Author Topic: Rear brakes locking up WHY???  (Read 6437 times)

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
Re: Rear brakes locking up WHY???
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006 - 10:21:35 AM »
locking brakes is generally caused by oil on the shoes / pads

Same thing I said a few posts back!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006 - 04:52:17 PM »
  Yes your right it is what you said.  I just missed it.  but with all of you guy's thoughts it sure did help.  thanks
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2006 - 09:56:34 PM »
  I drove it around town this weekend.  Everything works now.  thanks again. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2006 - 10:04:02 AM »
Glad it's working good for you now, these cars can be frustrating sometimes!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2006 - 04:04:37 PM »
Glad it's working good for you now, these cars can be frustrating sometimes!

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2007 - 05:10:33 PM »
What was the final cure???
1974 Barracuda

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2007 - 05:22:40 PM »
Does it do it in reverse too? The big shoe goes on the front and the little on the back. You may also have them too tight along with a possible bad front hoses that will not let the fluid flow. And do the discs float good on the slides. If they cant slide they will not grab as fast as the rears.

Ever notice with the emergency brakes on, a car will hold going forward but will go in reverse and roll?

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2007 - 05:40:01 PM »
  It would only do it in forward.  with or without the ebrake.  Grease on the drum pads.  I had to replace the wheelbearings and seals. One pad was in the wrong place.  Lots of crap.  It is all fixed now.  I have been driving the car to work for the last month.  Gonna have to sale her soon as I want to rally my money for a 71.   

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2007 - 03:13:03 AM »
""The big shoe goes on the front and the little on the back.""

NO, Larger lining shoe goes on the rear, smaller lining shoe goes to front, it energises the larger shoe creating more pressure. I have struck Siezed wheel cylinders, twisted shoes especially when they have been out of adjustment too far and the drum always becomes oval and tapered, that is why drums should be skimmed with every shoe change. I always check ebrake cables for free movement when replacing shoes, I don't lube them though because that atracts the brake dust, that is why most new cables don't have grease points any more. I owned a brake shop for many years.
Dave

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2007 - 06:51:34 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up.  Sounds like you know alot about brakes.  I am only a hobbiest and I was having a hard time with this.  Once I actually got my mechanic to come up to the mountains and look at my car he pointed out every problem in about as long as it took to read your paragraph.  All these guys here on this site make it much easier for hobbiest like me who havn't had years of working on the cars much easier.  I truely appreciate any and all advice that is given, even if it is somewhat misdirected.  That is better than my old neighbors will do.  Hell all they want to do is crush all my old cars. 
  I have noticed new cables not having grease points.  Can't say I have ever warped a drum or pad.  Good idea to skim the drums every time. 

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2007 - 06:43:07 AM »
Hey Cudahunter,thanks for the thread.I've had this problem ever since I lost a rear brake line. Talk about going right to the source... I read this and had to look into it...sure enough,contaminated pads. This has saved alot of time and money. Thanks to all  :cheers:      For a beginner to be able to diagnose such problems is difficult,(I know) I'm one. But this site really gives me alot of confidence to tackle jobs I would never be able to do otherwise. And complete them properly. If you ever need a hand let me know I'm not that far away.  Thanks again,Robert. :burnout:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2007 - 08:06:24 AM »

:cheers:  :drunk: HERE HERE   :drunk: :cheers: