First fire up!

Author Topic: First fire up!  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Mike71Cuda

First fire up!
« on: September 14, 2006 - 09:03:25 AM »
I finally got back to finishing the install of the Hemi in my Curious Cuda. Thanks to everyone for there knowledge on the details, I could not have done it without you guys/gurls! So now for the really important questions: What do to for first fire up?
I know to build up oil pressure-I am going to crank over car with no coil wire to get the flow going. Got my Oil pres gauge all starighted out. What else? What is the best way to burn the cam in-someone told me to run car just above 1,000 rpm steady for 15 minutes, turn car off for a 1/2 hour, and repeat? DOes cam lube disapate, after so long? Any way to freshen up? Engine has sat in my garage for over 5 years, I have turned crank periodically to avoid cease up. Engine is a brand new, 0 mile engine (block heads crank from MP, all other stuff is aftermarket). Running engine with 30 weight conventional oil. Will flush it and replace oil once it is broken in. Don't want to come this far and wipe it out right outta the box. All comments welcomed. Thanks again for your help in advance.
Smitty

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
Re: First fire up!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006 - 09:21:15 AM »
This is what I would do. First dump a can of GM Engine Oil Supplement in with the oil, will help with the cam break-in. I would remove the distributor and oil pump drive gear and prime the engine oiling system with a drill and a rod made for that purpose, turning the crank with a breaker bar 1/4 of a turn at a time through 2 full revolutions while doing so. If you are going to do it the way you mentioned by using the starter then pull the plugs while doing it. Upon start-up I set the timing, then run the engine up to between 2000 and 2500 RPM and keep it there for 20 minutes. Then shut the car off and let it cool down. That's it. I've never wiped a cam lobe yet doing it like that.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006 - 09:43:50 AM »
Thank you so much Will do what you said and post some pics.
Smitty

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006 - 09:55:38 AM »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006 - 11:07:00 AM »
I agree use EOS , prime the engine but not by cranking it over try to get it fired instantly , have gas in the carb etc , I run it between 1800 -2000 for 20-30 mins , do not rev it up during this period , get the timing set as soon as it is running to keep it running cool

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006 - 07:17:44 PM »
Just a note. The drill has to be in reverse for the pump to prime the motor....

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006 - 10:09:02 AM »
Thanks for the link. Have a question regarding the
Moparts Tech Archive--Motor General--Starting (1st Fire-up) of New Motor
~ The Initial Fire-Up ~Course #101

Step #6 - Return the motor to TDC (top dead center). The easiest way to find TDC is to continue to turn the crank clockwise with the rachet, watching the valve train on #1 cylinder. During this hand rotation, confirm that the #1 intake valve has opened. As it begins to close, turn your attention to the harmonic balancer, until the next time the mark on it comes dead even with the zero on the timing indicator. You are now at TDC on the compression stroke, and that's where you want to leave things for the next important step.

With my hemi I have zero clearance (clarence) to remove valve cvrs to see #1 Valve opening. Is there a work around this (I am not pulling booster off!)javascript:void(0);
:clueless:? BTW Great resource!

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006 - 12:14:00 PM »
My buddy suggests that I use that whistle that when inserted into cylinder whistles at TDC. But will it work on hemi valve covers. Any comments?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006 - 12:28:19 PM »
Well the good ole do-it -yerself way is to put your finger in the plug hole & when the pressure blows it off your almost there, then rotate crank till the timing mark & pionter line up.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Theskrich

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006 - 08:18:58 PM »
Lunati's is a little different than what I have heard before.

We have found that utilizing straight 30 weight, non-detergent motor oil works best for initial start up and cam break in. Switching to a multi-grade, premium quality oil for your climate conditions is acceptable after the first 500 miles of engine operation. DO NOT use synthetic or synthetic blend oils prior to the first 5000 miles of engine operation.
Lunati recommends filling the oil filter with fresh oil in addition to the crankcase prior to initial start up.
Filling the carburetor float bowls, or priming the injection pump will facilitate quick engine start up. This prevents cam and lifter wear during the initial engine firing. Once the engine fires, Lunati recommends setting the throttle RPM at 2000-2500 for the first 20 minutes of run time. After the first 20 minutes, we suggest increasing the engine RPM in increments of 500 RPM for 1 minute at a time up to 3500. After reaching 3500 RPM and maintaining for one minute, begin to decrease RPM in increments of 500
RPM for 1 minute at a time until the engine is back down to 1000 RPM. Once this is accomplished, your Lunati cam and lifters have successfully completed their initial break in run cycle.
In the event your engine develops a problem (overheating, fuel leak, etc.) shut the engine off immediately, let it cool down, repair the problem and resume your break in procedure.
After you’ve completed the break-in procedure, let the engine cool and then drain the oil. Discard the oil and oil filter and replace both, using clean, fresh oil of the correct weight.
Once you’ve completed all of the steps we’ve outlined, your new Lunati cam and lifters should perform flawlessly for a long time to come.

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006 - 10:20:20 AM »
Thanks for your input
Smitty

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006 - 10:43:49 AM »
GM EOS
Is there any diff from the GM stuff as compared to tehe Lucas supplement, STP etc.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006 - 09:26:52 PM »
I wouldn`t use STP , you need an additive with zink & phosphate  not sure what different additive contain ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006 - 01:28:57 PM »
Here's what I do.:
 Pull all of the plugs.
If you have double springs on the valves, pull out the inner springs or use a set of old weak springs for the break in.
Prime the engine by hand with a 3/8 tipped speed wrench hex in the pump, while turning the crank a little at a time till I see oil at both heads. (do not crank with starter till you get oil pressure, by then it's too late)
Find Top dead center, #1 compression Stroke, with my finger over the #1 plug hole.
Line up distributor to point to #1 plug wire.
Set timing with a timing light while cranking with plugs out. lock it down, install plugs-wires.
Fill carb with electric fuel pump and check for leaks.
Start it up and hold it at 2500 for 20-30 mins, while topping off radiator and watching oil and temp guages.

After cool down. Change oil, filter and valve springs.
The important thing is to not excessively crank the engine for any reason. It will wipe all of the lube off of your cam.

You CAN set your timing BEFORE you put your pushrods in.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006 - 02:01:36 PM »
Plugs are pulled
Hemi valves covers are smack up against everything (see picture), so pulling them may not be an option (at least not on drivers side)
I have MP hex prime rod, that should do (or I will buy )
Seeing oil at both heads (again) w/o cvrs off is a problem, short of seeing at breatehr/oil cap holes