Author Topic: Oil in water on 440???  (Read 1244 times)

Offline MusclecarsDK

• musclecars.dk
Oil in water on 440???
« on: October 11, 2006 - 02:42:04 AM »
Hi,

I bought a car from US june this year. It's been on it's way to Denmark for a couple of months so I picked it up at the harbour last week. My plan was to drive it home (100 miles). I checked the water and oil level and drove. the idle was okay and it accelerated fine nut it stalled when I tried to accelerate slowly. I drove for 15 minuttes and made a stop at a gas station. almost all the water boiled out of the overflow hose. I waited till the engine cooled down. Filled it up with water again and moved on. after another half hour the temperature started to be a little over normal so I made another stop at a gas station and same thing happened. On my way home i made 4-5 stops where I had to let it cool down and fill it up again. Finally at home a friend of mine checked the oil dip stick and saw some white on it. We concluded that it must be a blow head gasket. I drained the water. It was white almost as milk and not just on top. I removed the heads and there's nothing that looks suspicious. I have a couple of people to look at the heads and the gaskets but none of them can say that it's blown. The oil looks very old so i drained the oil and there's no sign of water in the oil. It's very black and thick! All the combusion chambers look the same (black) and the pistons and cylinder walls looks fine.

Any suggestions what to do now? My only idea is to check that the heads are straight, remove the oil pan and clean it and off course change oil, filter and water.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006 - 02:44:01 AM by MusclecarsDK »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Oil in water on 440???
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006 - 10:44:22 AM »
check the heads & block for cracks

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006 - 02:29:51 AM »
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline oldkimmer

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006 - 10:24:19 AM »
U could have a warped head. If it is milky in the rad I would think they added bars leak or some other kind of sealer to stop a leak.
The beast has been unleashed........Thems the hazzards..........Unleash the beast......

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006 - 07:52:12 PM »
If it was running hot, it could be something as stupid as no fan shroud, a bad fan clutch, or thermostat or radiator. If the lower hose was replaced, and one with no spring was installed, then the water pump could be collapsing the lower hose off idle. I'm sure it didnt drop 3 gallons of coolant out the overflow hose. So I would look over any and all of those ideas first. If it didnt mix oil and water, and wasnt smoking like it was burning coolant, I doubt you'll find cracks.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006 - 08:04:30 PM »
Could be more then 1 problem.like what was said. fan clutch, shroud plugged, radiator. Also no water in oil? Did you check the trans fluid? Cooler is in radiator.

Offline dlrogers

• 1971 Challenger 383
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006 - 01:55:17 AM »
Might pay to check the valve stem / seats as well. I'm not sure how close they are to water jacket but I've been fooled by a crack there before!
Best of luck
 :cheers:
Bay of Islands, New Zealand

Offline MusclecarsDK

• musclecars.dk
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006 - 03:36:05 AM »
Thanks for all your replies!

I took the heads to the shop and they said that they was pretty warped. The exhaust valves was bad too. He could see that there had been a leak between 2 cylinders. Now they're straight with new exhaust valves. I have cleaned all i could with the heads off and also removed the oil pan to clean that. I flushed the radiator and bought a new thermostat. I have alomst assemblied the engine again. I hope i have it done in a couple of days to start it up. Hopefully it will run fine this time. My plan is to start it up and go for a spin around the block and then change the oil and filter again so i can get some of that old oil out of the system.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006 - 12:23:04 PM »
sounds good to me  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

daves70

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006 - 06:18:44 PM »