Author Topic: How many here that did their own ground up resto @ sandblasted the undercarriage  (Read 1076 times)

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
I am hating the sandblasting the bottom and wondering if anyone else here is as stupid as I am without a rotiserrie?lol.I just didnt want to build one and then only use it once,so i am blasting by jacking one side of the car up. :eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :pullinghair: :swear:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline rusty dodge

• 74 challenger 440-727-3:55
I sandblasted mine, we ended up putting it up on the lift at the body shop.

I 1st started doing it with it tilted, like you plan to do. That will work fairly well, but you will probably miss some spots. You will need a brite worklight, like a 150w halogen floodlight, so you can see whats going on.

Its a big mess to do either way. It defenitly can be done that way, and well worth it when you get it finished.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
Hmmmm, I had mine on a rotisarie, but did it by hand, heat & scrapers on the undercoating, a little solvent to get the rest, many many wire wheels to get the rust, a lot of paitence but it gets done eventually, I had new floor & trunk pans, so tunnel & rear floor pans back, rails etc had to be done!

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
After neutralizing the remaining rust & etching the metal I shot a coat of por 15 & then primed it , eventually got around to painting it!

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
Luckily sine mine is a calif car the stuff came off rather easily except for lying under getting blasted with sand.My paint guy says all i need is DTM primer sealer and then paint before the 30 minute flashtime of Valspar DTM 2K primer.THe bottom will probably get finished and painted this weekend
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
I had Ace Stripping in Detroit do the convert. :worshippy

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
I had Ace Stripping in Detroit do the convert. :worshippy
Ah the easy way out!Kidding,at this point I "ALMOST" wish i would have sent it in to be done :bigsmile:
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline rtgambit

• Member since March 31, 2003
My two cents?

If you only plan on sandblasting then you're probably wasting money on a rotisserie (unless you can rent it by the week or day).

If you have a large amount of metal to replace on the bottom in addition to media blasting, then a rotisserie may not be a bad idea, especially if you plan on tackling other cars once this one is finished.
Matthew
1967 Dodge Dart GT
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2014 Ram 1500

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
Sandblasting was all i need to do.After all this work I dont think I will be taking the Chally down to the same stripped level I have the GC.Its too much work.I will probably only do the outside but may change my mind down the road IF i decide to do another ground up resto.Even if i do,the CHally has been in calif all its life as well and needs nothing other than stripping Undercoating and blasting,if I take it to that level.It will be a couple of years I am sure before I would want to tackle another in depth resto.Once the GC is finished I will rebuild the Chally Trans and drive it for a while first,Since it is a 20 footer
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3