Author Topic: Fuel line plumbing suggestions?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Fuel line plumbing suggestions?
« on: September 18, 2006 - 01:25:08 PM »
I got an update on my engine last week and the block (last component) should finally arrive at my builders on Sept 25.   So far, I think I have almost everything I will need to install the engine not long after it finally all gets delivered to me, except the fuel line plumbing.

Should I run a hard line or use something like Earl's Perform-O-Flex?  :dunno: What would be the suggestions from you guys?  The constants that I know are that I will be running a AN10 feed line and a AN8 return.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Fuel line plumbing suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006 - 01:47:40 PM »
I got an update on my engine last week and the block (last component) should finally arrive at my builders on Sept 25.   So far, I think I have almost everything I will need to install the engine not long after it finally all gets delivered to me, except the fuel line plumbing.

Should I run a hard line or use something like Earl's Perform-O-Flex?  :dunno: What would be the suggestions from you guys?  The constants that I know are that I will be running a AN10 feed line and a AN8 return.

I just ran Aluminum 3/8s hard line from my tank, to pump, to carb. Went pretty easily. I'd definately go with any type of braided line since you will be running some pretty thick diameter lines.  I personally would just go with the summit or jegs name lines, last i heard russell makes them. 20ft of -10 is $110 vs $176 for the Earls perform-o-flex.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006 - 03:24:49 PM »
HemiDog,

Are you talking about the tank to the front, or just from where the stock hard line stops in the engine bay, to the fuel pump, then the carb(s)?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006 - 03:37:38 PM »
HemiDog,

If you are interested I have this setup left over as my mechanic wanted to go stock with mine.  I will give you a good deal if it works for you. The lines are 3/8's (I don't know what that equates to in the AN fitting system) and the fuel pump is a Carter M4862.  It was for a dual feed Street Demon carb that I originally bought and it has an in-line fuel filter also.

Ed
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006 - 03:41:20 PM »
I am talking all the way from the tank to the distribution block on the motor.
My pump is in the the tank.  It is an Aeromotive A1000 that will feed a EFI system.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006 - 03:44:43 PM »
I am talking all the way from the tank to the distribution block on the motor.
My pump is in the the tank.  It is an Aeromotive A1000 that will feed a EFI system.

You rule man!!   :bigshades:

You are beyond my knowledge here.  :grinyes: That sounds awesome!! EFI on a Hemi...   :burnout:  Good luck.  :wave:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006 - 12:55:02 PM »
I guess my real question is "Is it safe and a good practice to run a braided line the entire way?"  Or is the hard line the way to go?  I am not looking to go to something original of coarse, but just the easiest, safest, and best performance I can get.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006 - 04:16:00 PM »
Just my humble opinion, but I think a hard line to the engine compartment is the way to go(probably cheaper too). You don't have to worry about any flexing. I would hope a 3/8 inch line would work for you.

I just think running a braided line the entire way, would be kinda like running a rubber line the entire way. It would need much more support than the hard line. I just think it might be a big pain to install, although it would definitely look good.  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006 - 09:54:20 AM »
Since you are going #10 feed(5/8") and #8 return (1/2").   I would run the braided all the way, front to rear. Hard lines would be a nightmare to bend up.   Fittings would be a snap too and it would easily hook to the A-N fittings on the Fuel rails and return regulator.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0