Author Topic: Ever feel like you want to push your car off a cliff?  (Read 7852 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Re: Ever feel like you want to push your car off a cliff?
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2006 - 05:34:46 PM »
Just a thought. If the rear two cylinders are getting fouled up, I wonder if you blew the rear power valve? Did you try checking it? I imagine Holley wuld not have overlooked that...

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2006 - 05:41:02 PM »
Just a thought. If the rear two cylinders are getting fouled up, I wonder if you blew the rear power valve? Did you try checking it? I imagine Holley wuld not have overlooked that...

Holley's only have one power valve. That is in the primary side.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Robb

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2006 - 06:09:51 PM »
 Holley double pumpers have two power valves.    1 front and 1 rear

EDIT:  I would have bet 50$ that my 800 dp holley has a rear power valve, I rejetted it several times, but now I gotta check if it does or not.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006 - 10:53:05 PM by Robb »

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2006 - 06:12:34 PM »
My first thought was bad fuel, fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter, then I started thinking maybe an intake Vaccum leak (try the propane trick, it works great!) then after that I thought that with all the tinkering you've been doing maybe somewhere along the line you had a backfire or two? Holleys are VERY sensitive to backfires, sometimes it only takes a small one to trash the power valve, after that they run like garbage until it's replaced. Have all these areas been explored yet?

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2006 - 07:02:56 PM »
I replaced the intake gaskets 3 times, each time checked for a leak with propane.  All's good there.  I tried 4 different power valves (3.5, 4.5, 6.5, 8.5) and they all would not idle.  Also took the back bowl off to see if there was a power valve and there wasn't.  This is a 750 Double Pumper HP.

The bottom line.... this engine seems to have to much vaccum and keeps sucking fuel.  As the RPM's go down the vacuum goes up and it eventualy dies from to much gas.  When I get the carb back I will run more tests and get a vacuum reading as the RPM's come down.

thanks for all the ideas guys!

My first thought was bad fuel, fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter, then I started thinking maybe an intake Vaccum leak (try the propane trick, it works great!) then after that I thought that with all the tinkering you've been doing maybe somewhere along the line you had a backfire or two? Holleys are VERY sensitive to backfires, sometimes it only takes a small one to trash the power valve, after that they run like garbage until it's replaced. Have all these areas been explored yet?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2006 - 11:00:33 PM »
Cody, do you have a stock iron intake and a decent Carter to toss on there? (Personally I hate Holleys) Maybe the carb is the issue?

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2006 - 11:09:29 PM »
I do have 3 other intakes to try, but I sold the Carter carb.  I'm going to wait and see what Holley find outs once they get it tested.  If they don't find anything, I'll try a new Carter to see what happens.  I also have an ace in my pocket that should solve everything!  Wink Wink!

Cody, do you have a stock iron intake and a decent Carter to toss on there? (Personally I hate Holleys) Maybe the carb is the issue?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline v8440

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2006 - 04:35:10 PM »
Too rich?  I'm thinking stuck float.  It's basic, but not uncommon.  I guess it's a little late now, since the carb has gone off to Holley.  I wish I could have taken a crack at it before it was sent off.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2006 - 07:26:49 AM »
Too rich?  I'm thinking stuck float.  It's basic, but not uncommon.  I guess it's a little late now, since the carb has gone off to Holley.  I wish I could have taken a crack at it before it was sent off.

:iagree:

Or stuck/bad needle/seat assembly. Did you check the float settings?

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2006 - 10:48:27 AM »
Carbs work by either gravity or pressure differential. "too much vaccum" is not a problem. I think you need to find a local performance shop to look into it. At least when the engine work gets done maybe they can fix the rest of it. What is your base timing? What is the vaccum reading at idle out of and in gear?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2006 - 02:19:48 PM »
that carb has basically been defective since it was delivered

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2006 - 03:37:47 PM »
that carb has basically been defective since it was delivered

:smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2006 - 05:56:53 PM »
I'm still waiting for a new rear bowl.  The 5 WRONG was was sent to me today.  The keep sending the wrong bowl in different labeled boxes.

I would NEVER do busines with Holley again.  What a bunch of morons.  :villagers:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2006 - 06:26:10 PM »
I'm still waiting for a new rear bowl.  The 5 WRONG was was sent to me today.  The keep sending the wrong bowl in different labeled boxes.

I would NEVER do busines with Holley again.  What a bunch of morons.  :villagers:

I'm sorry CODY,

But I love these kind of stories.  :grinyes:   :poopoke:  I'm glad it just isn't me with bad Mopar karma.   :bricks1: Holley's rule. Do you have a local speed shop that you can deal with?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2006 - 07:05:48 PM »
Cody,  send me your carb and I'll fix it for you. We have a Holley speed shop right in St. Louis and I can get anything needed.  Holleys are so simple to tune, it's hard to see why you're having so many problems without having it in front of me.  This post was started so long ago that I thought that you were good to go.  Send me a PM, if you want to take me up on my offer and I'll send you my address.

P.S. no charge except for the bowl and anything I think it needs like a power valve check ball.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0