If the guy before didn't run a fuel filter and you said when you took it apart and found crude and dirt inside, I'd skip a rebuild and buy a new one.  It would be impossible to tell if you cleaned ALL the gunk out.  Something could be plugging a very small passage and you wouldn't know it. 
Give us some more details about the entire car and let us know what you find out.

:clapping:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006 - 02:39:20 PM »
As for the carb... possibly the accelerator pump is bad. Take a flashlight, and look down the carb. as someone steps down all the way on the gas pedal. You should see plenty of gas shooting down the throat of the carb.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.