Author Topic: How rare was this Challenger that I passed on back in the day?  (Read 755 times)

Offline KillerBee

How rare was this Challenger that I passed on back in the day?
« on: September 12, 2006 - 09:22:37 PM »
About 12 years ago a buddy bought a 1972 Challenger. He was not into Mopars but has always liked my Challengers so he decided to buy it since it was dirt cheap. The car had some rust, the floors and frame were decent. It would have taken some time but it was restorable.
The car was an original 318 I believe and it was gold in color?
What was unique about the car was it was a factory sunroof car.
Well my buddy kept the car untouched in his mom's garage for about 3 years and finally decided to sell it. He offerd it to me first but I didn't have the time or a place to put it.
He tried in vain to sell it on and off for about a year and was down to $500 on his price which almost tempted me to buy it. Well about a month later I decided to ask him again about it and he said somebody from out of state came and cut the roof off the car and took the rest of it to the crusher  :crying:
So how rare was this 1972 sunroof Challenger, was this one of those man I wish I would have bought it deals?

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: How rare was this Challenger that I passed on back in the day?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006 - 08:57:27 AM »
Hmm...I'm not sure what it was $$$ wise, but a factory sunroof on any year was rare.  Would've made a nice cruiser!

Since it was on a '72 I wouldn't kick yourself too much, but still it was a sunroof.  The guy that has it now probably put it on a '70 or '71 car.  I'm not sure what it'll do to the value of his car though, unless the '70 or '71 car was an original sunroof car that was missing the sunroof/roof or something.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006 - 06:22:13 PM »
If we only knew then what these cars would be worth.  I bought a Panther Pink 70R/T Challenger with a 413 (it was a factory 383 car) in it for $150.  Drove it around long enough to burn off the tires, then it sat in backyard for 6 months.  Mom got fed up and had it towed to junkyard.  Only thing I got off the car was the Rallye cluster and rear valance.  This was around 1982.

Offline 426 pentastar

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006 - 05:56:09 PM »
In the early eighties i would throw cars away and never think about the furture value and now ##%&*()(*^%**%$!@!_)*()**&*())(* IF ONLY WE KNEW????