Author Topic: a hemi in a camper and a tow truck???  (Read 6712 times)

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
Re: a hemi in a camper and a tow truck???
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006 - 09:26:45 AM »
IF it is a hemi I figure it is a 392 also but these were both late 60's early 70's trucks and supposedly they were factory...but we have all heard these stories befor...will probably end up being a 2.2 in a Renault Alpine Camper ....LOL  If it is a 354 I might still use it (the new hemi is based on that design just updated )

film at 11:00 o'clock
The 392 hemis were NEVER put in anything but 57 & 58 Chrysler and Imperial cars. Some Dodge trucks up to 59 had 354 hemis, but that is the biggest early hemi ever put in a truck by the factory. There were also a lot of 331 & 354 industrial hemis, but never a 392 industrial. The 354 is a great engine, and according to a lot of the old fuel drag racers the bottom end is stronger than the 392 because of better main webs in the block. As for the 426 hemis, I've never heard of them being installed in anything but passenger cars from the factory.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006 - 09:39:56 AM by 392heminut »
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006 - 09:33:53 AM »
Most likely a 392. A fellow near my home in Salmon Arm BC has a 2 ton 58 or 59 (can't remember) for sale and it has a 2BBL 392 hemi in it from the factory. Yes you read correct - a 2BBL carb. But he says mountains of torque and unbelievable gas mileage for what it is.
As I stated above, the 392 hemis were never put in trucks. They also never came with a 2 bbl carb, only with a single 4 bbl or the rarer dual 4 bbl setup. That's not to say that someone didn't swap one in at a later date and put a 354 2 bbl manifold on it. I suspect what your neighbor has is a 354. They look almost the same and are hard to tell apart if you don't know what to look for. Most people see an early hemi and just call it a 392 as that was the biggest size that was made. Between Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler there were hemis made from 241 c.i. to 392 c.i.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006 - 09:35:42 AM by 392heminut »
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006 - 09:46:06 AM »
If it is a 354 I might still use it (the new hemi is based on that design just updated )

film at 11:00 o'clock
The new hemi has nothing in common with the early hemi other than the valve layout. If you can get the engine for $50 grab it and run. Any early hemi is worth a lot more than that, even parted out and sold on eBay!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006 - 02:07:14 PM »
Well just as I figured ...I need a hunting license for a nother wild goose chase ! After walking for a mile thru this over grown junkyard and stirring up every hornet nest out there we finally arrive at this special car...(as we walk he tells me the motor has less than 6000 miles on it) with my hopes up I go peer under the hood to find..... a 318. Talk about pissed ! Now I dont feel so bad about him getting the crap stung out of him looking at a nother mopar (and another 318)
this makes about the 6th or 7th 440 I have looked at that was a 318 and a few that were fords and chebbies

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006 - 02:15:02 PM »
Dang it!  Sorry to hear that Outlaw!  I didn't think there was a grown man alive that couldn't tell the difference between a 318 and a hemi!  :smilielol: :smilielol:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006 - 03:53:38 PM »
Sorry about that OUTLAW,

But it is always worth the chase, because you never know.  :grinno: So this 318 had spark plug wires going thru the middle of the valve covers?  :lol:  :lol2:  :rofl:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006 - 06:39:52 PM »
OUTLAW, my only advice for you for going on future wild goose chases is to carry some pictures of the all types of engines. Sorta like mug shots in a line up. "OK CHARLEY" "Which one is the culprit." Then after, show them the pics of the bee stings on you from the last time someone said it was a Hemi.  :eek4:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006 - 01:04:22 AM »
Sorry about that OUTLAW,

But it is always worth the chase, because you never know. 

:iagree:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006 - 01:23:55 AM »
I know and I will alway go no matter how skeptical I am, but it sure would be nice to have one or two of these chases produce something worth while. Around here if they say they think its a mopar you have to go see as mopars are scarce 20 years ago and even more so now

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006 - 03:54:49 PM »
Sorry it didn't pan out, it would have been cool to have someone else on the board with an early hemi! Keep checking the leads though, you never know when one will turn up!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006 - 05:19:20 PM »
Wild goose chases are not always bad. My brother responded to an ad near his house for an AMX Javilin and when the widowed older woman opened the garage door. He saw from behind what he thought was just a Satellite turned out to be a 67 HEMI GTX after he popped the hood. And for only $1500 a year ago. And no I didn't forget any zeros. :money: :money: :money:
Found a 71 340 B5 blue Cuda in the back of a farmers machine shed 8 years ago for $1300. Rust free and one small dent in the DR Qtr from machinery being backed into it. And my buddy was worried his wife would kill him for spending that much money. I assured him if he didn't take it I would buy it that day.  :smilielol:
Rare finds are still out there. I even call on Camaro ads in the local paper because some people think Cudas and Challengers look like Camaros. Unfortunately. Ignorance is great!
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

sleepychallenger

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006 - 06:25:48 PM »
 :stomp: :swear: :screwy: my car gets called a Camaro all the time.....grrrrr :stomp:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006 - 02:45:38 PM »
What regions are most of these rare cars being found (north, south, etc.)? 
I found mine at a car dealership in Georgia about 11 years ago, but I have yet to come accross anything valuable since then.  I always keep an eye open, but I am just not having the luck like some of you. 
What are your secrets to finding these?
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006 - 03:25:25 PM »
Everyone out there has stories to tell from the day and what did what. Many are exaggerated but I still listen and follow alot of wild goose chase leads. Every once in a while you find the car from the story told. Hanging out with musclecar enthusiests, even Chivie guys, pays off. I currently am after a 70 GTX still in the original owners hands. Only has had the original battery changed and has a whopping 20000 on the odometer. At this point I consider it to be a story. All this from some chevy guy at a car show that couldn't tell you what a Cuda is or what one looks like. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006 - 03:52:31 PM »
Many are exaggerated but I still listen and follow alot of wild goose chase leads. Every once in a while you find the car from the story told. Hanging out with musclecar enthusiests, even Chivie guys, pays off.

:iagree:  I'm not looking for anything but one time I went to get some model cars from a Corvette guy in Lynn, MA he told me that there was a red AAR or T/A down the street hidden behind a garage.  Not very often will you hear about stuff like that up around Massachusetts.  I think it was owned buy a guy named John Marshall?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger