Clones- Love em' or Hate em'?

Author Topic: Clones- Love em' or Hate em'?  (Read 9439 times)

Offline hemi71

• Resident
Re: Clones- Love em' or Hate em'?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006 - 09:09:42 AM »
A nicely restored car is a nice car, no matter what it started out as.

Who cares if it's a clone, resto mod, tribute, etc....

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006 - 01:31:57 PM »
I agree, buy it build it drive it whatever just make it Mopar.

Enjoy it - if you want to sell it later, maybe someone else will like what you did :working:

540 Hemi 70 Challenger Convertible: 1 of 1 - Extremely Rare - Value - In the eyes of the Beholder
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006 - 01:36:33 PM »
I can't believe anyone here has a modified car!!  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Mike(exibit #1)   :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006 - 02:07:36 PM »
 :roflsmiley:  Why, the nerve of some people, take a perfectly nice 318 Barracuda or Challenger and make it better, what a shame.  :grinyes:

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006 - 04:10:06 PM »
Purebread stock original cars have their place...out of the reach of most of us. Alot of drivetrains were changed out since their existance including HEMI and six pack cars. A clone is an exact duplicate of an original. Most out there are Resto-Mods. I feel if they are clean and the owner is satisfied with what they have then so be it. I also agree that pawning a non matching# car off as an original is wrong. In short I injoy seeing a devoted intrest in all these Mopars no matter how they started out from MA Mopar. :2thumbs:
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006 - 08:45:51 AM »
A nicely restored car is a nice car, no matter what it started out as.

Who cares if it's a clone, resto mod, tribute, etc....

:iagree:

- Jørgen - Norwegian Mopar fanatic

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 383 A833 8-3/4 3.23 suregrip
http://cuda.widing.biz/

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006 - 02:40:13 PM »
I think a nice car is a nice car. As long as when selling the car you don't try to pawn it as an all original car. I am from the school of it's your car make it the way you want. I know if you buy a car as an investment you would try to get it all original as possible and not a clone. I think those types are for the people that are fairly well off because you sure don't want to drive a 100,000 plus car on the streets very often and risk some old lady plowing into the rear of your car.  I know someone that bought a 80,000 convertable 71 Cuda and drives it on the weekends. I would be very nervous about it but what's the point of buying something that you don't drive? If a clone is what you can afford and it makes you happy why not? Then you get the best of both worlds its looks awesome and you can enjoy driving it more.

:iagree:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006 - 09:24:38 PM »
I think clones allow everyone to participate in the hobby and are a great thing to keep the interest alive, and provide much needed resto parts. Now my idea of a clone though is a copy of an original, so no 71 T/A or R/T convertibles for eg. as these were never produced. I would call them a restification, creation, or something else.

I am however glad to be #'s matching correct.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006 - 08:57:06 AM »
If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and swims like a duck, then check the fender tag. I have changed every car that I have ever owned, kept nothing original. First order of business are new shoes/mud flaps (old days). Then upgrade stereo system, engine, etc. We have to add our own flair to the car, to make it ours. If I wanted a beefier engine then so be it, change from a 318 to 440, change badges - Cloned.       

Offline oldvamoparfan

• MOPAR; The only way to go!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006 - 05:31:40 PM »
Hello Folks,  I think it is great to have a #s matching RT w/ Hemi etc if you can (1st) find one & (2nd) can afford it.  As one of our friends has already pointed out, not every one can do this.  I wouldnt mind if my Challenger was all original, but it sure is a lot more fun to drive w/ a crate 360 & 3.23 gears than it would be w/ stock 318 2bl & 2.71s.  Also, the aluminum 15" wheels, Trans Am deck spoiler & front air dams sorta help w/ the fun part.  The disc brakes, dual exhaust, modern radio, & new bumpers all contribute to a more pleasant driving experience too.  I also replaced the shocks w/ new Monroe gas ones, repl all the front suspension bushings, front pads, calipers, hoses, etc.  I havent gotten around to painting it yet, but it still looks good enough to draw attention around here, including the standard question; "Is it a Hemi??"  I dont know which crate motor it is, but it does have a Chrysler tag on the left Cyl head, & the idle is pretty lumpy.  'Nough said.  I just hope all of you enjoy your Mopars, Orig or not, as much as I do mine.  Happy Moparring folks!!!!  OVMF
'72 Challenger 360,  '05 Dakota,   04 Town & Country,   '82 Yamaha 650 Maxim

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006 - 06:06:18 PM »
I like clones, Way back  in 73, when I bought my first Cuda, I made an AAR clone out of it, because they were expensive and rare, even back then. What I do think is rediculous, however, is the prices some people are asking for them. I don't understsand how they can think that a 318 car, with a 440+6 or hemi  stuffed into it, is somehow worth almost as much as an original. It's like saying 2 + 2 = 7. It's still just a 318 car, with a non-orignal engine.

daves70

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006 - 06:18:17 PM »
Clones are the poor mans way to enjoy a part of history gone by. They are still challeys or cuda's and a part of american history.  :grinyes:

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006 - 06:23:48 PM »
Clones are the poor mans way to enjoy a part of history gone by. They are still challeys or cuda's and a part of american history.  :grinyes:

I wouldn't consider myself "poor" but I guess maybe in 20 years I could justify spending 50K on a toy.  Whatever makes someone happy I say.  Even some of the restored cars aren't correct with perfect paint jobs and such, would that be a clone?

Tom :dunno:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline BARACDA

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006 - 08:38:42 PM »
I can easily see how a /6 $15,000 70 Challenger with new paint, interior etc that has a nicely built hemi with good parts and trans, rear, etc can be "worth" $20,000 or more.  Just pricing a hemi, carbs, air cleaner, fuel delivery, cooling, trans, rear end, shifter, linkages etc etc the price tag can easily go over the $20,000 mark if done with mostly new or newly rebuilt parts.

jim

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006 - 09:06:52 PM »
Everyone's got a valid point.   
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl