Author Topic: Rust hole in fuel tank. How to repair?  (Read 10461 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Rust hole in fuel tank. How to repair?
« on: September 07, 2006 - 08:51:24 AM »
Hi guys!  Thanks in advance for any advice!  Sorry if this is a Mickey Mouse question.

I discovered a hole in my tank that is about 1/4 or so at the center at the lowest point.  I tried the stuff to plug the tank from the local auto parts store but it still leaks.

I wanted to see what i can do without replacing the tank as $$$ is a problem.

Can I remove the tank and solder it up?  Sorry, I don't have a welder. 

Will it continue rusting even if I cut out/grind out the rusted edges? 

Does the inside of the tank have to be coated with something?

Sorry for the wierd questions.  Thanks!  :)
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Rust hole in fuel tank. How to repair?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006 - 08:56:09 AM »
Many years ago when new tanks weren't available . . . I would have a local shop coat the tank with a product they called "gas tank renuw"  Now you can just buy a new tank!!   :clueless:   But as you are tight on money . . . I guess you could weld it.    :grinyes:

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006 - 09:02:27 AM »
You have to be very careful repairing gas tanks.  Myself, I would have a shop that does these kind of repairs do this for you.
Along time ago (15 years), I had a friend have a Challenger tank repaired.  I believe they relined the tank and don't remember how much the repair cost.
At the time, I thought he should have just bought a new tank.  The damage was more than just a single hole.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006 - 09:14:51 AM »
This is the same thing I had done to my tank . . . as new tanks weren't available 15 years ago.  But it cost 200 bucks back then.  Now you can buy a new tank for just over 100 bucks.  I still have that tank in the hardtop and it works great.   :2thumbs:

http://gastankrenu.com/

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006 - 10:22:58 AM »
I tried JB Weld . It seemed to hold well. I don't have my tank back  on the car as of yet but I did put gas in it and let it set for a while. No leaks.  I had more than one hole too.  While  repairing I also had it sandblasted inside to remove any rust and open any more small holes. So far, So good. 
Dave or David

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006 - 05:08:04 PM »
Don't mess with welding on tanks, get a new one. What if it starts leaking later, that gas could burn your house down with all of your cars and lives with it.  Soooo, how much would you pay right now to get your house, car, and kids back?
$100?  $200?

Let's say that you are buying insurance, by investing in a new tank.

Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006 - 05:12:26 PM »
Maybe I'm off-base here, but I thought it was risky welding to a used tank, since the trapped fumes inside could cause a major explosion?    :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006 - 06:23:23 PM »
I will assume that if there is a hole rusted that the rest of the tank is pretty well trashed, this was my situation and after researching decided that new tank was cheaper than trying to clean & line the old one, of course there were other expenses that went along, new sending unit, sock, filler tube grommet, all total a somewhere shy of $250.00 BTW it seems that all the new tanks come from the same source. IF I had to do some to get by how about a tank drain that would require opening up the hole & getting a nut inside, maybe a tranny drain kit would work about $7 at Summitt http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+%2D120229&D=%2D120229
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006 - 08:52:27 PM »
Thanks for all the great replies guys!  I really appreciate it!  :thumbsup:  :bigsmile:

I know that since it's already rusting there's bound to be more holes to come in the future so inevitably I'll have to get a new tank.

Anyone have any economically priced ones to suggest?  (Read: cheap!)  I see one on Ebay for $160 plus $35 S+H.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006 - 09:04:10 PM »
That's about it although you might wait & save maybe $20.00 but the S&H is where you get bit. If you can find a supplier with everything you need & will combine for no more shipping you will come out ahead as apposed to cherry picking prices from different sources.
here is an ebay for 145+S&H but they don't list anything else  :dunno:                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-72-1-2-CHALLENGER-GAS-TANK-AMERICAN-CR8F_W0QQitemZ330024304054QQihZ014QQcategoryZ34198QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006 - 09:17:29 PM »
Cool!  Thanks for the fast reply, bullitt!  :thumbsup:

Gotta save up my nickles and dimes now!  :biggrin:

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006 - 08:29:21 AM »
Maybe I'm off-base here, but I thought it was risky welding to a used tank, since the trapped fumes inside could cause a major explosion?    :dunno:

Mike

Most radiator shops will boil the tank out just like they do to radiators before welding on them. I had a stress crack on the inside surface of one of the gas tanks on my Harley where it doesn't show when the tank is on the bike. I took it to a local welder I've known for years and really trust to see if he could fix it without me having to repaint the tank. He purged all the air out of the tank with an inert gas (probably CO2) then welded the crack with no problem. He told me he does automotive tanks the same way.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006 - 11:53:47 AM »
I welded one up years ago when I couldn't get one. I filled it with water first to get everything out of it.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006 - 02:51:53 PM »
392heminut, and shelbydogg,

Thanks for calming me fears. I just pictured some shade tree mechanic setting off a bomb trying to weld some hole himself.   :22yikes:  :22yikes:  :22yikes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006 - 10:52:04 PM »
I have waved a propane torch over the tank opening & it just goes pop burns off the gas fumes & then welded on the tank no problem ti reall yis an overrated explosion

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t