Author Topic: SixPack carb problems  (Read 1667 times)

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
SixPack carb problems
« on: October 01, 2006 - 06:47:22 AM »
Went to fire up my Challenger yesterday, ran awful rough, like it was getting way too much gas. Sure enough that was the problem. Also had a little puddle of  gas collecting on the intake manifold underneath the rear carb. The weird part is that after I shut the engine off, I could hear a trickling sound coming from the engine, and that sound lasted about 10 seconds. Turns out that gas was pouring ( and I do mean pouring ) into the rear carb. What could be causing that? Anybody got any ideas? I'm just about ready to say the hell with it and go buy some new sixpack carbs and hope  for the better.
Frustrating, though. Came home from work yesterday hoping to take the Challenger out for a little ride, being one of the last nice days I'll see around here, and then I couldn't do it. Well, I vented enough. Thanks for any help coming my way.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
Re: SixPack carb problems
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006 - 07:17:47 AM »
It sounds like your float is leaking or stuck and with pressure still in the system to the carbs, it will continue to leak when you shut it off till the pressure drops. Not too difficult to pull the carb and put in a new needle and seat. The outer carbs do feed on idle, they have idle adjustment screws just like the center carb but the rear one is difficult to get to without a handy dandy little cable type screw driver gizzmo. Do you have the stock type fuel pump or are you running an electrc? Too much fuel pressure can create havoc too.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006 - 11:11:35 AM »
pull the rear needle & seat from the bowl , clean it & reinstall it & reset the float level , you do not need to remove the carb to do this just undo the nut ontop of the rear float bowl

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006 - 07:43:38 AM »
I had a particularly bad fuel tank once, and I had it down to 4 minutes to pull over, shut down, pull, clean, reinstall, and go. Of course, that was a dual scoop hood..lol. A Shaker is 10 minutes just to see the carbs...

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006 - 10:50:21 PM »
pull the rear needle & seat from the bowl , clean it & reinstall it & reset the float level , you do not need to remove the carb to do this just undo the nut ontop of the rear float bowl

:iagree:  and an oil/filter change is in order....
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006 - 06:46:48 AM »

:iagree:
Think you also need to remove the plugs & spin it over to get all that fuel out or you could create other problems.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Tom Quad

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006 - 07:45:10 PM »
the o ring on the needle seat is bad. holley makes a repair kit just for this