What to do........

Author Topic: What to do........  (Read 7365 times)

Offline Hot_Rodder

What to do........
« on: September 01, 2006 - 03:34:50 PM »
OK, after the last few days that I've had, and the way they've gone, not being all that great, I went to just raching my brain about what to do with the Duster project of mine :violin:. Now, I'm not happy about starting yet another poll/tpoic about this car, but to me it seems that I would probably would be happy with either listing above, so I'd like to hear/see from other people what, in there/your, opinion would be what would probably be possibly more fun. Anyhow, here's the line up:
1: Rear axle, either way will be a Dana 60 so I don't have to worry about it, if I do turn it into a 440 car with lots of power.....
2: Motor, if the decision will be a 340, than I will proceed accordingly, if 440, well, the same....
3: Transmission, since the 340 can be turned up a little more than the 440, I was thinking of throwing a 4 speed behind a 340, and as far as a 440, well, my Charger was a 440 with auto, and it was fun, still hate selling it  :crying: but money was needed..... Now things have changed..
4: Interior/exterior will depend on if it is street only, street/strip, or strip only......
5: Suspension, same with the interior/exterior appearance....

Any questions? :drunk:

Offline ESGEE

• 1970 Challenger RT/SE
    • SG´s site
Re: What to do........
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006 - 03:51:11 PM »
Street, i love those sleepers, look like stock but is so much more :bigsmile:
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B196875)
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B115166)
70 Challenger SE(RT/SE clone)
69 Charger RT/SE 4speed Trackpac
70 Charger 500

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006 - 03:53:47 PM »
Forgive me if I haven't followed all of your threads.

My question is this... How do you see yourself driving this car? You could have one mean hummer on the track that you couldn't possibly drive on the road. I am just in it for the hiway cruising with my 440. I have lots of fun, but I'm sure my track times wouldn't set the world on fire, but I really don't care. So, what do you see as being fun driving-wise?  :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006 - 05:59:07 PM »
use a 440 4spd for street / strip
use the TTi headers & you will not have to cut anything if you want to resto the car later 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 - 09:29:49 PM »
Man it's been a while since I've been on.... :eek4:. Anyway, I've been thinking about that 383 Stroker idea that I've been thinking of lately. Wouldn't these headers: http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Headers-134%20Big%20Block/134BigBlock.htm fit on a 383 Magnum motor, using say the new design Mopar Stage 6 heads? Since they are a raised port head, they say you have to use a 440 designed intake on a low deck block (383), and on an RB motor, you have to use spacers. And on the subject of the Mopar Stage 6 heads, any input, or dare I even ask? :poopoke: I've been thinking of this because, the 383 is a little lighter than the 440, how much more I :dunno:. But, if this is going to be a street car, and I'm leaning a lot more toward it being a mean street car. Anyway, about the 383, since the Stage 6 heads are a raised port, if I stick with manual steering, will these headers work? Since the 440-4 Speed was suggested, and I know someone here in town with an A-833 just sitting around that he was gonna put in his A-body project (Barracuda) until he decided the body was to far gone, I can get it off him. Anyway, this is another idea I had floating around, so how about it?
383 Stroker, with 4 Speed manual street car?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 - 09:40:09 PM »
for a similar cost why not do a 400 stroker 451 ci with the 4 spd  ,the TTI header & stage 6 head idea will work

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007 - 01:42:49 AM »
use a 440 4spd for street / strip
use the TTi headers & you will not have to cut anything if you want to resto the car later 
:iagree:

Maybe use the overdrive 4-speed, that way you can run 3.91 or 4.10 gears and have great launching speed but still have decent rpm on the highway.  Just my  :2cents:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007 - 07:18:39 AM »
What do you want the car to do for you? Answer that first...

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007 - 05:39:30 PM »
What do you want the car to do for you? Answer that first...

If it's going to be a street car, which at this rate, it will be, then since it will be a once in a while weekend kind of deal, than I'm not worried about gas milage, or anything like that. But if I drive it to a show, like just down to Moultrie or something, then..... As far as performance, I'm thinking about with a 4 speed, either auto or manual, I can run a higher gear and get better highway than something like the 727 having only 3 speed.... Anyway, trying to get a top end out of it is ok, but I'm looking toward more of a stop light to stop light roaster or something among those lines....

As far as parts, the new style Mopar Stage 6 heads, along with the TTI's seems to be a go?

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007 - 10:05:02 PM »
for a similar cost why not do a 400 stroker 451 ci with the 4 spd
  :iagree:
 Even though a 340 in a Duster is a great combination, a big block in such a light car is just plain brutal! You'll be grinning ear to ear every time you stomp on the gas!
 If you really want to mess with people put the 340 stripes down the side!

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007 - 04:21:19 AM »
for a similar cost why not do a 400 stroker 451 ci with the 4 spd  ,the TTI header & stage 6 head idea will work

It is sounding to me like you are leaning on the big block side of things and are interested in drag racing it some. So do yourself a favor and head CP and Evil72's advice and start lookin' for a 400. Lightest Mopar big block of 'em all, economical-ish to build, and you can stroke it to cRaZy displacement. 440source.com buddy, yeah.

Now, if you wanna get serious and plop down some serious mullah, let's talk about the R3 block and some W5's and stroke that sucker to 427 cubes. It'll hurt your brain to price it out so you might wanna stick to the cheaper big blocks.

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007 - 06:06:54 AM »
It is sounding to me like you are leaning on the big block side of things and are interested in drag racing it some. So do yourself a favor and head CP and Evil72's advice and start lookin' for a 400. Lightest Mopar big block of 'em all, economical-ish to build, and you can stroke it to cRaZy displacement. 440source.com buddy, yeah.

Now, if you wanna get serious and plop down some serious mullah, let's talk about the R3 block and some W5's and stroke that sucker to 427 cubes. It'll hurt your brain to price it out so you might wanna stick to the cheaper big blocks.

If I do a 400 block stroker, instead of the 383 or 440 stoker, then about the only thing that would be different would be the block, and probably the overall cid. There's a guy just down the road that has a 400 motor that had a manual behind it, but there's no telling what condition it's in. It's sitting in the bed of an old military truck, with a clutch assembly on the back, and no exhuast anything on it.... So the heads are shot, due to the rust that's in the exhuast ports.... But I think it's a truck block, so.... Here's one kit that looks kind of interesting......  :naughty:

400 >> 512. (4.250" stroke/6.535" rod) Approximate Bobweight: 2125 
Turn that unwanted old 400 "smog" motor into one of the most awesome stroker motors you can build! You'll hardly be able to contain the massive torque and horsepower gained by adding an incredible 112 cubic inches to your 400 "B" block! The low deck, 4.250" stroke version of our Platinum Series crank used in this kit has the smaller 2.200" (big block Chevy sized) journals, and the counterweights are finished at the smaller "B" engine size, to ensure they will drop right into the block with no counterweight clearancing issues. Depending on the block used, many of customers find this kit drops right in with no modifications whatsoever! And now, we have pistons available OFF THE SHELF in .035" AND 040" oversizes. If you have a 400 block that has already been bored .035" and needs to go to the next size up, it used to require a custom made piston. This meant hundreds of dollars extra and 4-6 weeks of waiting. We got tired of telling our customers there would be extra charges and a long wait, so now we stock both flat-top and dished pistons in flattop AND dished configurations! And the best part? Any of the pistons listed below are included in this kit for our standard unbelievably low stroker kit price! Sure, we could easily jack up the price for the extra larger bore sizes or options like a dished piston, but that's not what we're about. AND, we normally keep everything listed on our our shelf and ready to ship, usually within 24 hours. Please note that Clevite's only main bearings available for 400 engines are the "P" series bearings. These bearings may require slight modification to clear the larger radius on our cranks. Most shops will be able to do this without a problem. See our Bearings page for details. We keep all the kits listed below normally on our our shelf and ready to ship, usually within 24 hours, and keep an eye out for high compression domed pistons for this kit coming soon!

Kit options:
Rings and Bearings package deal:
Add Clevite 77's top of the line performance chamfered rod bearings and full groove mains. (MS876P and CB743H)
AND Childs & Albert or Total Seal ductile iron Plasma-Moly File Fit rings. All 3 items (rod bearings, main bearings and ring set) are just: $248!!

For some quick math, that makes the whole stroker kit with premium chamfered rod & main bearings and rings, come to $1447!! ($1199+$248=$1447!)

Additional Kit options:
Add Clevite's "TRI ARMOR" moly graphite coating to the above rod bearings: $64
Upgrade to Childs & Albert Zero Gap "ZGS" Ductile Iron or Total Seal Premium gapless Rings (add to above): $175
Upgrade to I beam rods with ARP2000 bolts: $50
Upgrade to Platinum Series Dished Pistons: $NO CHARGE

As far as compression ratios, they range from 14.25 down to 9.60 listings. But anyway, this is the biggest kit listed for the 400 block, they have others that are smaller. This is from 440 Source, so... I still am leaning heavily toward aluminum heads.... Like the Mopar Performance Stage 6 (new style) heads.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007 - 11:30:48 AM »
personally I would not exceed 470CI in a 400 block for street use , the rod ratio will be horrible in a 512 ci 400 block
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007 - 02:00:08 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007 - 01:57:53 PM »
What CP said. I am currently assembling a 505 (which is the same kit, Brandon uses .060 over as a bore size in his advertisements...) in an RB block. The 400s are good, but you are asking for issues with header fitment using many heads and a B block as a base. TTI I think has the only sets for them. I would eithe go RB and make it a 505, or keep it small at 470 with the 3.90 crank. For this engine, I have the dished piston and 84cc Edelbrock RPMs. A tight quench and dish mean a very streetable 10.3:1 or so, so it should run excellent on mid grade unleaded. A real nice package would be the 470 with a stick I think. Hard to drive on the strip, but fun.