Author Topic: Best place to buy Shaker parts??  (Read 7167 times)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Best place to buy Shaker parts??
« on: October 05, 2006 - 04:34:01 PM »
Whats the best place to but some Shaker parts?? Yearone, or ??? THANKS!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Triple Black hemi

Re: Best place to buy Shaker parts??
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006 - 04:57:51 PM »
www.harmsauto.com

Ask for Scott, great products, quality and service.   :thumbsup:

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006 - 05:03:23 PM »
www.harmsauto.com

Ask for Scott, great products, quality and service.   :thumbsup:

:iagree: I have not bought shaker parts but have bought other items from Scott. Always a fair deal and he's a member of the board.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006 - 08:29:25 PM »
i just looked on his website, I didnt see what i need. Does he have other things that the website dosent show??  :dunno:
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006 - 09:33:42 PM »
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006 - 10:42:40 PM »
what parts exactly do you need? I just pieced my whole kit together....

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006 - 11:57:36 PM »
Thanks to those who have reccomended our products, I appreciate that and your business!  root  :cheers:

We entered the Shaker Hood conversion market because we saw room for an improved quality and OEM detail Shaker Hood Conversion product as compared to what was already on the reproduction market. Because there were already multiple excellent quality reproduction sources for most of the other Shaker componants we chose not reproduce them. 

We also realized that most of our customers would of course need the other componants to complete thier setups. What we did to lend a hand was to evaluate all of the known sources for reproductions of these other componants (as compared to originals we have on hand) and came up with a list of reccomended vendors.

Other than quality the biggest variable  between them is price. We shopped most vendors and found that by large most of thier prices are pretty similar (on similar quality offerings) but there are some vendors who try a little harder than others, and more importantly, offer quality service as well.

Of all the items the two most visible are the Shaker bubble and grills, if the bubble is low quality it's going to show, and if the fit of the grills into the bubble openings is not excellent, they can really look bad. For this reason I would be VERY particular about who you choose for a source on these two componants. To date the best quality bubbles I have seen are offered by AAR Fiberglass & Gene Gregory (also sold through Six Pack Performance), the best grills I've seen are made by Jerome Verbit, his are available either direct or sold through Six Pack Performance and Year One. The originals were cast metal, and so are Jeromes, but they are expensive to. Another excellent fitting grill are the least expensive as well, the plastic units available from AAR Fiberglass and often seen on ebay, yes, wrong material but they look "real" once installed and fit great at a VERY low price.

The other major componants you'll need are the Base Plate & Adapter Ring, these are only manufactured by two vendors, Shakerhood.com and Gene Gregory (also sold through Six Pack Performance) the quality is pretty similar but if you want the most accurate I'd reccomend Gene's, his welds are more like factory originals among other small details but his also cost a little more. Art Pacheco at Six Pack is a good guy, and even though we are competitors on some products I consider him to be a good parts source who offers friendly service.

I've found that in many cases the majority of the under hood parts are available at the lowest prices on Ebay, especially things like the Air Filter Lid, Filter Hot & Cold Air Doors, Cables, Shaker Feet, Nuts, Bolts, and other misc. hardware.

If you want a really low cost alternative you could use a fiberglass Base Plate & Adapter Ring, and a lower cost bubble and grills, the easiest source is Year One for these parts, but I can put you in touch with the manufacturer as well, just e-mail me. These parts have some drawbacks other than the OEM lack of appearance/detail, as they also lack many provisions for functional H&C Air Doors, cables, etc. but will typically get the job done and locate your bubble through the hole in the hood.

At any rate I'm sure if you guys make a few phone calls you can compare prices for yourself, quality is something that's hard to shop, maybe some of the opinions posted above can guide you in that area. I hope these comments help you a little in your shopping.

*As a convienience to our customers we have started stocking AAR Fiberglass bubbles and sell them at the same price as going direct.

Best regards,
Scott Smith
Harms Inc.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006 - 07:29:07 AM by Harms inc. »

Offline Finoke

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006 - 05:40:55 AM »
Scott,
Very well written. I didn't post the original question, but I'm in the process of looking for the venders and pieces. This will help greatly, as I"m on a budget and still want the final conversion to look nice! I'm looking forward to having your conversion kit arrive.
thanks
Tom Finoke

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006 - 08:10:40 AM »
Scott , (Harms) thanks for your reply.

Evil- what I need is a new baseplate ( the piece that fits directly on top of the carb.) Long story short... I'm gonna re-jet my carb - I discovered when I took the Shaker off that the base plate had been modified to fit the 750DP thats on my Hemi.  It appears that it was a 4BBL base plate but not designed to fit that cartb. Therefore unfiltered air is getting thro the bottom and going into the engine...  :scared:

Thats the reason for my post, I did look on Shaker .com And Yearone big price difference between the two. But still don't know if it will solve the problem.

Thanks again to all respondents-ALL info is appriciated!!!  :thumbsup:
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006 - 08:51:03 AM »
the baseplate is actually the only thing I haven't bought yet...Doh. I think you only have a few choices if you want to get a metal baseplate for a hemi.. sixpackperformance, shakerhood.com,gene gregory directly or YO.
I think gene's come with the bellcrank already attached and is included in the price... I dont think shakerhood.com's baseplate has that. I cannot speak for YO or sixpackperformance (I think they buy them for ben snobar but not sure)
Have you thought about just modifying that one to fit your hemi... if is already modified then maybe there is no harm is doing that?  :clueless: Unforunately they are all about the same price unless you want to go fiberglass. Wish I could be more help. :walkaway:

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006 - 10:03:51 AM »
the baseplate is actually the only thing I haven't bought yet...Doh. I think you only have a few choices if you want to get a metal baseplate for a hemi.. sixpackperformance, shakerhood.com,gene gregory directly or YO.
I think gene's come with the bellcrank already attached and is included in the price... I dont think shakerhood.com's baseplate has that. I cannot speak for YO or sixpackperformance (I think they buy them for ben snobar but not sure)
Have you thought about just modifying that one to fit your hemi... if is already modified then maybe there is no harm is doing that?   Unforunately they are all about the same price unless you want to go fiberglass. Wish I could be more help.

The Bell Crank is not attached to the Base Plate, it is spot welded to the Adapter Ring. Bens Adapter rings (he owns Shakerhood.com) do come with the Bell Crank, but he also sells the Bell Crank sepperately which may add to the confusion (pic below is Bens). Gene Gregory's also come this way. It can be confusing because the adapter ring and base plate get bolted together and appear to be one big base plate when in fact they are two major componants.

These two companies are the ONLY two sources for these two componants made in steel. All other offerings seen anywhere else are either fiberglass or are Gene's/Ben's product being sold through a dealer. The best prices I've ever seen were through dealers selling them on ebay (typically Bens products). Gene is pretty much only selling his direct (and he does sell on ebay) or through Six Pack Performance, and as I said above, are the premium product on the market (IMO).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006 - 10:05:49 AM by Harms inc. »

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006 - 01:59:02 PM »
thanks for clarifying Scott.  :bigsmile:

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006 - 04:01:21 PM »
No problem Evil, you may want to check this out as well, I think I stole this from Barry a while back....Pay no attention to the names, most won't make much sense as compared to some of todays descriptions, but the pics can sure help!

Offline xblade

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006 - 04:03:01 PM »
I talked with Gene Gregory at monster mopar '05 and, if I remember right , he said that he made different bases for different aftermarket intake setups (other than just the 3 factory setups). I'm sure it must be to correct highth differences but he may have diff. carb setups too. If your on a budget I found on the net a guy who bought a yearone f-glass piece and adapted an aftermarket round base to it for his application (thermoguad, I think?). sorry no link to that though.
good luck

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006 - 03:12:24 PM »
I bought the entire setup from Sixpack Performance for my 71 Cuda and I love it. Scott was not offering his parts at that time.
BTW, the most expensive baseplate of all is the the one that fits the single 4 barrel 426 crate motor. I think Gean said that they were around $750. He has to use two seperate base plates to make one. That was one of the reasons for sticking with my rally hood on my Challenger convert. The entire shaker hood setup for it would have been around $5000.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com