Author Topic: Finally - my custom AC is working!  (Read 1704 times)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
Finally - my custom AC is working!
« on: August 26, 2006 - 03:38:27 PM »
After a long road of custom lines, components, bracketry, pulleys, etc my AC is cooling very well. The first surprise was that she sucked down nicely with no bleed down. We checked the PAG oil in the compressor, sucked her down again and went for it. It was about 101F here when we charged her up.  :eek4:

My setup was all current technology equipment from the firewall forward. Polished Sanden pump, 26" Tru-Flow condensor, variable clutch switch, VintageAir line kit, etc. The system held two cans of 134A. Pressure was 25L and 215H w/vent temps @ ~45F. I wasnt sure if the capacity was correct but the sight glass window was crystal clear. My buddy said if its working this good with two cans, don't touch it.  :cooldancing:

This is a MAJOR milestone in my project. 2 Years later and its finally realized. I know a lot of you guys do this stuff regularly and may not appreciate all the blood sweat and tears (and $) I poured into this. I have grown used to having problems and figured I was surely going to have to rework SOMETHING. I'll get the radiator recored to a 3core and I can now enjoy this car in the heat.   :clapping:

Maybe there is a Mopar God out there!   :angelwings:     
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: Finally - my custom AC is working!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006 - 04:51:29 AM »
Great, it's nice when things work the 1st time.

Can you give a rundown on your system, was car factory A/C?  I want to convert to new compressor and was wondering what you had to do to inside of car, switches, ect?

Thx

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006 - 06:48:23 AM »
Hey Kat - Yes, it is nice to get a break once in awhile.  :cheers:

Yes, my car is an original AC car. I am using all original equipment inside. I bought a NOS pushbutton AC controller and rebuilt my AC plenum box. Simple stuff. Everything under the hood is new but is aftermarket or custom made. The things you will have to face when upgrading from the big OEM pump to a Sanden style compressor is:

1. Mounting the unit and proper pulley/belt alignment (few will want to take the route I did, ck out http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/)
2. hose and dryer swap to 134A compatible (assuming you want to go 134A)
3. compressor clutch switch   (the OEM unit was designed to run constant, the Sanden will cycle with low side temp)

One other thing I noticed that I failed to mention; the Sanden is ultra quiet and doesn't seem to load down my engine at all. I was contemplating an idle-up solenoid but I dont think I am going to need it!  Also, if you have a small block, I have a conversion mount kit that I didnt use. I wanted to run a dual belt setup with March Performance billet aluminum pulleys. I spent over 6 weeks+ and several $$ going this route. If you have a big block, you will have more options available to than those of us small block owners.     
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Got JOB

• Member since 2-14-06
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006 - 07:02:07 PM »
Glad you finally got it going. Mine has worked great since I changed it, 40 deg at the vent. The sanden is quite.
70 T/A Plum crazy
71 vert. viper red
74 Rallye triple black ( sold )
76 Aspen Wagon
West Georgia

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006 - 08:21:45 PM »
I remember that feeling....It is awesome!!  Congratulations!  I know you really worked hard getting that right.  :grinyes:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

crazy larry

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006 - 09:04:10 PM »
NO excuses not to drive it now :woo: :cheers:

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006 - 07:40:09 AM »
 :cheers: Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?!!!! :clapping:

Now that you did all th R and D work, I'm sure a bunch of us will be following your recipe  :2thumbs:

Plumbcrazy
I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006 - 09:32:11 AM »
Mike this is something that I am going to have to tackle VERY soon... only I have a big block. Also, the engine I bought currently has underdrive V-belt pulleys on it and I am not sure if those will effectively run a Sanden Compressor. I dont really want to switch the pulley's but think I might have to... also I would like all the brackets for the P/S pump, alt, a/c, etc. to match somewhat... I dont want it to look stupid by having mismatched brackets and all.

Great job BTW.. :2thumbs:.. I am jealous!!

Brent

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006 - 10:06:35 AM »
Mike this is something that I am going to have to tackle VERY soon... only I have a big block. Also, the engine I bought currently has underdrive V-belt pulleys on it and I am not sure if those will effectively run a Sanden Compressor. I dont really want to switch the pulley's but think I might have to... also I would like all the brackets for the P/S pump, alt, a/c, etc. to match somewhat... I dont want it to look stupid by having mismatched brackets and all.

Great job BTW.. :2thumbs:.. I am jealous!!

Brent

We put a new system in ours Brent and it does take a bunch of head scratching (we have a 383).  We went with March Pulleys and had to make all of our own brackets.  Here's how ours ended up.  It sure is nice having ice cold air blowing on you in 100 degree weather! :grinyes:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006 - 10:47:22 AM »
do you have the underdrive pulleys as well? I was told the the A/C compressor would be pretty ineffective because of this... I compared it to a stock 2 groove pulley and it is much smaller in diameter, so I am concerned.

Can anyone clarify...