Author Topic: Removing windshield????  (Read 1236 times)

Offline r15303

Removing windshield????
« on: October 02, 2006 - 09:48:46 PM »
Gotta put my rebuilt dash and dash structure back in now and I'm wondering if it would be easier if I pulled out the windshield to do it.  The dash structure and all came out pretty easy with the glass in but for re-install would it make sense to pull out the windshield?  It is the original glass with the original sealant.  Has anyone had any experience doing this?  Can I run a piano wire around the seal and lift out the glass or am I asking for trouble?  Any help appreciated.
 :feedback:
Thanks

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
Re: Removing windshield????
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006 - 12:01:29 AM »
I did mine with picture hanger wire and two metal pipes for handles.  As long as you go slow and take your time it should be fairly painless. Try and get as much sealant out beforehand as possible to cut down of the resistance of the adhesive.  Good Luck! 
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006 - 06:52:47 AM »
http://big-dog.us/challenger/images/Albums/20/index.html      http://big-dog.us/challenger/images/Albums/21/index.html

This was the result of removing the windshield from My car.  It is easy to get to the dash this way.   I was able to get  new glass from Napa.  About $146.00.   

Good luck with the task.  David
Dave or David

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006 - 10:01:21 PM »
if iti is the orignal glass & you want to keep it I would leave it in there , the 4 screws down the defroster vents will be a problem with the glass in place , you will need a flexable extension to get them in & a girl with small hands helps a lot too

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006 - 09:19:05 PM »
If you want to keep the windshield in place id have to agree with cc.  When i did my dash(windshield was all broken :crying:)  I used some metal wire and WITH GLOVES* rapped one end around a screwdriver and one around a pair of pliers and with a sawing motion went back and forth all the way around the windshield and after that was done it just, pushes out :thumbsup:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006 - 10:24:25 PM »
I busted my windshield trying to take it out with piano wire.. Harbor Freight sells window remover tools that works better in my opinion. I was the same tool the pro glass guy used to take out the rear window after I messed up the front.. :walkaway:

Here is a picture of the tool I bought....
http://buickperformance.com/glassremove.htm

Offline r15303

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006 - 09:06:40 AM »
Thanks Guys
My windshield is original and in good shape so I think I'll leave it in and find someone with small hands to start those hard to reach bolts!
Thanks
Mark

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006 - 12:02:17 AM »
I have broken windows with both Piano wire & the L shaped cutter tool , it is much easier If you take your car to Vegas in the summer & let it heat up to 160* or so first 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t