Author Topic: Bumble Bee Stripe  (Read 3077 times)

Offline 1970RTSE

Re: Bumble Bee Stripe
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006 - 03:17:14 PM »
Link to drawing mentioned;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/engineeringDrawings/ei021.jpg

Lets chat a bit about that drawing.  It looks like the detail of "View in Circle Z" has dimensions on it (the numbers in the ovals, i.e. 128.4 as the start point).  I am guessing that there is a datum somewhere on the car and you measure 128.4 inches from the datum to get starting point.  If so, it looks like the first thin strip is about 1/4" and the space is about 1/4".  I say about since the difference to the larger solid part is 0.45", which is just under 1/2".  So where am I going wiht this?  Well, where is the datum? Is it the front edge of the fender?  Is it the CG of the car (which would make sense since 128 inces is about 10 feet, the overall length of the car is about 17 feet, but it is front heavy shifting CG to the front).

Now if all that makes sense, when I was the Hamtramck site, there is an engineering drawing for the placement of the R/T emblems.  That drawing did not seem to indicate how far, front to back, from the datum, the emblems should be placed.  IIRC, it did have the distances from the body line vor up/down measurements.  Anyway, I am just trying to make sense of these drawings.  If I am confused (Masters in engineering), I can imagine how the line workers felt when the first cars came down the line.

Offline 1970RTSE

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006 - 03:19:00 PM »
Lets chat a bit about that drawing.  It looks like the detail of "View in Circle Z" has dimensions on it (the numbers in the ovals, i.e. 128.4 as the start point).  I am guessing that there is a datum somewhere on the car and you measure 128.4 inches from the datum to get starting point.  If so, it looks like the first thin strip is about 1/4" and the space is about 1/4".  I say about since the difference to the larger solid part is 0.45", which is just under 1/2".  So where am I going wiht this?  Well, where is the datum? Is it the front edge of the fender?  Is it the CG of the car (which would make sense since 128 inces is about 10 feet, the overall length of the car is about 17 feet, but it is front heavy shifting CG to the front).

Now if all that makes sense, when I was the Hamtramck site, there is an engineering drawing for the placement of the R/T emblems.  That drawing did not seem to indicate how far, front to back, from the datum, the emblems should be placed.  IIRC, it did have the distances from the body line vor up/down measurements.  Anyway, I am just trying to make sense of these drawings.  If I am confused (Masters in engineering), I can imagine how the line workers felt when the first cars came down the line.

Looking at the drawing again, it looks like the 0 and 5 are indeed the distances from the datum.  Where 0 is right on the datum front to back.  This would seem to indicate that the referece is somewhere along the front fender.  Now I just gotta look at all the drawings to figure out exactly where.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006 - 06:03:26 PM »
I think that you may be thinking about it too hard.  ;)

You can bet that the line workers did not measure the cars, they just masked, sprayed and sent it on it's way down the line. Since the stripes were hand masked, the variables would be infinite.

I have some V9 stripe close up photos somewhere, I will look for them........

Barry

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006 - 07:00:27 PM »
Unrestored original stripe, note how bad the mask line is;

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006 - 07:06:29 PM »
2 more;

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006 - 07:43:53 PM »
Barry is that your car?

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006 - 08:12:28 PM »
Nope. I made a special visit to the owner's house after the Seattle show just to take these photos.  :cheers:

440 Sixpak car too.  :2thumbs:

Barry

Offline 426 pentastar

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006 - 01:55:30 PM »
The tail stripe ws painted on using a mask over the body color.If you ever see a true un restored car you will notice a touch of over-spray in the bumper area which was coused by the mask getting worn.Just like on NOS headlight bezels the black paint inst edeged  perfect like the re-pops are.

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006 - 09:29:46 AM »
2 more;
From your pics it looks like my secondary stripe may be too wide, but the pics do confirm that the stripe tucks up around bumper.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006 - 09:19:16 PM »
Guys, if you look at Barry's factory drawing the forward edge of the thin stripe starts in line with the forward point of the side indent for the rear bumper wraparound clearance. Don't go forward of that mark. Hope what I said here is clear. If I can I will post a pic of mine just done 3 months back
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline 1970RTSE

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006 - 08:50:14 AM »
Guys, if you look at Barry's factory drawing the forward edge of the thin stripe starts in line with the forward point of the side indent for the rear bumper wraparound clearance. Don't go forward of that mark. Hope what I said here is clear. If I can I will post a pic of mine just done 3 months back

Thanks.  I sanded some more off the side and it definetly looks like the strip color is on first.  I will charge up the camera and shoot a pick.  And the stripe on the car iahs edges that are very rough like the pictures above.  I now have some good references for repainting when I get there.