Author Topic: DIY Bedliner brands...recommendations?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline EvilTwinATX

DIY Bedliner brands...recommendations?
« on: October 02, 2006 - 03:30:53 AM »
Anyone ever use Duplicolor, Herculiner or similar bedliners to coat the underside of your car?

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Re: DIY Bedliner brands...recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006 - 08:45:25 AM »
I don't know of anyone who has done it, but I always thought they would work really well.  But doing some online research, there is the feeling that you would have to be very careful not to get moisture trapped under it when you apply the stuff.  Most other products for the underside have rust inhibitors in them to help against that.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006 - 08:55:01 AM »
I used Gator Guard II. Looks nice, went on nice. Not sure how well it will hold up..Seems a bit on the stiff side to me. I know there are truck bedliner products out there that are more flexible. The Gator Guard is fairly glossy and should clean up well. The problem with traditional undercoats is that they stay gooey and won't clean very well. Road debris gets imbedded in the undercoating.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006 - 10:59:31 AM »
Here is a couple of the underside we just did recently on a 70 Coronet R/T convert.That is Speedliner.This stuff is very durible and even has Kevlar in it.Not a diy kit but some dealer should be able to spray it for you.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006 - 09:15:41 PM »
Looks good... but I cant afford to go to a dealer.. I need a DIY solution. :cooldancing:
I contracted a modile media blaster to come out and do the undercarriage on Friday. I tried using a torch, aircraft stripper and it sucked... I could tell it would have taken me a friggin week to get it clean well enough to paint or coat.. so I sucked it up and hired someone. If I had a rotoisserie I would have done it myself... but doing on your back sucks, especially outside in the grass (with ants) in 95 degree whether.

So far it looks like the front runner solution is to blast it.... and POR15 and the paint it POR15 chassis black. Mostly because I already have the POR 15 and I know it will hold up to the elements. Still love the lizard skin though...

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006 - 05:31:54 AM »
You might want to check on Moparts.com.There was a thread on this about a month ago listing several DIY kit they had used.

Offline duodec

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006 - 03:47:22 PM »
I've read (and seen on TV) a number of shops and people using and recommending Line-X and other spray on bedliners for undercoat duty on 4x4 trucks and rock crawlers.  I'd wonder how much weight the stuff adds to a car, but I'd bet its probably the toughest and most enduring coating you can (currently) get.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006 - 09:03:41 AM »
I finally decided to use this process. I can do the whole undercarriage for under $200 and I think would be better than bedliner. I am going to POR15 the undercarriage, then spray on 3M Body Shutz (which is a rubberized undercoating and is paintable) to help deaden sound and give a nice appearance and then paint POR15 Chassis Black over the top of everything.
I did a test panel already and it looks great... should be chip proof, help deaden sound and easy to maintain.

I will post some pics when I am done.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006 - 01:00:13 PM »
Let us know how that goes! Sounds like a good plan. I'm interested to know if that stuff stays gooey or if it dries-up but stays flexible. The old school undercoats where petroleum/ashphalt based and stayed gooey...forever!

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006 - 08:10:16 PM »
found a couple of pics I found of what it should look like .... mine however will be topcoated with Chassis Black. It should be chip resistant and easy to clean. Well see.. :stirpot:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006 - 08:22:07 PM by EvilTwinATX »