Author Topic: Clones- Love em' or Hate em'?  (Read 9437 times)

Offline mcgheejt

Clones- Love em' or Hate em'?
« on: September 22, 2006 - 06:22:50 PM »
During my research while looking for a Challenger, I found a lot of clones out there. I guess I don't mind seeing a quality resto clone of a car that was produced at one time.  The last remaining original is probably only rarely seen at a big show, in a museum, or in private collection.  But what about clones of cars which were never produced: such as 71 Challenger T/As or 71 challenger convertible R/Ts?  Are these cars to be admired replicas of cars that Chrysler should have built or discounted as wanna-bees?

Your thoughts?       

Offline DAYTONA

Re: Clones- Love em' or Hate em'?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006 - 06:33:00 PM »
...I appreciate any nice MOPAR, clone or not....although I really prefer the real thing by a long shot over a clone....

...clones, I would rather see a "Phantom Clone" than a clone of a car that really existed....

...not clones

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006 - 06:50:05 PM »
I think a nice car is a nice car. As long as when selling the car you don't try to pawn it as an all original car. I am from the school of it's your car make it the way you want. I know if you buy a car as an investment you would try to get it all original as possible and not a clone. I think those types are for the people that are fairly well off because you sure don't want to drive a 100,000 plus car on the streets very often and risk some old lady plowing into the rear of your car.  I know someone that bought a 80,000 convertable 71 Cuda and drives it on the weekends. I would be very nervous about it but what's the point of buying something that you don't drive? If a clone is what you can afford and it makes you happy why not? Then you get the best of both worlds its looks awesome and you can enjoy driving it more.

1974 Barracuda

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006 - 07:08:58 PM »
I like the idea as long as when the car is put up for sale the owner doesn't try and pass it off as a "real" orignal.
P.S. I love my 72 Challenger T/A clone.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline willhaven

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006 - 07:11:53 PM »
Clones make it possible for the non-rich to drive highly optioned muscle cars. The base model cars aren't that collectible. I don't see any down side to the idea of clones. Except for too many General Lees maybe. :)

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006 - 07:19:51 PM »
My plain jane challenger is being made into a 1973 R/T, it will have all of the R/T badging but it will still have the grill and taillights of a 73.
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline Fast Finch

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006 - 07:23:03 PM »
I think a nice car is a nice car. As long as when selling the car you don't try to pawn it as an all original car. I am from the school of it's your car make it the way you want. I know if you buy a car as an investment you would try to get it all original as possible and not a clone. I think those types are for the people that are fairly well off because you sure don't want to drive a 100,000 plus car on the streets very often and risk some old lady plowing into the rear of your car.  I know someone that bought a 80,000 convertable 71 Cuda and drives it on the weekends. I would be very nervous about it but what's the point of buying something that you don't drive? If a clone is what you can afford and it makes you happy why not? Then you get the best of both worlds its looks awesome and you can enjoy driving it more.

:iagree:
Love all Mopars especially B and E bodies.  Currently own a '69 Charger touting over 550hp reverse valve train manual shift with a 3:55 posi rear end, Y2 yellow and, YES it is my Daily Driver.
One day an E body will be setting next to her.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006 - 07:26:21 PM »
not "CLONES" .... :grinno:.....Restomod Tribute Vehicle..... :grinyes:.....I'm COOL with em
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006 - 09:27:02 PM »
No such thing as a true clone . . . restomod sounds pretty good!   :grinyes:

Offline BARACDA

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006 - 10:25:02 PM »
I enjoy making a clone or a one-of-none car.  My Challenger is badged as a 340 R/T SE which in 70 they didnt make.  Whats funny to me is that even at Mopar shows (this cars been to Vegas at MATS before) most people there dont even know the difference,  or maybe they dont care if what they see is clean and well done. 

jim

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006 - 12:36:24 AM »
No such thing as a true clone . . . restomod sounds pretty good!   :grinyes:

I prefer RestoMod too...  :bigsmile:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006 - 04:28:51 AM »

Yip, Clones are few and far between. When I think Clone, I think of factory correct items with the correct drivetrain for that year and possibly with date code correct engine and trans. I prefer restofied cars over factory original. I just don't see the point of having a car that others will judge and like possibly more than the owner itself. Why would you want all the factory bugs? I like stock looking with hidden and sometimes visible modern upgrades, removing the factory bugs makes for a better finish and an overall nice car. I'm easy though, Mopar or Nocar.

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006 - 05:03:14 AM »
I`m not a huge fan of clones and prefer a real performance model or a modified car but I agree with "it`s your car so biuld it how you like".My `72 Barracuda has some `cuda parts-hood,dash etc. but I installed 340 FOUR BARRELL emblems on the hood and no `cuda emblems just to confuse people (although being orange it gets called the General Lee anyway).  :naughty: There are plenty of original ones out there and clones have risen in price so they aren`t that much cheaper than a real one except for the super rare vert, 440-6 and Hemi models.I do like the one of none cars as they are different,the `71 Superbird and Daytona are awesome!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006 - 05:12:09 AM by torredcuda »
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006 - 06:54:00 AM »
I don't see any down side to the idea of clones. Except for too many General Lees maybe. :)

:roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006 - 08:43:12 AM »
If you have an Original and a Clone side by side that are identical, then to like the Original more would only seem to be based on resale value.  I would not feel as comfortable abusing an Original (obviously I'm not rich) and abusing my Mopar is one of the things I live for.
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other