Author Topic: Correct way to paint the front clip /engine bay of a 70 e-body?  (Read 10493 times)

Offline EvilTwinATX

Correct way to paint the front clip /engine bay of a 70 e-body?
« on: September 18, 2006 - 04:12:13 PM »
I should be painting the engine bay and door jams soon...or at least I hope to make a lot of headway towards that. Question:
What is the correct way to paint the engine bay / frame /k-member, etc...??? Please include finishes (i.e Satin) if you know it...

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
Re: Correct way to paint the front clip /engine bay of a 70 e-body?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006 - 06:04:35 PM »
The cowl, inner fenders, core support, and frame, are body color. The k-frame is black in color. If you will explain what you mean by etc.  we can help with the colors.  Also is the car an R/T, T/A or plain Challenger?
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006 - 10:52:16 PM »
6pak.. thanks for the answer. I am building an R/T Clone with a Shaker Hood and T/A Wing... not correct or #'s matching car (original 318 car)... but I want it to be mostly correct but I am doing some minor things the way I like it (like the T/A Wing).

I am redoing the car in B5 Blue and want to do it right the first time.. :bigsmile:

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006 - 11:24:44 PM »
I'll leave out all the bolt on part details, I'll just discuss body color painted parts only here.

Bolt on the doors, fenders, hood hinges, hood, and header panel.  Before bolting on the fenders, don't forget the strip of seam sealer that goes between the upper fenders and the upper inner fenders as it gets painted over as well, add any seam sealer around the hood hinges and other areas (look at original cars for reference as to where). Now, align ALL of the componants to thier final adjusted location, this is critical as once painted you can't adjust anything without ruining your paint finish on attaching hardware and seam sealer. From the factory all of the nuts and bolts the hold the sheet metal on the car were painted along with the rest of the car which is why adjusting them is a problem after paint, cracked paint will surely be the outcome if you start turning bolts to adjust sheet metal after paint.

The front and rear valance panels were painted off the car and added after paint so those can be left off for now, but be sure to paint it all at the same time or you could have shade differences when it's all assembled. Obviously thier attaching hardware does not get painted. I like to have the front and rear valances sprayed suspended in the same direction as if bolted to the car to get any metal flake flowing in the same direction as the rest of the car.

Once you have the front sheet metal all bolted up and aligned properly it's time to spray it all body color. The factory did a poor job of painting underneath the panels, 90% of thier surfaces usually remained in primer/sealer, and for an OE restoration this is the way to leave them, but for most purposes it's a good idea to paint all of the undersides while the parts are off the car prior to assembly.

Once you have everything painted you can add the other bolt componants which are a mixture of bare metal, Cosmoline coated cast iron, and various shades of black painted parts such as the K-member. BTW, the camber bolts and washers DID NOT get any body paint, they were black phosphate, I can't begin to tell you how many painters paint these body color! They really stick out like a sore thumb on an otherwise correct looking under hood restoration.

Hope this helped a bit,
Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006 - 09:12:42 PM by Harms inc. »

Offline 1970RTSE

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006 - 10:41:45 AM »
Not sure if you have your car totally apart (i.e. all suspension, k-fram, interior) removed, but here are some other detail tips that can make a difference if its not.  If you leave the shocks, upper control arm bolts or heater box in the car, mask them off.  The shell was painted without anything attached, and this will duplicate the factory job without actually removeing everything.  Also, the plate behind the brake booster/master cylinder is a semi gloss to gloss black finish.  Either tape it off or remove it to repaint under it and then you can respray the plate.  The brake lines in the engine bay can be removed from the clips without disconnecting and pulled out of the way to get paint behind them.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006 - 03:54:50 PM »
Scott & RTSE... Thanks for the responses.

The car is a roller right now.. I have the full suspension on but no motor or tranny and no trim or interior either. I was thinking the best way to get in all the nooks and to put it up on casters or something and take out the suspension... strip the underside and weldin the subframe connectors and the prime and paint the underside, engine bay and door jambs all at once. Then put the rebuilt suspension back underneath the car...and make it a roller again. I dont have a rotisserie either. :(

Scott... what's this?.. Quote :"strip of seam sealer that goes between the upper fenders and the upper inner fenders"

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006 - 04:58:55 PM »
What is the correct way to "black out the radiator support"? Do you also "black out" the headlight buckets?
Are the bumper brackets black or body color?

Thanks for the many questions.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006 - 07:00:50 PM »
The radiator support and buckets are body color.  The bumper brackets are black.  Have you gone through the Member's Restoration Projects section? 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006 - 07:29:43 PM »
6pack, I have gone thru it but no for a while.. I guess I should try again. :violin: HA!
I have read that the rad support was blacked out and seen different people do different things..

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006 - 08:42:43 PM »
The factory used a strip of putty like seam sealer between many body panels when assembling them, it helped reduce sqeeks and water leaks. Typical places are between the upper fender flannges and the inner fender panels and the hood hinge to inner fender area. The blacked out areas were typically on most E-body cars, especially those painted a lighter color. Some dark colored cars did not recieve the blacked out areas.

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006 - 09:09:34 PM »
Here are some pics of my Cuda, it's and LA car built Feb 12, 1970, other cars from other plants may vary. It's wearing original paint and not in the best shape but you'll get LOTS of clues from these pics if you pay attention. The blackout cowl paint is fuzzy on the edges, it was not a sharp line from being masked as you might imagine. The radiator core support appears to have been sprayed from underneath the car, it fogged and faded as it reached the top and coverage was poor and undefined at best but better coverage along the bottom of the core support indicates the direction it was sprayed from.

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006 - 10:20:31 PM »
You might want to check out Alaskan T/A's Website. It has a bunch of old Chrysler tech pages which has been very helpful to me with these type of questions.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/engineeringDrawings/ei003.jpg
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006 - 10:37:49 PM »
I found those the other day.... I should have checked them. :2thumbs:

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006 - 11:56:03 PM »
Here are some pics of my Cuda....

Do you have any pics showing the engine side of the radiator support (top and bottom) and of the seam sealer that was mentioned between the inner & outer fenders?
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006 - 11:05:05 PM »
OK... so I think I may be a little slow...

so if I paint the inside of the doors and underside of the panels off the car do I paint the door jamb and hinges also separately and then hang the doors? It seems odd to me to paint the door with the hinge attached...

I understand that the paint could crack - I guess I just dont understand.