Author Topic: Project "Save My Butt" Barracuda Conv  (Read 17781 times)

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
Project "Save My Butt" Barracuda Conv
« on: October 08, 2006 - 01:14:37 PM »
As some may know I purchased two Ebody Convs' in Aug this year. One a 70 Challenger. The other a 70 Barracuda. The Challenger is a keeper (had one in HS). The Cuda I really didn't want, but it was a package deal. So, I had hoped to sell the Cuda and get some return on my investment. Didn't happen!

My plan now is to restore this cuda to a driver plus condition and try to get a reasonable price for it. Project cars seem to have hit a plataeu.

I will be posting progress as I go with amounts of what I have spent.

I have less than 5 months to make this work! (According to the bank)

Initial purchase of Barracuda $39,000.00. (boy was I dumb!)
New leather top with tinted glass $400.00

Started stripping the car down to get ready for the media blaster.
Piles of parts everywhere!!!

I do not plan to keep track of time. So, Total invested 10-8-06 is $39,400.00
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008 - 09:38:21 AM by fishn4cuda »
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Finoke

Re: Project "Save My Butt" Barracuda Conv
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006 - 01:52:59 PM »
Sounds like a great idea. Getting it to a decent driver status. I'll be watching because I'm restoring my 70 Barracuda. The Vert body looks real nice. I almost grabbed a 70 Barracuda Vert shell for 30k instead of my hard top. I probably would have done it if it wasn't missing so many parts. The Barracuda Verts are where the money seems to be at now!

Good luck with er  :cheers:

Tom

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006 - 02:57:36 PM »
Sounds like a great idea. Getting it to a decent driver status. I'll be watching because I'm restoring my 70 Barracuda. The Vert body looks real nice. I almost grabbed a 70 Barracuda Vert shell for 30k instead of my hard top. I probably would have done it if it wasn't missing so many parts. The Barracuda Verts are where the money seems to be at now!

Good luck with er  :cheers:

Tom
Thanks Tom. I need all the confidence building I can get right now. I would rather be putting time and money towards the Challenger. First things first, I guess.
 :working: Tony
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006 - 08:07:55 PM »
Wow that vert looks real solid.What are your plans for it?color?engine?And stay confident because you will prevail---------The Clown

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006 - 11:10:45 PM »
Fishn4cuda, best of luck with the Barracuda's restoration!!  It looks rather solid from the photos, so you should be able to come out ahead by getting it presentable. :2thumbs: :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006 - 05:22:26 AM »
Wow that vert looks real solid.What are your plans for it?color?engine?And stay confident because you will prevail---------The Clown
I plan to paint it one of the colors I have stashed in the paint cabinet. Curious yellow or FE5 red. At first I thought of going BB clone. Now I'm thinking, keep the 318 2bbl auto and let the next owner go through the hassles of BB'ing it right.
Clown, thanks for the positive comments.
Stay tuned this could get interesting.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006 - 09:06:42 AM »
Man the way I look at it is your just lucky to even have the chance to be apart of bringing that car back to life.  I have always wanted a Cuda Convt!!!  The prices are just way too insane!!!  Good luck with your project.  What color combo are you going to look into???

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006 - 11:12:09 AM »
Those pics bring back memories of my convert build-up!   You'll have some work ahead of you but hopefully it will be worth it!  Good luck!! 

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006 - 09:14:21 PM »
Good luck with the driver project. I can relate to you as I have had a chance to sell my 70 Cuda 340-4speed for $38,000. My problem is do I want to do another project and parts are higher than ever so it will cost me more now than it did when I bought my cuda 6 1/2 years ago. Keep us posted as I find this very interesting as labor can be a big thing which is why I did almost all the work on my Cuda myself.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006 - 05:43:40 PM »
Update: 10-16-06
After alot of GD its over the weekend, because of stupidity done in the qtrs by the previous owner, I broke down and bought new outer wheel houses and trunk floor exts'.
I'll be going to church this Sunday!! :angelwings:
Adding $327.50 to expenses.
Total Expenses 10-16-06: $39,727.00
Too PO'ed to show pics yet today. I will show in the next few days.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006 - 07:05:42 PM »
Lots of dough for a project!  However looks like ya got something good to work with... I have no idea what the market is like on them as a driver, but I seen people spend 15k for rough ones.  Good luck!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006 - 07:50:04 PM »
Lots of dough for a project!  However looks like ya got something good to work with... I have no idea what the market is like on them as a driver, but I seen people spend 15k for rough ones.  Good luck!

15K for a rough one is pretty good from what I have seen!  Send those ads my way if you come across many convertibles!   :cheers: 

I'm watching this buildup with curiosity on what the final cost will be!!  Is the 318 the original engine??  Did you decide on what color yet??  Cuda converts sure are cool!   :smokin:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006 - 07:54:42 PM by 4Cruizn »

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006 - 09:11:48 PM »
Oh yeah, cuda anything is crazy now a days!  Makes me wonder what my uncles 71 chally vert is worth, 318 car, but needs a full resto!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline sccarts1

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006 - 10:19:17 PM »
i don't have photos of the car i started with but clown's challenger should give you a good idea.
here's a few photos after 18 months (probably 1000 hrs) you get the idea. the body work is bad enough but
the finishing is the real killer especially if the car is missing parts or if it has been frankensteined. buying all those correct parts will break the bank. imo get a complete car. know the model before you buy it. if you're doing this for profit breaking even aint gonna cut it. ps the photos ar not loading

Offline sccarts1

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006 - 10:46:59 PM »
if i were you i would rotisserie the cuda shell. & sell it as a project starting point. then part out the rest of the stuff. you'll probably make out better. i believe the new entries by the big three will hurt the market for these cars. if i had a crystal ball i would have waited for one of the new cars. they will be just as fast. stop & steer better and be more comfortable for less $. i think that's the reason so many of the old cars are coming up for sale. up until recently the old muscle cars had no competition but now they will. i must admit that having one of these old units in great shape is definitely cool no matter where i go people just gawk & drool.