Author Topic: Stock/Sleeper look for the 318? Or leave it?  (Read 4441 times)

sleepychallenger

Re: Stock/Sleeper look for the 318? Or leave it?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006 - 11:39:01 AM »
IMO you should file off the markings, paint it blue, then put the blue covers on it. think you are right about the Ford and Chevy guys  :clueless: but when you open the hood and see what just ran that 13 you will probably get this too   :faint:

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006 - 12:39:12 PM »
When I was about your age I owned a 1966 Belvedere II Convertible, it was an original Daffodil Yellow (pale yellow) and an original 383 Comando (pretty rare car actually, wish I still had it). The previous owner put those stupid deep dish chrome wheels on it with bolt in wire baskets and 60 series BGF's all around. The original engine was WAY tired and the paint was faded all topped off with a silver replacement drivers door. As you can imagine, not much of a threat to look at it and it was REALLY quite sounding with Hemi mufflers and a full dual exhaust.

Long story short, I blew the 383 up one day (on purpose but that's another story) and replaced it with a super low mile 440 out of the local wrecking yard (only $150.00 in 1981 with 10 to choose from, ah those were the days!). It was a complete bolt in deal, all I did was add a new carb and had the exhaust welded up for the HP exhaust manifolds and painted the entire engine factory Turquoise Blue. The car had a 3:55 Sure Grip and was an absalute monster as compared to the tired 383 that it once had, but it was still quiet and a "sleeper" for sure, although I never raced it for a time slip I'd say the car was probably a high 13 second/low 14 second car which is all it took to beat most cars you'd actually meet on the street back then.

The next weekend I went out to the local illegal street racing drags which was held outside of town at an old frontage road (This was in Vancouver Washington). There were at least 50 cars lined up to do battle, (and although I don't promote street racing anymore, back then it was allot of fun). I had my chance against a couple cars that night, the first was a green with orange flame job 69 Chevelle running a loud small block combo, I beat him so bad it he was done before I even put it into 3rd (Automatic). The next car was a 66 Mustang (either an original Shelby or a very nice clone). It was blue with white stripes, all kinds of chrome under the hood, Cobra valve covers, you know, the whole Shelby glitzy dress up package, etc. Overall a VERY nice car. That car was a 4 speed car and the owner was a real punk, mouthing off to everyone about how fast his car was (perfect example of a spoiled "silver sthingy" kid for sure).

Anyway, I really thought he would beat me so I just lined up and hit the gas......I WASTED him buy 4-5 car lengths! We returned to the start and he was even louder now, telling everyone how he'd missed a shift and how I cheated and jumped the start, etc. (He would have made a perfect "Pinks" contestant) so we agreed to do it again. This time I beat him even worse! LOL! It was great! ...But nothing, and I mean NOTHING was better than the look on his face when I popped my hood to reveal my "Stock 383"  :naughty:  looking all inocent in it's bland light blue paint job and running so smooth you could barely hear it.

Moral of the story? Sleepers (even if just a sleeper engine) are cool in my book :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006 - 12:43:11 PM by Harms inc. »

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006 - 03:35:02 PM »
haha, good story scott. I'm not too crazy about my flowmaster mufflers. Just in comparison to how it runs with open 3" cutouts, to the 2 1/2" super 40s is very noticeable (to me). Maybe get some 3" diesel mufflers or something that will flow like crazy but shut it up...maybe.  :clueless:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006 - 04:02:42 PM »
You'd be surprised how quiet (and efficient) a mandrel bent 2 1/2 " exhaust system with pair of regular old Hemi mufflers, an X-pipe, and stock resonators would be, that's what I'd run on your car. I bet it would be just as fast as it is now.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006 - 04:37:55 PM »
Welp, intake came off this moring. took care of the 'performer rpm' the best i could. Didn't quite feel i could get a good enough angle on the 'edelbrock' to make it look decent. Its being painted, valve covers are blue, just hoping i can go find some PCV/Breather grommets that will fit these off the shelf.  :1zhelp:. Hopefully be back together tonight  :popcorn:

:grinyes: gettin there
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006 - 04:49:44 PM by GoodysGotACUDA »
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006 - 05:14:11 PM »
Here, it's easy, I fixed it for you   :bigsmile:

But seriously, a small Wizzer/Dremil tool (like $19.00 at Harbor Frieght) and a cutting disc will make short work of the Edelbrock. or just fill in and make a rectangular shape out of the letters with some bondo or JB Weld, paint over it, and it will look like a blank "boss"

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006 - 05:16:45 PM by Harms inc. »

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006 - 09:29:08 PM »
my sleeper would have direct connect blue anodized steel covers everything painted blue besides chrome waterpump bolts and dip stick.   but thats looking good.    paint the ram air set up blue.
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006 - 09:39:37 PM »
Welp here it sits so far. Just kinda toss the air cleaner on and such for a pic. I know i need to attempt to reshoot the timing chain cover and what not with a little fresh paint to help it out. Anyone think i should black that alum fuel line that crosses over the intake? any other suggestions/commets?  :popcorn:

1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006 - 11:03:39 PM »
Looking good.

Now if you could just figure out how to make those headers look like original manifolds.  :clueless:

I would leave the ram air setup black, otherwise there would be tooo much blue.  :eek7:

1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006 - 11:05:51 PM »
I'd put a 68-71 style 340 unsilenced non snorkel style OEM black wrinkle air cleaner, lose the ram air hoses, and hide the fuel lines, paint the headers black, make it look as mundane as possible.
 :bigshades:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006 - 11:32:28 PM »

I love the stock/sleeper look. I like my cars to look stock but preform better, only thing that gives it away on my cars is the size of the rims and the stance, but nothing like 80's style rake. lol Do as you please Goody, you do good no matter what anyhow.  :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006 - 11:42:22 PM »
Mike, that looks great all painted blue!!!!  That's my plan for the 340 I have for my Chally....It's going all Chrysler blue with old school M/T valve covers...The kicker is I'm hoping to be pumping well over 450+ hp with it. :biggrin:  Oh, and I finally got a chance to read the Mopar Muscle article about you...It's nice!!! :clapping:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006 - 11:54:12 PM »
I'd put a 68-71 style 340 unsilenced non snorkel style OEM black wrinkle air cleaner, lose the ram air hoses, and hide the fuel lines, paint the headers black, make it look as mundane as possible.
 :bigshades:

Meh....Ram Air does work. And i already have it lol. Not looking to spend whatever the hell they want for a OEM style air cleaner. My $15 ram-air setup will do me just fine for now. Fuel lines probably aren't going anywhere, and not painting the ceramic coating on the headers (though its not that nice anyway, but me and header paint never got along.  :eek4:)

I like the lean-burn lid better too.  :bigsmile:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006 - 11:57:22 PM »
I like the lean-burn lid better too.  :bigsmile:

:iagree:
Good idea.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006 - 06:13:36 AM »
 Now put a hidden nitrous system on it and really make some people mad  :ylsuper:
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)