Ok Fellow Junkyarders - 7" HID Style Headlights?

Author Topic: Ok Fellow Junkyarders - 7" HID Style Headlights?  (Read 2499 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Ok Fellow Junkyarders - 7" HID Style Headlights?
« on: September 27, 2006 - 10:34:06 PM »
I've hearddddd that 80's BMWs have the HID (or whatever the headlights are called with the removable bulbs) 7" headlights that fit in our mopars. Anyone else know off hand anything that carries such a beast? If so, do share, putting my headlights on relays and would like to upgrade  :cooldancing:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline duodec

Re: Ok Fellow Junkyarders - 7" HID Style Headlights?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006 - 11:33:05 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone had HIDs in the 1980s, and if they were around I'd bet the crufty old US DOT had not yet authorized them for street use in the US.

I'm out of touch with what's available now, but in the '80s you could get aftermarket 7" units that used halogen H4 elements, but they were only approved for offroad use by DOT.  They would fit most any American car with 7" headlight buckets easily.  Hella, Cibie, Carello, and other companies made them (and they were legal in Europe).  You could also get them in motorcycle shops; back then many bikes used standard auto-sized headlamps.

My Dad had 7" Hellas in his GMC pickup and they worked well.  After one was broken by local street trash on a fun run we replaced them with Cibie 'sealed' units; those still used and H4 element but had an inner glass globe around it so the reflector unit was truly sealed.  They didn't provide as nice a pattern as the Hellas, and the bulbs burned out faster, we think because they ran hotter.

I never had 7" Carellos but I ran the 5-3/4" units in my Challenger for years, and the light output was excellent, but they absolutely required a relay to power them, especially with the high beams on.

Heh, just looked up a Hella catalog.  They've got two 7" round conversion headlamps now; the old H4 based unit which is still offroad only in the US  (DOT still hasn't got past the acetylene lamp stage in some ways) but they also list some that use the newer style 9003 bulbs and those don't say anything about offroad only.  I'd bet the light pattern isn't as nice as the H4 units but it'll still be better than your average sealed beam, even a halogen one.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/PDF/Headlamps.pdf

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006 - 10:14:36 AM »
I agree with the above. I have the Cibies with the 55/100 bulbs ( I think those are the H4 ) and they will throw some light ...I have the tickets to prove it lol) you could get 80/150 bulbs also at one time (we called them landing lights) now they have those damn obnoxious blue lasor beams (dont know what they really are called) which is probably what you are referring to as HID, but I believe they only come in the square shape.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006 - 11:24:24 AM »
Yes, I bought an H4 conversion kit off of Ebay with the "city lights" and havent had the car on the street long enough to begin my collection of citations. They are definitely better than the yellow-tint original sealed beams.

Kit is here:
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-H6024-6014-H4-EURO-STYLE-HEADLIGHTS-WITH-CITY-LIGHTS_W0QQitemZ230004622784QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33710QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006 - 08:23:56 AM »
Are the street legal versions available on ebay?

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006 - 03:51:57 PM »
Are the H4 kits illegal for street use? I havent been cited yet and none of the Ebay kits state "off road use only"   :dunno:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline duodec

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006 - 11:07:21 PM »
My understanding (and IANAL) is that the Euro cutoff pattern doesn't meet DOT standards for fuzzy uselessness, and sealed reflectors are required.  Non-sealed reflectors that are common on many European made H1 and H4 based units are verboten.  If, when the bulb is removed you can reach in and touch the reflector surface, its not legal for highway use.  If there's an inner capsule of glass/crystal that keeps the reflector unit sealed, then its possibly OK for highway use.  Of course things may have changed since I bothered keeping up with that particular bureaucracy.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006 - 07:21:54 AM »
Hmmm... well these arnet sealed beams but you cant touch the reflector either. They are all glass bowls and only have ahole in the rear that you insert the bulb in.

I would like to put real HIDS on my car but haven't figured out what I would use for brights. I dont think they make a dual filament HID do they?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006 - 07:40:25 AM »
under one of those ebay listings
Each Set Contains:

1 5 3/4" H4 High/Low Beam Headlamp (replaces 4000 H5006 sealed beams)
1 5 3/4" H1 High Beam Headlamp (replaces H5001 sealed beam)
1 H4 12V 60/55W Clear Halogen Bulb
1 H1 12V 100W Clear Halogen Bulb
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006 - 03:03:54 PM »
Welp i went ahead and bought a ebay setup. We'll see how it works. I'm going with new wiring and relays to handle the brighter bulbs. Looks decent, glass bulbs, no 'diamond cut' looking stuff, and $23 to my door with bulbs. I'll give a report on how they turn out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GEN-1-2-CAMARO-HALOGEN-HEADLIGHT-CONVERSION-KIT-D-I-Y_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ006QQitemZ160032666237QQrdZ1
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006 - 09:49:38 PM »
I use the H4 5-3/4" clear lights with the Blue tinted bulbs in my Challenger. Very bright, no tickets if you keep the low beams to 55w even though you could install the brighter illegal 100w bulbs.

You can see them in the 2 outside headlights in my picture on page 82 of the NOV issue of HOT ROD. I have'nt put in the high beams yet.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006 - 09:13:08 AM »
Goody, I doubt that you'll have any problems if you keep the lights on low beam around town, but the bulbs listed in the auction are illegal for use on road. 55/65W are all that's legal in most places. Like I said though, if you keep them on low beam I think you'll be okay. During my 22 years as a cop I never checked the wattage on anyones headlamps to see if they were legal and never heard of another officer doing so. I did write quite a few tickets for failing to dim headlights though, that is one of my biggest pet peeves!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline willhaven

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006 - 09:47:22 PM »
I did write quite a few tickets for failing to dim headlights though, that is one of my biggest pet peeves!
I hate that too. My 2004 Acura TL has bi-xenon headlights that are very bright and very blue (even on low beams). I often get the "turn your high beams off a-hole" flash from oncoming cars, only to flash them back with the real deal.

Brightest lights I've ever driven with. Whenever I get a 'Cuda, I plan to upgrade the lights all around for sure. Xenon in the front, if possible, LED elsewhere.

Be sure to make a before and after video Goody. It would be nice to see how much of a difference those make!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006 - 08:38:21 AM »
Be sure to make a before and after video Goody. It would be nice to see how much of a difference those make!

Not sure about a video, but I can do before/after tips.

Anyone have recommendations on a method to align the headlights once they are in?
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006 - 08:01:20 PM »
Goody,
Park your car on a flat surface, before taking out the original headlights. I use my garage. Place a 4 X 8 piece of plywood or wallboard “dry wall” about ten feet in front of the car.  Turn on your headlights on low draw a cross where the beam is centered, should be a cross for each light, mark that spot as low beam.  Then turn the headlights on high beam and repeat the process.

Then replace your lights and use the marks to adjust your light with the adjustment screw until they are centered on the marks.  This will get you close enough until you can get them professionally aligned.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)