Author Topic: Normal Engine Operating Temperature?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline pink440

Normal Engine Operating Temperature?
« on: September 28, 2006 - 02:39:42 PM »
I have a 440 (4 bbl) that seems to run warm on freeway drives.  In city driving or lower speed drives (<65 mph) the temp stays at about 180 degrees F.  On extended freeway drives I notice the temp goes over 200, hovering as high as 205 or so.... If I pull off freeway or slow down, temperature drops back down.

Any ideas or explanations?

Thanks as always for great knowledge on this board.
Pink 440

1970 Challenger RT SE

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Normal Engine Operating Temperature?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006 - 03:41:27 PM »
This question seems to buck the trend. Usually it's in the stop and go traffic that overheating occurs. On the hiway, the airflow should cool things down. So I have to wonder about the flow of your coolant. Is the radiator in good shape? Maybe there is some blockage there. Also, what size radiator do you have? Hopefully a 26". A three core would be great. Do you have A.C.? Is there a shroud around the radiator to help the fan draw the heat away? The last possibility I can think of is a lazy water pump.  :clueless:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006 - 06:11:37 PM »
With the 440 I too had a cooling problem ( flash back to Carlisle 2005 ) but mine was the opposite. Hot in traffic and cool on freeway.

Are you running a thermostat? Maybe the cooling effectiveness of the radiator is lost by moving coolant too quickly through radiator? Opposite thought of Mike's, not lazy but maybe too much pump at higher RPM.

More info on your current set-up please!

PS - I could never get a definate "blankety blank degrees is too hot". My car seems to run somewhat better at over 180 degrees, so that's the thermostat I run. I know on my Jeeps the normal operating temps are 210. Now again I realize newwer vehicles run hotter for cleaner emissions, but many new blocks are aluminum with 210 not being a problem. With my new cooling set-up 210 has been the hottest ever in stand still traffic.

I hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006 - 06:15:46 PM by BB73Challenger »
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006 - 01:30:38 AM »
This question seems to buck the trend. Usually it's in the stop and go traffic that overheating occurs. On the hiway, the airflow should cool things down. So I have to wonder about the flow of your coolant. Is the radiator in good shape? Maybe there is some blockage there. Also, what size radiator do you have? Hopefully a 26". A three core would be great. Do you have A.C.? Is there a shroud around the radiator to help the fan draw the heat away? The last possibility I can think of is a lazy water pump.  :clueless:

Mike

:iagree:

Also, what is your RPM at highway speed?
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006 - 10:12:08 AM »
Your factory temp gage will still show on the low side of normal at 180. operating range when the T stat is open is from 1805 to 210 or so. These engines are fine at 220. Above that, you should worry. I'd say you're fine. Maybe check to make sure the cowl seal and radiator support seals are intact, and that there is no debris in the fins, and that the clutch fan works right (if equipped). I wouldnt sweat it.

Offline wiging19

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006 - 10:51:07 AM »
 :drunk: My challenger would overheat if I took it to far above the speed limit (especially when I drove it to Phoenix in May).  I found that when I changed engines (318 to 360 crate) I didn't put the fan extender on the newer engine.  Once I put that on the engine my cooling problems disappeared.  I wasn't causing enough back pressure with the fan to cool my radiator.  I thought the fan was inside the fan shroud far enough to cool the engine properly but I was wrong.  It is worth checking.  The part can be bought at most auto stores.  :chatting: