Stock/Sleeper look for the 318? Or leave it?

Author Topic: Stock/Sleeper look for the 318? Or leave it?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Stock/Sleeper look for the 318? Or leave it?
« on: October 06, 2006 - 06:16:47 PM »
Well since the motor was put in, I've had the Mopar Performance stuff like so. I never run the air cleaner unless im at a show..which i never do much of anyway. Because it ends up being quite a big restriction on the motor with the drop base and such.

My normal street/strip gear is the ram air setup like so.

However I've been chasing a unsealable valve cover deal with these MP's, so i picked up a pair of factory chromies for hardly anything at the junkyard in an attempt to get a good seal. And well I was thinkin...lol (which is never a good thing). Should i pull the intake, grind the logos off, paint it blue, and throw some '318' decals on there?  :clueless:

Be kinda funny to have a 'sleeper 318'  :lol: Heres how it sits now.

Decals i had in mind.

For the valve covers

Air cleaner.

So the MP stuff (but i cant get it to seal). Or go 'sleeper'?  :bigsmile:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Four-Forty-fied

Re: Stock/Sleeper look for the 318? Or leave it?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006 - 06:34:41 PM »
I vote for the sleeper look. That's awesome. How about painting the valve covers too? I like the look of a completely orange or blue engine.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006 - 06:53:27 PM »
I vote for the sleeper look. That's awesome. How about painting the valve covers too? I like the look of a completely orange or blue engine.

Well they are factory chromes like off a little red express or the later motors. Which I kinda like, I'll start out with chrome and see how it looks. I have a pair of my old painted valve covers that i can reshoot. Rather not shoot over the chromies  :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Thanks, one vote for stocker.  :bigsmile:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline ESGEE

• 1970 Challenger RT/SE
    • SG´s site
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006 - 08:07:24 PM »
Mopar Performance looks better i think... :cheers:
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B196875)
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B115166)
70 Challenger SE(RT/SE clone)
69 Charger RT/SE 4speed Trackpac
70 Charger 500

Offline BARACDA

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006 - 08:29:31 PM »
I dont follow you on the restriction of the drop base your talking about but as for the aluminum I would paint it.  I didnt paint the alum intake on my 340 and everything from gas to grease makes it look bad.  If I was doing it again I would do it with paint.

jim

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006 - 09:42:25 PM »
I dont follow you on the restriction of the drop base your talking about but as for the aluminum I would paint it.  I didnt paint the alum intake on my 340 and everything from gas to grease makes it look bad.  If I was doing it again I would do it with paint.

jim

Drop base + ~2" filter = about 1" or so between the carb and the top of the air cleaner. Car definately does not run as good as it does from idle to redline in comparison to my ram-air setup thats on there. Its a restriction.  :eek4:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006 - 10:17:05 AM »
I like the sleeper look Goody. Back in 88 or so when I still had my 70 'Cuda I filed the edelbrock name off an LD-340 since it had a Mopar part number on it and painted it engine color. Looked pretty damn good too but some ass stole it and my Mallory dual point and Holley 750 carb also  :swear:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006 - 02:13:00 PM »
Go with the sleeper look!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006 - 04:45:53 PM »
Thanks everyone. I do have my original stocker valve covers. Took off the factory wire separators/mounts and am reshooting them blue. I'm thinking I'll go with the blue valve covers over the stock chromies.  :bigsmile:

I just have too many valve covers hangin around  :lol: 1 MP black wrinkle set, 1 MP Polished set, stock chromes and stock painted ones  :screwy:. My parts stash is getting bigger  :thumbsup:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline xblade

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006 - 06:01:43 PM »
Love the car but theres nothing sleeper about a yellow cuda. It would look like a mean mofo even with a slant six! I would personally like to see a blacked out glass hood with a big square six pack scoop on it. I'm sure which ever direction you go will look great, just keep posting pics of the car. You have good camera skills.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006 - 07:09:58 PM »
Love the car but theres nothing sleeper about a yellow cuda. It would look like a mean mofo even with a slant six!
:iagree:
If you were wanting a sleeper, then you would have to change the exhaust and cam for a smoother idle, then paint it a dark color (not black) so not to call attention to the car.  After looking at your videos, there is nothing sleeper about your Cuda.  You should go with what ever you want, but I would surely remove the Super Six labeling.

Either way, I have to say that I love what you have done with your Cuda.   :2thumbs:

Also, what type of alternator is that?  Does it solve the low idle, low amp problem?
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006 - 11:36:13 PM »
:iagree:
If you were wanting a sleeper, then you would have to change the exhaust and cam for a smoother idle, then paint it a dark color (not black) so not to call attention to the car.  After looking at your videos, there is nothing sleeper about your Cuda.  You should go with what ever you want, but I would surely remove the Super Six labeling.

Either way, I have to say that I love what you have done with your Cuda.   :2thumbs:

Also, what type of alternator is that?  Does it solve the low idle, low amp problem?

Well....i think the 'sleeper' kinda went off course. Of course the CAR wont be a sleeper. But popping the hood with a baby blue just a 318 that doesnt look very potent but will click off a 13sec 1/4 is kinda what im after, for the bowtie and ford oval boys to  :clueless: about lol. I'm not too happy with the 'mp' look. I know darn right the car doesnt look like a sleeper, but the motor can look harmless. The super six labeling is just a joke, i have that and a plain black lid lying around and i leave it on there just to be funny.

its a 90amp denso alt, i could use a slightly smaller pulley. Once i get the headlights on relays and such I'll have to get back to you on how it is at idle with everything on.
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006 - 05:08:41 AM »
The MP valve covers match the MP air cleaner and look great but if you are running the stock looking ram air setup then either the stock chrome or stock painted valve covers would match better.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006 - 09:08:39 AM »
I don't know if I'd call it a "Sleeper" look, but I like the Cold Air setup.  It's something different and that I've never seen before.  Very Cool! :thumbsup:
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006 - 10:52:12 AM »
I vote to leave it dressed up, but V/C seal is very important, so leave the chrome covers on it.

Now if you had a large 406 small block in there I'd say paint it all to hide what it is for a sleeper look.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat