Author Topic: What type of Exhaust are you running?  (Read 5516 times)

Offline JimCuda

• MOPAR > Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
What type of Exhaust are you running?
« on: August 26, 2006 - 05:40:40 PM »
No matter what your chioce let everyone know what you are running.

1. List your engine size.

2. If you are running stock manifolds, let people know why they are for you.

3. If you've shed your stock manifolds, let people know which ones you are running and why.

Offline inot2old

Re: What type of Exhaust are you running?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006 - 05:53:41 PM »
'73 Cuda, 360 engine, headers
'70 Challenger 400 engine, headers
 both cars had headers when I bought them.
My buddy, who has been building Mopar engines for years, won't put headers on his cars, but I have never asked him why.  I am not sure if its because they throw off so much heat or what.
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006 - 06:11:28 PM »
I have built at least 10 customer cars , about 50% have used manifolds , the rest used headers , most have used TTi exhaust systems , most 2.5" some 3" for higher power applications , the TTi headers & systems are simple awesome & have lots of clearance for wires even with angled plug heads , they fit well , are top quality & sound great , 1 customer used the TTI exhuast & Hooker headers , the adapters from the hookers to TTi exhaust fit perfect , the fit of the Hookers is aweful though
 I have made a lot of power through stock HP manifolds with the correct cam choice & careful porting 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006 - 06:17:16 PM »

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T - 440ci Magnum: 1-7/8" Primary tti headers with 2" collectors. Thermal barrier insides with ceramic coating. Runs to a 2-1/2" tti exhaust system with X-Pipe through to Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers and out through stock appearing exhaust tips with different chambers and 2-1/2" insides.

1973 Plymouth Cuda - 340ci 4-bbl: 1-1/2" Hooker headers with 2" collectors. Thermal barrier insides with ceramic coating. Runs to a 2-1/2" tti exhaust system with X-Pipe through to Dynomax Mufflers and out through stock appearing exhaust tips with different chambers and 2-1/2" insides. Installed by previous owner - no need to change.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006 - 07:15:15 PM »
68 Cuda  408 After bad experiences with Eagle- Cyclone(Black Jack) - and Hooker hedders I finally got a set of Heddman Hedders and I am totally pleased! Even tho NO hedder is a slip fit, these were close and they tuck up higher to the body than all the others (my oil pan hangs lower than the hedders) and have the most spark plug clearance too

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006 - 01:49:45 AM »
72 318 barracuda, daily driven, upgraded cam/intake/ignition/heads/etc,etc. running dynomaxx ceramic coated headers, not toooo impressed with them. They look ok, had to nail a tube a little for steering parts clearance. 3", h-pipe, to 2 1/2" flowmaster super 40s, also have cutouts that i never cap.  :grinyes:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006 - 04:50:31 AM »
1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible  540ci Indy Maxx Aluminum Block with Stage V Aluminum Heads: 2-1/4" Primary tti headers with 2" collectors. Jet Coated and polished. Runs to a 3" tti exhaust system with X-Pipe through to Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers and out through stock appearing exhaust tips.
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006 - 06:55:47 PM »
Sounds to me like the TTI headers are the easiest to put on. Anyone else running headers that are cheaper than TTI and bolt on just as easy?

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006 - 07:08:24 PM »
Dads Challenger - 340 4-speed and he has ceramic coated Hooker Competition headers that fit like a glove with power steering (I am extremely impressed with the quality for the price), the rest of the exhaust consist of a stainless steel 2.5 inch Magnaflow x-pipe system that is extremely nice but a pain in the ass to install.

My Challenger - 451 4-speed and I plan on running either Hooker super comps or TTIs. I liked the magnaflow system so much that I already bought one for my Challenger, so that will be my setup.....ohh I forgot about the header dumps that I plan on running ;D
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006 - 07:20:19 PM »
73 chally, 340 6 pack.  hooker comp headers with flowmaster mufflers and T/A side exhaust.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006 - 07:25:58 PM »
Can't help you there Jim, I'm running TTI's as well, 2-1/8 step headers into 3-1/2" collectors, flowmaster 50 series mufflers through 3" exhaust to the rear. They sound awesome, deep thumpy idle and very loud when hitting the throttle. I believe Oldschool has the same setup on his Cuda.
Here's a picture after getting the exhaust installed and then with headers only, notice no H or X pipe, I thought I was buying that when I ordered the piping but after taking a closer look online, I see my mistake. I will add it later. Just an added note, if anyone buys the kit from Summit that is made for a B body, not sure on the E bodies, they don't fit well at all. I had to modify them in many places to get them to fit good and look right. The exhaust tips will be added later. Good luck, show us what you end up doing.

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006 - 07:31:51 PM »
Dads Challenger - 340 4-speed and he has ceramic coated Hooker Competition headers that fit like a glove with power steering (I am extremely impressed with the quality for the price.

73 chally, 340 6 pack.  hooker comp headers with flowmaster mufflers and T/A side exhaust.

Do the Hooker headers require you to remove anything from the suspension or anything for that matter, aside from the stock exhaust manifolds to get them in?  :working:

Plum6Pak - very nice pics!

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006 - 12:25:53 AM »
Do the Hooker headers require you to remove anything from the suspension or anything for that matter, aside from the stock exhaust manifolds to get them in?

Yes actually, but just the two pins and two tower nuts for the pitman arm and inner tie rod on the drivers side....isnt a big deal unless your suspension is rusted together in which case you should probably replace it anyway. The headers arent as easy to put in as TTIs but they are half the cost.......
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline haplo

• no i am not
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006 - 04:35:08 PM »
 :aarg: 417 small block w2 heads tti headers with 2 .5  x pipe

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006 - 06:22:54 PM »
Yes actually, but just the two pins and two tower nuts for the pitman arm and inner tie rod on the drivers side....isnt a big deal unless your suspension is rusted together in which case you should probably replace it anyway. The headers arent as easy to put in as TTIs but they are half the cost.......

The passenger side doesn't have much ground clearance either.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005