Author Topic: Thinking of Selling Out  (Read 1787 times)

Offline BarryBum

• 72 Cuda 340/Pistol Grip 4 Speed
    • Missionary Wesleyan Car Show
Thinking of Selling Out
« on: October 07, 2006 - 09:33:09 PM »
I am very seriously considering selling my Cuda and my C4 Corvette and getting me a C5 Corvette and using the extra money to pay off a few small annoying credit card debts that I have. This would free up about $550-$600 per month for the family. We have a sophmore in high school and we are trying to get our finances in order for him to go to college.
I got to thinking seriously about this a few days ago, I have not driven my Cuda but probably a half dozen times all summer. Since I got it finished, I have discovered that I am finding more excuses not to drive it that to drive it. Its always things like, "well, its clean and I don't want to have to spend all that time cleaning it again" or "Theres too much traffic and I am scared it may get hit".....just stuff like that. So I'll take the targa out of the Vette, turn up the tunes and hit the road. I am finding it much more enjoyable to drive a newer car with all the creature comforts than the old,hot,loud muscle car.
I am not posting this as a for sale ad, or as a BarryBum bashing session, I just want to know if you guys think this is an insane idea or not......keep in mind, that its not to just get rid of the Cuda, but also to get me another car and pay off debts to help my month to month budget.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Thinking of Selling Out
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006 - 09:36:42 PM »
If you are not using it there seems to be no better time to cash in on an E-body than now. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006 - 10:25:09 PM »
I can relate with ya on part of it. I'm that way with the Chally and the Pontiac. Basically I want to drive it , but dont want to have to wash it. fix it.ect ect. I'm getting lazyer the older I get!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006 - 05:13:29 AM »
If you really don`t enjoy driving it that much then it`s probably time to sell.I get tired of washing mine too but not tired of driving it 2-3k a year which is why there is still rubber on the quarters from last month!  ::)
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006 - 05:26:52 AM »
Not a bad idea.  Credit cards can kill you.  You only have one family.  You can get another Ebody in the future. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006 - 06:57:55 AM »
I know exactly how you feel. I sold my Roadrunner about a 2 years ago for the same reasons.Now that things are in order, I will say this after not having a car for a while I noticed that I missed having a muscle car and got another one. The new cars are nice but there is something about a classic.I also noticed the building of them is as much of the challenge as driving them and that is what is the fun in having them.There are lots of cars out there,hope everything works out for you.
Dave

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006 - 07:27:57 AM »
You didn't say how long you've had you Cuda or if it has played a significant role in your life. My Challenger has been a part of my life for 23 years.  Even without driving it much, selling it would be like having a death in the family.

Having said that, life goes on and things of importance change.  If a new Vette floats your boat, do it.  Besides, you've got to have priorities and providing for the family trumps almost everything else. If selling the Cuda solves the financial problems, sets up the college fund and provides you with enjoyment, then by all means.....
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006 - 08:05:02 AM »
Saw this on Moparts . . . sometimes you got to do what you got to do!  If Real Estate doesn't start to pick up around here, I may part with a car too.  :walkaway:   :clueless: (but I doubt it)

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006 - 08:45:06 AM »
Having just put 2 thru college(1 to go :22yikes: ) I hope they get some scholorships, grants etc, I could own 2 Hemi cuda's right now! (& mine both had partial grants/scholorships) not saying I regret any of it, but take a look at the #'s it aint cheep, 1st went to Fordam, second started at St Johns & transfered to rutgers, I'm Proud of both & thats worth way more than any car!
As for the cars, if your not enjoying it, reguardless of how "well off" you are, sell, for me it's the building, if someone offers me a ridiculas(just to get some of my money back) amount, I'd sign it over in  a heartbeat & use the money for building the second! Rich.

Offline 6pkrunner

• Evil Monkey in Runner
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006 - 09:03:16 AM »
When I built our house in 1985 I sold the only 1968 hemi 4 speed ragtop Coronet R/T made (the others were automatics) to pay off bills. While I never ever thought I'd sell it, I did. Paid off bills and although I still miss the old girl to this day, I have since gotten other Mopars that can be driven and not museum pieces. Its life and we all have to get through one way or another.
No one here can answer for you, you can solicit opinions, but in the end you have to do what you feel is right for you and yours.

Good luck in your decision.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006 - 09:04:53 AM by 6pkrunner »

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006 - 02:26:54 PM »
You are thinking the same thing that just about everybody thinks sooner or later. I too am finding more excuses not to drive them. I put about 75 miles this year on my 67 GTX and about 50 on my Challenger R/T. I am also considering selling one of them and buying a new Hemi Challenger when they come out. I have to see what they are going to actually look like first. Good luck with your decision!!!
Nobody will hate you...
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006 - 04:37:10 PM »
Do what you must, we won't hate you.  :grinno:

I don't understand how a few of you have made excuses not to drive your cars. I have over 1200 miles on mine this year, and some of that was in heavy, HEAVY traffic. Sure, I chew on nails as I drive, but driving this is my escape from reality.  :lol: I love looking at my car, but being behind the wheel is the real pleasure.  :burnout:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006 - 09:08:18 AM »
Barry, this might irrevocably alter the arranged marriage plans we have for our children!!  :smilielol: :smilielol: But seriously, all the advice given here is sound.  Do what is best for you and your family.  Another mopar person would be thrilled to have and enjoy your car. 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

kudakidd

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006 - 12:24:00 PM »
well seeing your ad on Moparts, I guess you've made your decision. :popcorn:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006 - 04:51:17 PM »
He made a post in the cars for sale section here.  :thumbsup: BEAUTIFUL car, but that's alot of $$$ for a later year E-Body. I hope you get your price Barry.  :cheers:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.