426 hemi crate motor

Author Topic: 426 hemi crate motor  (Read 5848 times)

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
426 hemi crate motor
« on: September 21, 2006 - 10:05:08 AM »
 Got the call, my name was finally called for a 426 crate!!!.  Shipped out yesterday, should have it next week. :droolingbounce:

My 71 cuda, is supposed to be out of bodyshop w/in a month.

Looking for any input, advice, or tricks of the trade for the switch of my 340 auto to the Hemi 4 spd. :cooldancing:

I Know the K member needs to be addressed,  Any thoughts on whether to go w/ new K member or us shumaker engine mounts?

Also I've heard it's a good idea to have the engine "gone through"  B4 installing.  Any thoughts on this and to what extent? 

feel free to post any thought that may help.

Thanks
Cudaaah

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
Re: 426 hemi crate motor
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006 - 10:14:57 AM »
PM sent  :2thumbs:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006 - 10:40:23 AM »
Take it from the crate, straight to a qualified shop. Have them tear it down to the bare block, and start measuring. If it all checks out, reassemble carefully, and you're good to go. 90% of the failures I know of are directly the result of poor assembly.

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006 - 10:59:20 AM »
I bought the Schumacher mounts and used stock exhaust manifolds (did not want to shell out $ for TTI's) plus I was told they (stock exhaust) flows pretty well. Schumachers worked well, got engine in by myself (no help). I went with an aftermarket dipstick too. billet. Just did not like the way my 440 tube needed to be retrofitted (no hemi tubes from MP, unless you have a stock piece-this is what I was told from my MP guy)What type of accesories are you putting on the car? PS, PB etc. I just put up some photos on clearance with Brake booster and valve cover. As one poster mentioned, it is too close. AFtermarket gauges (will need proper fittings and clearenace) Just things to consider. I did not in a few instances and the gang here set me straight. this is a great resource, use it. Good luck and take a lot of pictures!
Smitty

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006 - 11:15:48 AM »
the schumaker mounts are great
derfinatly have the engine checked out

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006 - 11:39:44 AM »
I do have PS and PB.  Are you saying I'll have a problem w/ the brake booster and the valve covers?

I'll probably go TTI; too late for me to be worried about costs! :faint:

I'm also considering dual quads w/ my shaker. 

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006 - 01:48:41 PM »
The power brake booster on a Hemi car is a smaller diameter than on the cars.  This is to clear the heads.  I believe they are 8" in diameter.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006 - 04:52:13 PM »
I know mine was assembled by Cummins according to the Mopar Performance stiker.If that means anything?  :dunno: Do have a small oil leak where the timing chain cover meets the oil pan   :banghead:  Mines also manual brakes-not much room there at all! Best of luck!  :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006 - 03:16:41 PM by 4Cruizn »
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006 - 05:47:44 AM »
Anything assembled by Cummins is suspect. Which means just about all of them now available. If it's only a leaker, you've done quite well..

Offline ArcticCuda

• Pepe
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006 - 06:23:15 AM »
Got the call, my name was finally called for a 426 crate!!!.  Shipped out yesterday, should have it next week. :droolingbounce:

Thanks
Cudaaah

Hi, how long time it takes nowadays to get a Crate Hemi? If ordering NOW when I'll receive it?
Current Vehicles:
Plymouth PPR Cuda 1970 489 cid
Plymouth GTX 1970 RS23V0E

Sorry my bad english...I'm just an european...

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006 - 07:46:46 AM »
I put my name on a list @ westoaks dodge, in CA., last March.  I had recently called around and was told 3-6 months, no guarentee.

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006 - 10:01:07 AM »
 :pullinghair: Are all you guys telling when you buy a crate motor you have to tear it down and check everything,WTF after you fork out all that dough for a crate motor,mopar doesn't billed em better than that????  :villagers: my ultimate goal also after i get my 71 chally on the road is a HEMI also,man better figure in the machine shop in the price also.  :stomp: lucky for me i have a friend who's a machinists so it won't be that much.used to race his own cars a while back so he knows a thing or two about mopars.used to race a 70 challenger. anyway good luck on your install and your HEMI.  :burnout: ---DAVE---
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006 - 11:08:30 AM »
yes , for the price of a gasket kit it is definatly worth tearing down the crate Hemis to check it
the crate  I saw was terrible , it was a 360 , but I found 5 problems before installing & still had problems after installing it with the problems corrected

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006 - 11:24:50 AM »
moper.. cant say more than the oil leak cause I haven't put more than 200 miles on it yet. And seeing it was an auction car..... who knows whats been done??   :dunno:

Chryco.. sorry bout the 3 pics in a row thing...  :screwy:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006 - 02:51:17 PM »
:pullinghair: Are all you guys telling when you buy a crate motor you have to tear it down and check everything,WTF after you fork out all that dough for a crate motor,mopar doesn't billed em better than that???? 

Well, yes, that's what I'm saying...lol. I have yet to have any first hand (meaning personnal friends, I havent bought one) that had much good to say about theirs. Every single one has had issues. Some not only the first ones, but the "warranteed" replacements for them. It is the cheapest way to get all new parts for a hemi project. But I would ever install one without tearing it down to bare block, to start looking at cam bearing installation. Oiling problems, loose rods, main bolts finger tight, intake gaskets inhaling oil, cams in way off, external leaks, you name it. The reason Cummins got the contract to assemble is the first place was sending too much MP product back defective. From blocks to everything else. They were measuring stuff. Cummins skips that part I think. So all the marginal stuff gets stuck in them, and off it goes.