Alterktion vs Magnumforceracing ?

Author Topic: Alterktion vs Magnumforceracing ?  (Read 7203 times)

Offline cudabuyer

Alterktion vs Magnumforceracing ?
« on: August 25, 2006 - 05:44:00 AM »
 :clueless: :clueless:

any experience on either of these by members?  Probably will need on or other for hemi install on 70 challenger in progress with clearance and fit issues.

Ordered motor plates from magnum on Thurs but won't ship until next week - still have time to cancel order if Alterktion can solve my problems

Joel :working: :feedback:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline MyMopar

1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline cudabuyer

Re: Alterktion vs Magnumforceracing ?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006 - 08:30:34 AM »
XV per their website begins at $7495.00

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006 - 10:02:42 AM »
Well if the XV is ouit due to pricing, I would go the Alterkation route. I've seen some of their work and I like it better than the Magnum Force.  Just my  :2cents:
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006 - 05:16:04 PM »
Ordered the alterktion today Friday

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006 - 08:30:57 PM »
Well if the XV is ouit due to pricing, I would go the Alterkation route. I've seen some of their work and I like it better than the Magnum Force.  Just my  :2cents:

I thought Magnum Force built the Alterkation systems.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006 - 11:20:25 PM »
I know there's a couple other companies out there who produce aftermarket K-frames, but I think you're limited to just three. (at least from what I can remember)  Anyways, let us know how everything works out for you with the Alter-K-tion kit from Reilly Motorsports. :2thumbs:  I'd stick one underneath my Chally if I had the extra money later on. :grinyes:  XV's setup looks very nice, but I see it's a little pricey compared to Jenkin's setup as well as Reilly's.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006 - 11:23:34 PM by Street_Challenged73 »
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006 - 11:14:20 PM »
 Good choice going with the Alter-K-tion over the Magnum Force. :2thumbs:
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Four-Forty-fied

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006 - 06:53:25 AM »
I bought the AlterKtion set up a while ago, but I probably won’t be installing it until October. I was truly impressed with the craftsmanship. The welds are phenomenal. Bill Reilly seems like a real great guy too. He gives you 3 years to exchange springs if you are not happy with the rate. If his engineering is half as good as his fabrication skills, then the car will handle incredibly. At the very least, the K-frame will stiffen up the car a bit.

Did you buy a brake kit from him as well?

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006 - 12:33:20 PM »
I did buy the brakes from him, polished calipers and drilled cross-slotted like the rears.

Will be converting stock steering column to polished tilt column.

Offline falcon50flier

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006 - 02:57:54 PM »
I've praised the AlterKtion and my experience with it in building a hemi Challenger convertible in the suspension section of the board before, but I'll state again, that as four forty-fied said, Bill Reilly is great to deal with and his stuff works. The ALterKtion has competition now that didn't exist when I bought, but I would still go the same way again.

I had no clearance and fit problems with the hemi and TTi headers, and shaker alignment was good too. There is very tight clearance from my Stage V valve covers to the pass side shock tower, and it has struck a few times, but very minor.

A few of the teething problems I had that were promptly remedied by Bill with personal service.
1. He was changing out sway bar designs from a splined bar with billet arms to a fully bent bar, and my AlterK got built in the midst, leaving me with no sway bar attachment. He provided all pieces, freight paid, to add the new sway bar brackets to my ALterK and lower arms, and because I had already powder coated, comp'd me the sway bar ($225) too. It was a hassle to be sure, but he handled it very professionally.
2. AFCO had an incorrect shock in one box from Bill's inventory that ended up in my kit. I ended up scratching my head for hours (days) trying to figure out what was going on. Tale of the tape - one shock was longer than the other. Bill promply sent the correct part before I returned the other wrong one.
3. In mounting my steering column I realized I didn't have a lower steering shaft bushing. This was very late in the build and I needed to get the piece pronto, he sent me a Delrin bushing he machines in his own shop 2 day air - no charge.
4. In the process of taking the u-joint off the column again to add the bushing, when I drove out the interference fit pin, the original U-joint cracked. Replacement comp'd.
5. After 100 miles on the road, I broke a spring on the coil overs. A look at the break confirmed hydrogen embrittlement, the springs were chromed, but apparently with the wrong process to eliminate this potential failure. He sent me QA1 powder coat springs gratis before I even pulled the springs, so I would have the parts to go right back together when I pulled the coil overs.  He also offered to take back the AFCO shocks if I wanted, for new QA1 adjustable units. He didn't have to do this. But he did- and I accepted, again on the honor system that I'd return the AFCOs.

In every case where a problem was identified, Bill was responsive. If you deal with enough aftermarket companies, you realize what a different attitude Bill has.

And by the way, the Challenger REALLY handles.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006 - 03:02:42 PM by falcon50flier »
70 Challenger convertible
518 cid Hemi, TF727, 3.73 Dana 60

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006 - 03:39:43 PM »
Thanx Falcon,

We have emailed previously.  I remembered your alterktion front suspension.  At the time, as now, I was overbudget.

But with major fit problems, I ordered and have spoken to Bill daily.

I am going to use a flaming river tilt polished column and tuff wheel polished spoke wheel.

I have a tilt column in my 69 camaro and wouldn't do without it.

I may email you later for additional info if okay

Joel :working:

Offline falcon50flier

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006 - 07:17:47 PM »
Sure Joel. I remember your project.

I think you're going the right route.
70 Challenger convertible
518 cid Hemi, TF727, 3.73 Dana 60

Offline AUSAAR

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013 - 08:07:13 AM »
pulling up a realy old thread, but is the alterktion still the better setup vs magnumforce. which is the best setup for handling. not concerned about drag times.
cant go with the xv setup as i want rhd.
cheers, Mat

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013 - 10:10:32 AM »
IMO, the Alterk is better than Magnumforce because they have an isolated means of supporting the load compared to Magnumforce that translates all the suspension  loads through the shocktower. If you are adding engine bar braces and building a cage to tie everything together, then the MF system could be effective, but in your average street car, I think you run the risk of tweaking the inner fenders and causing panel alignment issues down the road.