Author Topic: Fuel Filler Tube..Extra 1/4" line ???  (Read 1323 times)

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Fuel Filler Tube..Extra 1/4" line ???
« on: August 24, 2006 - 06:52:18 PM »
Ok. Another question.  Am trying to reinstall filler neck tube, gas tank , ect. When I got the car the tube wasn't attached so I did not unhook the small tube at the entrance of the  fuel neck.  I need some guidance on where to and how to hook this back up.  Attaching pics.Thanks David
Dave or David

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Fuel Filler Tube..Extra 1/4" line ???
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006 - 02:45:43 AM »
I can see in your second picture, there is a nipple on top of the filler tube. That smaller line is a vent tube that attaches to the nipple.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006 - 10:14:57 PM »
the small line is just a vent into the filler neck which ultimatly vents through the cap as for exactly how the vent line is shaped to connect to the filler neck

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 426 pentastar

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006 - 06:19:40 AM »
You need to turn the vent tube around so it goes over the filler neck and it should take about 2-3in of line to connect it.

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006 - 09:31:03 AM »
 :faint:  I had a 14 hour day yesterday...but anyway I figured out how the line hooked up I think :clueless:  I will post some pics.  I can't figure out why it vents into the frame unless it keeps the outlet clean.
Dave or David

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006 - 10:39:42 AM »
It does keep a dirt out of the tube, if it's in the frame. Think about it. The air has to get into the tank as fuel is sucked out. If that tube gets clogged, the fuel pump can slowly suck your gas tank till it collapses to a smaller shape.

Every year after that had a vapor recovery canister.  This is why I try not to top off my 70 tank unless I'm on the highway and will use it right away.   I don't want any expanding gas dumping out of my tube or past the cap, onto my paint.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006 - 07:46:53 PM »
Ok. Now a couple of pics of how I hooked up the vent tube.  Don't pay a lot of attention to the frame area where the tube goes in. I haven't finished the underside cleaning there yet!!!

So based  on the last post it isn't a vent tube to let fumes out, it lets fresh air into the tank.   I should have hought of that!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006 - 07:49:15 PM by DAYLEY/CHALLENGER »
Dave or David

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006 - 09:58:13 PM »
It does both.  If you fill up on a hot day with cool underground fuel, as the temp and exhaust warms up the fuel, it will expand and shoot it out of that vent. So your full tank will be overfilled.  Just do what I do. don't try to top it off and see how much you can put in it. Once it clicks off, stop if you know it's full.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0