Author Topic: fender tag question  (Read 7061 times)

Offline 70 rtse

fender tag question
« on: September 26, 2006 - 08:13:44 AM »
Is 70 challenger disk brake code B41 or B51

Offline 426 pentastar

Re: fender tag question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006 - 08:52:46 AM »
B41 is front disc w/std 10in. rear drums,B51 is power brakes required with disc on b,c,e bodys.If you have manual front disc it would be B41

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006 - 11:33:59 AM »
Disc brakes are only coded on the BS and were only available with power brakes in 1970 on e bodys.

Offline 426 pentastar

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006 - 01:52:19 PM »
HHHmmmm,I had a 318 BH 70 and it had factory front manual disk brakes,also my daily driver is a 67 plymouth with factory manual disk brakes.I also took my comments from the factory sales codes.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006 - 06:54:49 PM »
If you see B41 on a 1970 E-Body fender tag, the tag is a fake. B41 would be on the broadcast sheet though.

B51 is power brakes and it was required on the 1970 models with disc brakes.

Barry

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006 - 10:40:09 PM »
HHHmmmm,I had a 318 BH 70 and it had factory front manual disk brakes,also my daily driver is a 67 plymouth with factory manual disk brakes.I also took my comments from the factory sales codes.
Manual disc brakes weren't available in '70 on e-bodies, they were an option in later years.  The only B body manual disc brakes available prior to '71 was for a taxi cab.
A bodies had a manual disc brake option from '67-on.

Offline 426 pentastar

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006 - 08:24:17 AM »
Okie Guys,Seems to be alot of contraversie concerning this so what do you suggest we do to clear it up???? The E-BODY i had wasnt changed by anyone and also the 67 i drive with manual disc is a rag top and trust me it hasnt been changed and im sure it wasnt a taxi,lol,would be a cool one though,now alot of codes only show up on the build sheet and not the fender tag.I have bought and sold,restored around 74 e-bodys since 1984,i have found everything you can think of,from the wrong buildsheet to having six of them with two being for a completly different car,i have also seen codes on fender tags that didnt make any sense,i have also sent them to Galen over the years and he dosnt have  an idea about the info that  dosnt make sense.So how are we going to resolve this and who is correct????The one thing i try to remember when dealing with mopars is that you could order anything and they would build it,also try and remember the line workers were just like me and you and that the laws concerning certain things were not in effect back them ,the line workers would do some crazy things.

Offline 70 rtse

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006 - 08:55:13 AM »
Who would make up a fake tag would'nt you know the diffrence

Offline 426 pentastar

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006 - 02:16:53 PM »
Alot of people make fake tags so they can make fake cars.Now b41 and b51 will be on the fender tag becouse of the bodys in white,it also had to do with the package code that the car was ordered with,the fender tag also told the service department at the dealer what the car had and how to service it,say you ordered an r/t you would get certain things in that package,if you ordered a t/a,you already ordered certain options as part of the package,certain codes were not on the fender tags becouse they were part of the ordered package.Now if you ordered a bh cuda with pdb,ps,pw,heavy duty suspension,383,a/c,auto,you just odered a car by checking the boxes on the order sheet,you didnt order a certain package you basicly made your own car,quess what??? it would all be decoded on the fender tag and would that be a cool car or not??

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006 - 06:50:24 PM »
Fender tags are small, and the codes one them typicaly were body related. Power brake boosters required body modifications, disc brakes did not. So, B51 willl show up on fender tags while B41 will not, B41 will be on the broadcast sheet though.

Barry

sleepychallenger

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006 - 07:23:58 PM »
Barry, my car came from the factory with the flat hood but it is not mentioned on the fender tag. Would it be???

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006 - 07:37:26 PM »
Nope, there is no a sales code for the flat hood.

Depending on the plant and time of year, some other standard items were not coded. Challenger R/Ts are a good example of this, the sport hood was included in the R/T package, but not all R/Ts have J54 on the tag.

Barry

71challengher

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006 - 07:53:54 PM »
The code V5X on my fender tag is the only one I don't know what it is. :clueless:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006 - 08:20:30 PM »
V5X - Body side protective moldings with black rubber insert.

Barry

71challengher

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006 - 08:45:51 PM »
Thank you , Barry. :worshippy That is not going back on the Challenger.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006 - 09:00:37 PM by 71challengher »