Author Topic: Shoulder Belts  (Read 7406 times)

Offline EVIL72

Re: Shoulder Belts
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006 - 11:12:42 PM »
I wish someone would market a set specifically to retrofit our cars. A bolt-in w/ retractors.
I'd pay whatever to have modern belts in my '70 that looked at performed right.

Me too, I always wear my shoulder belt......well I did until today when that little round plastic piece that helps hold the shoulder harness to the lap belt broke off. Now the shoulder harness just comes right unlatched.
 Anyone know if they sell replacement pieces? 
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006 - 08:30:41 AM »
I wish someone would market a set specifically to retrofit our cars. A bolt-in w/ retractors.
I'd pay whatever to have modern belts in my '70 that looked at performed right.

:iagree:  That would be great!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006 - 11:14:08 AM »
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wescoperformance_1912_208894

and

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/4-point-seat-belt.html

I came across these during a search, and thought it might be a good system.  The only downsides I can see are 1) drilling that floor hole, and 2) the stock seats won't have any provision for keeping the shoulder belts at the top of the seat.  This could be fixed with some quick sewing though.

Might be an option.

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006 - 12:03:22 PM »
I use seatbelts ALWAYS and require anyone in the car with me to do the same. In my 71 I only have lap belts and I would give anything  for a modern setup. 
NZ, is there any more info you can give us on your set up since you seem to be very happy with them?  Do you know if they are available here in the states?
This is a biggie to me and worth the investment but having someone like NZ that has positive experience with a given set up makes it that much better, I'd like to know if I could get a setup that's "proven" by somebody that I can trust (ie, other than a sales person"

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006 - 12:58:28 PM »
I'm going to be using a 74 Challenger set up.  It is a one piece set up.  I have not driven with these yet but they seem OK while sitting in the seat with them. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006 - 06:31:17 PM by Challenger6pak »
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006 - 02:17:15 PM »
There are 2 things I don't like about the way the belts are done in the 73 Challenger.  1st, it's a 2 piece belt, but the clip that attaches the shoulder to the lap belt doesn't look like it will stay positively connected if an accident occured.  2nd, it's attachment point to the frame of the car seems to me to be a weak spot.  There's no supporting B pillar as in modern vehicles. 

Guess it could be worse...we don't suffer from the 70's Mustang fire-trunk issue.  Apparently the Mustang gas tank would rupture in a rear impact, and spray the passenger compartment with gas.

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006 - 04:09:22 PM »
NZ, I would be keen also to find out details of how you set up your new-generation seat belts - what brand/part # (hopefully can access them in Oz), did they mount up to the original bolt holes, any problems with alignment to get the inertia reel to work without locking up all the time (i've heard that adjusting for this can be fiddly), did they fit under the original floor covers (I'm assuming this bit is similar to the cuda setup)????  On occaision I've toyed with the idea of just keeping the original belts for correctness but common sense/logic tells me that going with new belts is the only option - don't want to die with the car in a prang!  Cheers, Mark.
'70 Barracuda

daves70

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006 - 04:19:43 PM »
I don't use them. I probably should. :grinyes:

Offline willhaven

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006 - 06:36:28 PM »
I converted mine over to the modern three point inertia type belts, and use a belt whenever I drive. After 22 years in law enforcement I've seen what kind of difference seat and shoulder restraints make, even in a low speed crash.
Words of wisdom. Whenever I get a 'Cuda, I assume it isn't going to have shoulder belts, I will upgrade them for sure. If not a racing type harness, at least a modern 3 point style system.

Life is too short to die because you were too cool/lazy/dumb/cheap/careless to do so.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006 - 06:38:42 PM by willhaven »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006 - 08:04:28 PM »

ROMI and OzCuda - The belts are standard issue New Zealand Safety belts, every country has standards so I'm not sure if they'll be the same or not. I would presume so as all belts have to function correctly. Give your local vehicle testing station a call and find out where or who can supply/install new standard belts.

They don't fit on the stock location and do not retract away so they do hang there but we set ours up on the same angle as the seat so it hides 85% of the belt. Plus when you're driving that can't be seen as you are wearing them (obviously). They are not an issue with passengers getting to and from the rear, they simply give them a push to one side and hop in.

I agree with you both, they retract which is a MAJOR upgrade from factory originals "stop ya dead in ya tracks" feel. One of the best upgrades we made to the car by far. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

The photos below of the system are during restoration. We painted the base seat belt mechanism covers black as we did with all the interior screws and pieces etc, not correct but better than factory appearance.
You can see Dave in one photo blacking out the seat back panel screws........

Cheers,
Carl
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006 - 08:06:13 PM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006 - 08:21:31 PM »
Thanks for the pics NZ, and sorry to belabor the subject but HOW did you mount the upper point (at the headliner) does it just bolt into the roof rail or did you have to reinforce it ?

Offline jvhodges

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006 - 08:26:38 PM »
 :wow:Those are great, just what I'm looking for. If anyone here in the states has any idea on where to get these please post a link, I think they would be a big seller here, I know I would like to convert.
Thanks
Jeff

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006 - 10:10:29 PM »

Guess what guys.........  :clapping: I know who makes them and what style I'm using.  :naughty:

The are New Zealand and Australian standard belts made in Australia.
The companies name is, AutoLiv and their website is: www.autolivaftermarket.com

My style are called (name on the belt) Klippan. They bolt straight into the existing belt hole from your old shoulder belts and the bottom reel is bolted to the floor with a bracket. Ours was made by the installer himself. It's about 5-6" long and easy as piss to make (so says my Mechanic). So there you go, they take Visa & ship worldwide.

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

:cheers:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006 - 11:28:03 PM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005