Author Topic: Spark plugs  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Spark plugs
« on: September 24, 2006 - 03:02:52 PM »
I use to feel like I knew cars and engines pretty well until a co-worker talked to me this past week.  He has a turbocharged honda, which he likes to experiment with and he asked me:

"What does it mean to go to a colder or hotter spark plug?"

Well, I was stumped because I have always gone with the recommended brand or type and never had a problem.
Can someone describe to me in detail the difference in hotter or colder spark plugs along with how to tell the difference when at the store.
Thanks
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline duodec

Re: Spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006 - 03:55:32 PM »
Colder plugs transfer heat away from the center insulator/electrode faster than hotter plugs, and as a result tend to be cooler in operation.  Hotter plugs have less material connecting the center insulator/electrode to the shell (usually a deeper or wider air gap on the business end, though possibly different formulations of insulator) so heat transfer to the surrounding head material is reduced.

Thats why the old old advice to run hotter plugs in a car that has started to burn oil exists; the hotter plug would tend to burn off the oil better than a cooler one, so not foul as quickly.  Sometimes going with a cooler plug, especially in higher compression scenarios, can reduce the tendency towards detonation or allow use of a couple more degrees of advance without detonation.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006 - 04:39:48 PM »
heard that too hot a plug can "burn pistons" ?
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline duodec

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006 - 04:45:45 PM »
heard that too hot a plug can "burn pistons" ?

Detonation can blow a hole in a piston, or break ring lands, or cause other damage.  Not sure if there's another avenue for damage from a hotter plug.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006 - 12:14:49 AM »
Colder plugs transfer heat away from the center insulator/electrode faster than hotter plugs, and as a result tend to be cooler in operation.  Hotter plugs have less material connecting the center insulator/electrode to the shell (usually a deeper or wider air gap on the business end, though possibly different formulations of insulator) so heat transfer to the surrounding head material is reduced.

Thats why the old old advice to run hotter plugs in a car that has started to burn oil exists; the hotter plug would tend to burn off the oil better than a cooler one, so not foul as quickly.  Sometimes going with a cooler plug, especially in higher compression scenarios, can reduce the tendency towards detonation or allow use of a couple more degrees of advance without detonation.

Thanks duodec.
But is there a common way to tell which are colder and which are hotter by just looking at the numbers or something on the packaging?
Thanks.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006 - 06:59:25 AM »
found this
http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp
 look at bottom left "Manufacturer's Numbering System"

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006 - 12:34:04 PM »
simple rule of thumb is the higher the number the hotter the plug...n-9y is cooler than a n-12y.
another thing about hotter/cooler plugs I read says that the hotter plug produced a higher Kv spark and traveled faster from electrode to ground and a colder plug traveled slower which in a race motor is the equivilent to a long duration flame front on todays engines (longer spark life time) but when you are talking nano seconds ....who knows

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006 - 01:06:38 PM »
Thanks for the info.  That is just what I was looking for.   :2thumbs: 
Now I feel a little more educated. 

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006 - 08:17:40 AM »

Offline matt63

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006 - 01:29:50 PM »
You can't compare the heat numbers from one spark plug mfg to another.  Also, I believe that American plugs have lower numbers for colder plugs and European plugs go the other way.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline matt63

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006 - 01:30:21 PM »
You can't compare the heat numbers from one spark plug mfg to another.  Also, I believe that American plugs have lower numbers for colder plugs and European plugs go the other way.
I mean Japanese not European.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006 - 08:24:49 AM »
[/quote
I think the temp #'s are relative to the plug manufacturer. Granted one company may go up while the other goes down as far as heat/#'s. However colder is colder and hotter is hotter. That still remains the same regardless of what contry your in. So if you want a specific temp plug you just go accordingly to the manufacturer. What i mean is, if you want a colder plug in NGK you may have to go up in numbers while a colder plug for Autolite you may have to go down. I dont think the #'s is what is important. Its the temp and that's gonna be the same for any manufacturer.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006 - 08:25:08 AM »
No problem jacksboys.