Author Topic: Huge!!!! paint success YYYAAAAAHHHOOOOOO!!  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Todd Smith

Huge!!!! paint success YYYAAAAAHHHOOOOOO!!
« on: August 26, 2006 - 10:54:04 AM »
 :woohoo: I can't believe it, I just can't believe it. Came out great. :woohoo:
Until last week I had never had a (automotive) paint gun in my hand, and knowing that I had picked a difficult color to shoot, Plum Crazy Purple. I have been almost terrified. Screw this up and it's back to bare metal, and have to foot the bill for someone els to paint it, @ $4000 for a good paint job it would hurt bad and delayed finishing the car by at least 8 months.
I have bugged, pestered, and endlessly questioned everyone that I could suck knowledge out of. I thank them for thier help.
Knowing I was out of my realm, I went to the junk yard and bought a couple of body panels for $15 bucks, knocked the big stuff off them, roughed them up and destroyed a gallon of primer getting the feel of the HVLP gun. I didn't do any body work to the panels as I have been there, tried that, and was a TOTAL flop at it. :banghead: A good body person is worth their weight in gold! I was looking for what the paint was going to look like only, as the body work was hired out. If your in the Denver area and need body work done, I would love to turn you on to this guy, excellent work at a very reasonable price. Being able to start with perfect body parts was key to me.
Long story short, here are the Pics, I have 1 little sag in the clear coat and one spot of very minor orange peel on the valance panel to sand out. I'm so siked!!!!!
I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline moparclown

• Resident
Re: Huge!!!! paint success YYYAAAAAHHHOOOOOO!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006 - 11:07:21 AM »
Rock on brother Mopar,It's a great feeling when you do it yourself.But the point of getting there is totally scary I know that.-------the clown

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006 - 12:09:16 PM »
nice job, real nice job.  Stand back and enjoy it
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

Offline gb623

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006 - 02:18:06 PM »
Looks great :iagree: Movin' on to the main body? :cheers:

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006 - 03:10:19 PM »
Looks great :iagree: Movin' on to the main body? :cheers:

Soon - That dang PPG base / clear is no cheap date. A quart with all the stuff to go with it was $168.00. Plus I need to tend to the underside of the car first. Haven't decided how I'm going to tackle that one. May go with a spray on truck bed liner to seal it up tight, and have to relocate the springs so the 295 / 50s will fit. shelbydogg just got his tucked under beautifully and I'm following his recipe. Just great knowing I can do it!

Plumbcrazy

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006 - 03:27:44 PM »
Hey plumcrazy............I think you need to come to Rockingham for a few days............Look at my post on Ball park paint pricing...............You could shoot mine no problem...........I am still undecided on where to get mine painted.........David
Dave or David

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006 - 04:05:59 PM »
Those parts look fantastic!!  It's great to learn something new!!   :bananasmi

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006 - 05:19:44 PM »
Looks great!  Good job.   :2thumbs:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

71challengher

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006 - 10:03:52 PM »
Looks great. And my favorite color, too. :clapping:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006 - 12:36:31 AM »
Looks great.  :thumbsup:  Tell me your experiences on the flash time of the clear. Isn't it like 1 minute before you do the second coat? i did it years ago and I remembered how difficult it was to keep the clear to flatten out without getting a sag. Touchy stuff I remember.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006 - 08:13:07 AM »
Looks great.  :thumbsup:  Tell me your experiences on the flash time of the clear. Isn't it like 1 minute before you do the second coat? i did it years ago and I remembered how difficult it was to keep the clear to flatten out without getting a sag. Touchy stuff I remember.
Flash time depends on room temp and the reducer you use. You need to match them up. My time between coats was 5 - 10 min. I also had a junk piece of body panel I did at the same time, that way I could touch it to see how tacky it was without putting a fingerprint in the good stuff. I did 3 coats of clear, you have to be careful not to go to your 2nd and 3rd coats to quick or the gas trying to evaporate will leave bubbles. Ask for the product sheets when you buy your stuff and follow the directions.
And please remember my total knowledge and experience lies in two small body panels. I may have been lucky and all I am doing is regurgitating what I was told. Suck information out of experienced people in your area. They will know what works.
The things I know I did right are, 1. I got the best paint gun I could afford. 2. I bought high quality paint. 3. I made sure everything was spotlessly clean. 4. I took my time and didn't shortcut anything. 5. I turned the air pressure down.

Plumbcrazy

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006 - 11:01:55 AM »
the test panel is a good idea.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006 - 12:16:56 PM »
 :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:  :woo:  :woohoo:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006 - 01:02:48 PM »
 :bananasmi :bananasmi :bananasmi :bananasmi :bananasmi  Looks great!!  That's gotta feel good! :clapping: :clapping:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006 - 11:31:35 PM »
Good looking job and I'll remember the test panel if I paint another car in my garage.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4