Author Topic: Clones- Love em' or Hate em'?  (Read 9434 times)

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
Re: Clones- Love em' or Hate em'?
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2006 - 10:20:58 PM »
I think clones allow everyone to participate in the hobby and are a great thing to keep the interest alive, and provide much needed resto parts. Now my idea of a clone though is a copy of an original, so no 71 T/A or R/T convertibles for eg. as these were never produced. I would call them a restification, creation, or something else.

I am however glad to be #'s matching correct.

Well said!! :iagree:
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2006 - 10:21:27 PM »

With all the "free" registries out there like the TA Register ( :ylsuper: to Barry) and the LA Registry ( http://www.lamopar.com/ ) , the E-Body Club ( http://www.webspawner.com/users/ebodymoparclub/ ) the Hamtramchk Historical Registry ( http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ ) and several others it would be nice if there was some public information being put out about which rare VINS have been identified as being still on the road or whatever.  I dont know what the solution is exactly but with this info being gathered it would be nice to have access to it as a buyer to keep from being the victim of fraud.

jim

Thanks for the comments, I try to do what I can. As far as listig VINs of cars that are still on the road though, that is not going to happen. Most owners do not want their information posted in public due to privacy concerns. But, what I can and have done is list cars that are parted out, VIN tags for sale with titles and so one. These VINs are mixed in with the VINs for "found" items on the website for everyone to see. I have to have either proof or an owner admission before I post these numbers. Here are some examples;

BS23N0B110581  Crushed around 1990

JS23U0B158341  Totaled in 1977

RM23N0A204755  Car parted out, VIN tag for sale on Ebay April 2006

XX29L9B355107  Burned and gone

These cars are all listed with the notes in blue on the website so the cars that are "gone" are easy to spot.  :wave:

T/Ake care,
Barry

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2006 - 11:20:56 PM »
My plan is a black ta clone with my 70.  One reason I wanted to go with a 70 was for this reason.  I didn't want to get into converting a later car.  So paid a little more and got something needing more work, but in the end it will be worth it.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline BARACDA

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2006 - 11:45:30 PM »
Hey Barry!  Glad you do all the work you do, I cant even imagine the headaches you get from all the time and effort you go through to do the registries.  As far as the info from the cars  you have I dont mean the specific VINs being released but some composite info like how many BP27LOB cars you have found and in what breakdown of colors etc.  If things keep going the way they are with all the cloning its almost gonna become mandatory to have people like you look over some of the more rare combination cars to make sure your not buying a VIN that has been resurrected from cargonetohell   :villagers: .  Makes you wonder where all the matching motors have gone from these clone cars sometimes....  :clueless:

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2006 - 06:17:29 AM »
We all have our passion in this hobby and the purists and non purists alike have a great passion for it, just not the same when it comes to what you like to see done with a car. I respect anyones opinion who is in this hobby regardless of what they think of how these cars should or shouldn't be built. Personally I don't care if somone wants to build a hemi car out of a 318 car, if he does, it's a hemi Cuda in my opinion. Is it correct, no, but it is a hemi cuda in the owners mind and I couldn't care less if the number on the dash matches his engine. If a guy inserts a Hemi instead of a 440, that's great, who cares if it was an original 440 4 spd whatever car to begin with, it's still what it was to begin with and could go back if someone wants it to be correct for the tag. First words out of my mouth when I go to a show or see a nice car on the street is how nice it is, not "hey, nice car, is it real?" LOL, yup it's real or you wouldn't be standing there looking at it. I do have a question on re bodys. Where do you draw the line if it's a re body or not? Does it need to keep the original pillar posts, door jam or transmission hump? A guy can replace the entire body piece by piece, then is it a rebody? Where do you draw the line calling it original? It's not original if you cut one piece of metal off of it. It's correctly restored maybe but not original. So, many of the cars out there are not 100% original otherwise they'd all be 100% survivors.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2006 - 11:55:56 AM »
Whats a rebody is like whats a street car anymore... I say at least retain 50% of the original car or else its more of something else.  People just don't get that just because you cut off parts and put them around a roof and firewall for example, its no different than taking the roof and firewall and welding them into another body... but its :horse:  Numbers, money, etc... I'm into these cars because I love mopars, never about numbers and $
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2006 - 03:50:37 PM »

Either or, same shapes, same engines, same transmissions, same colours, same interior......
It's just one has little stamped numbers on it, whop-dee!!

:2thumbs:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2006 - 04:36:40 PM »

Either or, same shapes, same engines, same transmissions, same colours, same interior......
It's just one has little stamped numbers on it, whop-dee!!

:2thumbs:

LMAO!  :roflsmiley: That is funny but it is very important to some. I would love having a sweet 100 percenter but probably won't ever happen with me. Yours is pretty close isn't it? If I remember you restored and modified it a little. Hey, if you ever want that numbers car again, it's still there, just needs to be tweaked a bit.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2006 - 05:29:22 PM »
Just numbers that mean big $$$$!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline cudacharlie

• 70 Cuda convert, 70 Charger R/T
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2006 - 07:08:03 PM »
Love clones!  Drive one myself.... but I don't know about things like 71 T/A ragtops and such...  not a huge fan of 'made-up' cars...  although the Dayclona 71 wing cars are waaaayyyy coooooollll... IMHO.
70 Cuda convert
70 Charger R/T
06 Magnum SRT8

sleepychallenger

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2006 - 07:17:51 PM »
i like clones, or are they called recreations now? anywho, they give everyone the chance to not only have the car that they dreamed of but also to make it into their dream as well.  the only problem, as stated before, is when folks are out there to make a buck and they try to pawn off a 74 challenger 225 car as a Matching numbers 70 Challenger RT/SE with a hemi. that really burns my biscuts. just my opinion though

Offline bluecuda360

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2006 - 07:37:17 PM »
This is just my opinion.I'm all for making a 318 or 6cyl. into a 340,383,440 or whatever.I'm just not into seeing hockey stripes and spoilers on 72,73,74 Cudas.IMO, the correct year stripes look better on those cars.For instance I think the 72 Cuda stripe is unique,and you just dont see it very often.Sorry if I offended anyone,and I also believe in" to each his own." :2cents:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2006 - 09:06:36 PM »
LMAO!  :roflsmiley: That is funny but it is very important to some. I would love having a sweet 100 percenter but probably won't ever happen with me. Yours is pretty close isn't it? If I remember you restored and modified it a little. Hey, if you ever want that numbers car again, it's still there, just needs to be tweaked a bit.

Yeah, it does mean a bit to some guys I guess, I can see why. It is cool and yes Lucy is full numbers matching.
I just made her the way I wanted, not what people at shows or online want to see.  :cheers:

The 'Cuda on the other hand is a mongrel and I love it.....Lucy is class and my 'Cuda will be the bad boy.  :lol:

Lucy =  :angelwings: 'Cuda =  :smokin:

Offline BARACDA

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2006 - 10:39:12 PM »
Love clones!  Drive one myself.... but I don't know about things like 71 T/A ragtops and such...  not a huge fan of 'made-up' cars...  although the Dayclona 71 wing cars are waaaayyyy coooooollll... IMHO.

Uh Oh!  I am in trouble then, my 70 Challenger is definately a "made up" car.  Its originally a 318 SE that is now a 340 SE/RT wannabe.  I just wanted a small block RT style car and so I built one.  Its the right colors etc but very few even know its not a factory type offering with the 340 and RT setup.  The motor has alum heads/intake etc so it obviously isnt a clone effort though.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2006 - 10:59:47 PM »
Uh Oh!  I am in trouble then, my 70 Challenger is definately a "made up" car.

No, he means "made up" cars. Cars built that were never created by Chrysler.
Examples: 1973 Convertible, 1972 Challenger T/A, 1974 392ci Hemi Cuda etc......  :thumbsup:

The word "clone" leaves a lot to be desired. There are people who claim to own clones but they're not.
IMO, clones are exact replicas of standard Chrysler corporation vehicles.

:cheers: