Author Topic: Picture Taking Gurus - Any Suggestions? 'Cuda pics *56k warn*  (Read 1995 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Picture Taking Gurus - Any Suggestions? 'Cuda pics *56k warn*
« on: August 21, 2006 - 11:37:23 AM »
Just the last pictures I've taken of the grocery getter. My $100somethin dollar Kodak C340 camera, no tri-pod or anything. Any suggestions/comments on things? I know it's not the purdiest thing here, but I try.  :bigsmile: Yellow's not the easiest thing to try and shoot, as you can see it's about a different color in every picture  :chatting::working:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006 - 11:40:17 AM by GoodysGotACUDA »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Picture Taking Gurus - Any Suggestions? 'Cuda pics *56k warn*
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006 - 12:04:14 PM »
I like the top one, but be careful with the sign placement. the one on the left in particular looks like it's growing out of the hood.

2nd one, I think it's a bit too much off-center, but that's just my taste. Otherwise, a nice shot. Better color saturation than the first, probably due to sun position.

The third and the fourth show off your car well, but I don't like the wall, especially since it's unfinished. In both it's ending near the back of your car, and bisects both the car and the background in an unflattering way.

Like the fifth shot. The tail, being black, needed just a little fill-flash to bring it up.

Like the sixth. Good color, placement, nice beauty glow from the bumper that's not too overpowering.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006 - 12:07:16 PM »
I love the color in the last pic!  Soooo...you got any over 2000 pixels wide??   :smokin:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006 - 12:36:16 PM »
I like the first pic minus the signs, they are very distracting.  Also, it would be better IMO if the tire was pointed at the yellow centerline so it leads the eye to the car and up it.

Some things to consider, fill the frame with 3/4 of the subject.  Always ask yourself what is the subject that I am shooting, look around in the frame for anything that looks like ti is "growing" out of the car.  Don't forget to look at the window glass for any odd reflections or perhaps seeing through to something that would be distracting.

Some other things to consider, even though it is sunny, using a fill flash would do your pictures justice.  It would help bring out the detail in the darker areas of your car. 

I also like the 3/4 car shot, going from the front and down the side, showing 3/4 of the car, which would be like the shots with the brick wall in the background.

I think your car would be great photographed on a dirt road with srub brush in the background.  I'd position the car, then shine up the black tires and rims so it will help add contrast to the dusty color of the road.  Also, I'd focus on the car and have the background out of focus if it is a busy background or if the background will overpower the car.  It's cool to photograph with a sunset, colorful mountains, etc..., but remember the CAR is the subject so make sure you use anything else to highlight and bring attention to the car.  Some people with colorful cars can also try to focus on the front half of the car and blur the rest with the right position it could look awesome.

Good luck, I'm sure you will find the perfect spot!
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006 - 01:16:43 PM »
I like the top one, but be careful with the sign placement. the one on the left in particular looks like it's growing out of the hood.

2nd one, I think it's a bit too much off-center, but that's just my taste. Otherwise, a nice shot. Better color saturation than the first, probably due to sun position.

The third and the fourth show off your car well, but I don't like the wall, especially since it's unfinished. In both it's ending near the back of your car, and bisects both the car and the background in an unflattering way.

Like the fifth shot. The tail, being black, needed just a little fill-flash to bring it up.

Like the sixth. Good color, placement, nice beauty glow from the bumper that's not too overpowering.

Thanks, yea the wall was just kindova 'im driving by that, why not?'. Thanks for the suggestions  :2thumbs:

I love the color in the last pic!  Soooo...you got any over 2000 pixels wide??   :smokin:

I got 'em 2,500pixles wide.  :grinyes:

I like the first pic minus the signs, they are very distracting.  Also, it would be better IMO if the tire was pointed at the yellow centerline so it leads the eye to the car and up it.

Some things to consider, fill the frame with 3/4 of the subject.  Always ask yourself what is the subject that I am shooting, look around in the frame for anything that looks like ti is "growing" out of the car.  Don't forget to look at the window glass for any odd reflections or perhaps seeing through to something that would be distracting.

Some other things to consider, even though it is sunny, using a fill flash would do your pictures justice.  It would help bring out the detail in the darker areas of your car. 

I also like the 3/4 car shot, going from the front and down the side, showing 3/4 of the car, which would be like the shots with the brick wall in the background.

I think your car would be great photographed on a dirt road with srub brush in the background.  I'd position the car, then shine up the black tires and rims so it will help add contrast to the dusty color of the road.  Also, I'd focus on the car and have the background out of focus if it is a busy background or if the background will overpower the car.  It's cool to photograph with a sunset, colorful mountains, etc..., but remember the CAR is the subject so make sure you use anything else to highlight and bring attention to the car.  Some people with colorful cars can also try to focus on the front half of the car and blur the rest with the right position it could look awesome.

Good luck, I'm sure you will find the perfect spot!

Thanks for the tips.  :thumbsup:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006 - 01:19:05 PM »
Heres one of my other favs. Not sure that the lines are in the best spot. but the car looks good  :dogpile:

1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006 - 01:22:26 PM »
I got 'em 2,500pixles wide.  Grin Yes

So, I'll be getting an email from you sometime in the next week or so??  :grinyes:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006 - 01:57:08 PM »
Heres one of my other favs. Not sure that the lines are in the best spot. but the car looks good  :dogpile:

That would be a very nice shot if not for the parking lot lines. 
If you can replicate that background and position I'd use a fill flash.  It'd help bring out the detail in the grill area, might give the chrome some sparkle and help out with that body line, preventing it from being washed out.  That is a nice 3/4 angle shot though.

After looking at it more, your car color is a nice sunny cheery color.  I think photographing it with a dreary background (so to speak) will really make the car stand out.  The overcast sky in the photo really brings attention to the car and nothing else.  I can tell by the shadows that the sun was setting.  You can always maneuver the car to hide the shadows because they don't reproduce that well.

You know what would make an awesome shot is your car in the foreground of a hurricane or impending rain storm  :scared:
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006 - 02:00:00 PM »
I like that last one too for the most part. I agree that the lines are questionable, and I think the highlight along the character line is too bright, obscuring some of the stripe.

I agree with MyMopar's suggestion about scrub; it'll be in the same palette as the car, but, being dull, will tend to make the car pop. My suggestion is to find some place that's like the background in the last shot, go there a couple of hours or so before sunset on a bright day, and ... take a ladder. Try taking some from a higher viewpoint.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006 - 04:25:13 PM »
You've taken some badd@ss shots  :clapping:  The backgroud is perfect  :worshippy
With a little tweaking you could fix the small imperfections.
 I just added a little fill flash, changed the output level a hair to bring out the features like your grille. Tried to get rid of those pesky lines also.  I aint no pro that's for sure  :clueless:

Great job man, keep it up  :cheers:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006 - 06:18:39 AM »
Hi. Lovely car you have there, and lucky you getting involved at such a young age :clapping:

I agree with many of the comments made on taking pictures, and I am no guru but have acquired some experience due to the thousands of picture I take for keeping records. Two things I wish to contribute here.
1. "White balance". This is a function you need to do whenever you take shots and need the color to be as true as possible. I am not familiar with the type of camera you have, and hope this feature is on it. If you have the manual, you can find it there, alternatively ask someone who can show you how.
2. If you want the shine to really show, you do not need much sunlight. A shadowed area, under the clouds or wait for the sun to go down a bit. This will make a huge difference. See tha attached pictures of my 1960 190SL, taken almost at the same angle, but the open one was in full sunlight where as the other one was taken when the sun had gone down. You can actually see reflections of the street light on the black car behind mine.
Appologies for not using photos of my Challys but both of them need a paint job.
Cheers, Farouk
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7

kudakidd

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006 - 07:30:50 AM »
Goody, pics 1,4 and 6 do it for me. If it weren't for the signs, pic 1 would win hands down. Pic 4 would be better only if the shadow was missing (cloudy days are better for picture taking). Overall, you have a great eye for composition. :thumbsup:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006 - 07:44:57 AM »
Hi. Lovely car you have there, and lucky you getting involved at such a young age :clapping:

I agree with many of the comments made on taking pictures, and I am no guru but have acquired some experience due to the thousands of picture I take for keeping records. Two things I wish to contribute here.
1. "White balance". This is a function you need to do whenever you take shots and need the color to be as true as possible. I am not familiar with the type of camera you have, and hope this feature is on it. If you have the manual, you can find it there, alternatively ask someone who can show you how.

Thanks Challenger7, my camera has Auto, Daylight, Tungsten,and Flourescent white balance settings. Assuming i should use dailylight?

Goody, pics 1,4 and 6 do it for me. If it weren't for the signs, pic 1 would win hands down. Pic 4 would be better only if the shadow was missing (cloudy days are better for picture taking). Overall, you have a great eye for composition. :thumbsup:

Thanks kudakidd, if we only got cloudy days!  :lol: :eek4:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006 - 07:44:08 AM »
Goody, seeing you have a white balance facility on your cam, you should perform that before taking any pictures, after performing the white balance, you then switch to day light. But in fact you should try out the different settings and see which one gives you the closest color to your original photo.
Here is some contribution from me as per the comments made by the other members, whilst noting I too am not a pro with these things :bigsmile:
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006 - 08:41:48 AM »
In case anyone is reading and curious about setting white balance, I offer you this also.

For my digital camera, I tape a piece of white cardboard inside the lense cap. This way I always have a "white reference" to use if doing custom white balance.  Most regular digital cameras only allow you to adjust WB by selecting daylight, cloudy, indoors, etcc. while others allow you to focus in on something white and then click a button and it calibrates so you have a true white under whatever condition.  Just another tip, time is closing in and I still have to wait for the rain to stop so I can get a pic, hopefully.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!