Author Topic: Crazy timing question 440  (Read 921 times)

Offline MyMopar

Crazy timing question 440
« on: September 18, 2006 - 02:36:01 PM »
I don't think I'm crazy so here it goes.
I finally found my timing light and for ha ha's decided to check the engine.  It has been running fine with no problems but again wanted to check.  From what I found out, it was running at 24* total.  I advanced it to 34* total, but the weird thing is that it is running 34* all the time, idle to 6000rpm.  SO here's my set-up, again it is running fine and I know how to use the timing light, so I thought.

MSD Pro Billet dist. (no vac. advanced)
Holley Street Annihilator Ignition

TO get the mark on " 0 " , I had to dial 34* into the timing light at idle (780 rpm), then when I revved the motor, the mark moved off zero (if I recall the mark jumped up to the right) but quickly returned w/o moving off zero while I revved up to 6000. Is this normal for this set-up?  Like I said before never had a problem, did this and now I basically just want to understand.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Crazy timing question 440
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006 - 03:41:42 PM »
This is not possible.  :clueless:

My first guess was something wrong with the distributor not returning the timing back to it's static setting after the engine was revved. But I can't believe your car would sit at idle being advanced to 34*. NO way.

The way I do it is to check my static timing(at idle) with the light dialed to "0". It's usually in the 12-14* BTDC. Then rev the engine to 2500-3000RPM, and use the dial on the timing light to get it back to it's static setting. That gives me my total advance. I think I'm in the 36* range.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006 - 11:31:50 PM »
the timing mark on the damper could be off if the outer ring has slipped
 as you rev the engine the timing has to advance with increased Rpm if not the dist advance is not working right 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006 - 08:51:24 AM »
Hmmm, I'm going to have to work on this one.  I'll see about getting some pics.  I'll have to get #1 at TDC and check to see where the balancer mark is.  I'll go from there and let you know what I find out.
My timing light displays both the RPM and advance on the LCD screen and at 780 rpm I have to dial in 34* to get the mark back to zero on the balancer.  And like I stated, that mark DOES NOT MOVE from 700-6000 rpm, it will jump once real quick when it revs up, but if you weren't watching, you wouldn' t notice the jump. 

I'm wondering if this might be causing a problem I do have.  I noticed when I'm really climbing in the revs say 2nd gear 4800 rpm and more, the engine sounds like it is breaking up, as if it hits a rev limiter and is dropping cylinders.  I still have to check on the vac. secondary, it may not be opening enough and I have to do a pass to check the plugs to see if they are showing a lean condition.  But one problem at a time.  I'm just curious about the timing now as what I'm seeing and what you're telling me it seems like I have a problem.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006 - 10:20:08 AM »
sounds like it is overadvancing at higher rpm , this will cause it to drop cylinders

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t