Author Topic: The minimal knowledge resto.........  (Read 11584 times)

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
The minimal knowledge resto.........
« on: October 02, 2006 - 06:02:18 PM »
 Well my Chally has FINALLY got shelter  :woohoo:  :woo: My buddy has let me use his garage  :ylsuper: :worshippy (yes I owe him dearly),(he's as good as they get  :cheers: ) Yes his kids already want to be involved  :2thumbs:
My bud, and I will be taking this on headfirst  :bricks1: With the hopes of gaining as much knowledge as possible along the way. We are going to do our best, regardless of how it turns out  :eek4:  :lol2:
 This is a whole new creature to us, welding skills are minimal, so we will need an immense amount of help from all who are willing to share some knowledge......PLEASE PLEASE   :1zhelp: :clueless: :lol: I will have a million questions, (I already do, and It's only the second day  :misbehaving: ) So I do apologize in advance for being a future pain in the @ss   :horse:
 Don't look for any impressive updates  :grinno: , but I will share everything we try to accomplish  :thumbsup:
Wish us luck  :cheers:

By the way, first question, Where the f#%k do you begin  :roflsmiley:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
Re: The minimal knowledge resto.........
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006 - 06:05:03 PM »
More holes  :woo:

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline Four-Forty-fied

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006 - 06:11:02 PM »

By the way, first question, Where the f#%k do you begin  :roflsmiley:

Body shop guys seem to always work back to front, atleast on unibodies that is. Guess it has to do with structural integrity, and once that is all squared away, you can line up the doors, fenders and hood.

Good luck, and post many, many photos!

crazy larry

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006 - 06:20:10 PM »
Looks to be missing some parts, Welding skills will be advanced when your done. Cut out the rust and fab new patch panels to fill the hole. 110 mig welder shielded gas is your friend. And sand blaster. :2thumbs:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006 - 06:39:17 PM »
Congrats on someone helping you get a shelter. That is a good friend indeed. Got anymore friends with empty garages?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Four-Forty-fied

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006 - 06:42:13 PM »
While on the subject of welding, when welding sheet metal, don't lay a bead. The thin metal can't take the heat. Keep tack welding it, with each tack in the middle of the last section until it is pretty much as solid as a bead.

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006 - 06:49:54 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate it bigtime  :cheers:

Will try that F F fied  :thumbsup:

110 mig welder shielded gas is your friend. And sand blaster. :2thumbs:
Have both  :thumbsup:

Looks to be missing some parts

Nope, she was 100% complete, before I took her apart  :working:
Here's a few pics from the early nineties

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006 - 07:26:20 PM »
I need to get up your way,and I know that I keep saying that.But I have been so freakin busy I feel like a wirlwind.And as winter sets in My project will have to stop for a while(garage has no heat)so when I am climbing the walls around here itching to work on my car your gonna get a call from the clown.Just a suggestion to get used to working with a welder and sheetmetal get an old fender and cut some chunks out and reattach em.It gets you used to the welder and also give you a little practice on fitting.Just my two cent's--------the Clown

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006 - 09:33:50 PM »
Where to begin? Next car I do the FIRST thing I do is build a rotisserrie.... you can beat it for being able to get to the hard to reach places...no welding above your head, etc..

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006 - 11:23:10 PM »
This will be another fun project to watch come back to life!  What do you see her looking like when she's done?  Going back plum crazy?  What engine do you have for her?
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006 - 09:39:23 AM »
Glad to see that your starting the process!  I'll be watching!   :popcorn:
  Great pal you have there!

Maybe not much to contribute though.  :walkaway: There's lots of people here that can do that better than I.  :thumbsup: 

I guess I would start by emptying  the car out and organizing everything to make the process smoother.  The rotisserrie that EvilTwinATX suggested sounds like a great idea if you can hack it.

This is what mine looks like:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006 - 09:52:35 PM »
R/T-

I jsut saw your post. I have just pulled the roof skin off of my Challenger. I was going to toss the whole skin, but I see that maybe you may be able to use the front edge. Mine seems OK. Do you need it?
heres what the front edge looked like before I drilled it out.

http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/image/67929537

If you want, I can cut off a section-

Best regards,

dmz73
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006 - 10:17:07 PM »
R/T, I'm glad you found a place to store it and that you're able to start working on it.  Just take your time and be accurate with your work and it'll be an amazing car when you are finished!!! :cheers: :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline JCWCuda

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006 - 04:34:35 AM »
I may have to take road trip Too  :bricks1: If i remeber correctly you live in or near Westfield ? if so its only an hour and a half away (to the exit ) :bricks1: I drive by there every night for Work on my way to Manchester NH

1974 Barracuda 360
2008 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l Hemi
1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l
Gone but not forgotten
1967 Barracuda 273
1976 Charger 318
2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7l
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006 - 08:02:26 PM »
 First off, my bud (who owns the garage) just had a baby boy  :ylsuper: number 4   :dogpile: :22yikes: :1zhelp:  :lol:
So I took some time off, no need to be grinding away with a new one around, but all is well, and that's all that matters, so were back on track now  :working:
 Thanks everyone for the support, I'm gonna need it  :lol:
 M Clown, Whenever you get the chance to come up this way, just let me know. VERY cool of you to offer your assistance  :cheers: No rush. What are ya doing tommorrow, the next day, the next day after that  :lol2: J/K
 Evil, I am just waiting for sadil340 to finish up with his Cuda, and I'll be heading down to Conn. for the rotiserrie   :thumbsup:
 SB72, I don't know what to say, but I nearly pissed myself  :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: Good job man  :smilielol:
 DMZ73, Thanks a million for the offer, I'll definitely take you up on that. I can maybe give you a few Chally parts if your missing anything that I may have. Just let me know. I'll be in touch  :cheers:
JCW, I'm actually in Worcester, but feel free to stop by anytime at all  :thumbsup:
 Got new sheetmetal this weekend  :woohoo: :woo:
Also we got some work done/started/F'd up  :lol: We took out the drivers trunk floor extension, cut some of the quarter panel out, and started drilling out the spot welds in the trunk. I know this may not seem like a lot to some, but to me it's a huge step. Were having a blast learning what to do  :grinyes: and what NOT to do  :grinno: quickly.
 By the way how the hell do you get an outer wheelwell housing off  :dunno: :clueless: :1zhelp:
 Thanks all  :thumbsup:

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts