High school reunion and hot rod shop

Author Topic: High school reunion and hot rod shop  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Confederate Cuda

High school reunion and hot rod shop
« on: October 11, 2006 - 07:35:54 PM »
So I went back home to Tennessee this past weekend for my 20 year high school reunion :blah: :blah: :blah:. I ran into an old friend that told me that he was working for his brother and that they had a hot rod shop and that I should stop by while I was in town. I thought, ok...what kind of shop is going to be in a little 5000 person town in Tennessee but had some time on Monday before I had to leave for the airport so I thought why not. I went in to the show room and thought this is nice but then went into the first room of the shop and could not believe my eyes. Some of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen. All very custom stuff and mostly 30's -50's era. Then I went into the back room and a 69 Chev SS and a 70 Cuda. Of course I was asking a ton of questions about the Cuda. It had a narrowed Viper rearend and a totally custom chasis. He is building it for a pro football player, I can't remember his name but he plays for the Bears. The car was in the begining of restoration but almost nothing was untouched. They are going to make the front grill like a charger with hidden headlights  :puke:. But then came the part I could not believe. I had just made the assumption that the car was in bad shape before they started but then learned that it was a number matching motor and tranny 70 340 4-speed. I saw a before picture and it could have been a show car.  You guys know that I don't mind building them like you want but I could have never done that to a numbers car.  :stomp: I asked about the motor and tranny but he had already sold it on e-gag. Now I guess I know what you guys mean about the high dollar guys screwing up the hobby. I could not take any pictures because of the high profile customers and they had a couple of cars that are going to Sema.  Here is the link to my buddys shop. He does great work but I just wish he had not cut up that Cuda. http://www.legenshotrod.com/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006 - 07:40:38 PM by Confederate Cuda »

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
Re: High school reunion and hot rod shop
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006 - 07:53:10 PM »
R.I.P Cuda.  I agree, I don't like changing them so much that they can't be put back unless it is a 318 or 6 cyl. car.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006 - 08:08:03 PM »
That is a bad thing about this hobby. I would never take a matching numbers 340 4-speed 70 Cuda and modify it this much. Maybe a  matching numbers 6-cylinder or 318 Barracuda.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

sleepychallenger

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006 - 08:14:05 PM »
 :villagers: take a basket case for somethning like that. not a matching numbers show car. and people wonder why these original cars are going up in value. Idiots like that ruin the originals.  :villagers:

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006 - 10:06:49 PM »
 :iagree: There are plenty of project cars out there but to break up a numbers matching car is just wrong
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006 - 10:10:01 PM »
Like tearing a newborn away from it's momma.   :walkaway:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006 - 10:23:03 PM »
Is that the car that the builder was selling off the parts here several months ago?
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006 - 10:38:13 PM »
So my triple green 318 challenger would be ok to do some custom work :clueless:  I'm not into cutting up solid cars no matter what they were, minitubbing a car before was bad enough, regretted doing that! 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006 - 01:04:36 AM »
I have a buddy that works at a restomod kinda shop and this is exactly what their customers are looking for, a nice complete car that they can modify. Doesn't really matter what it was before (I know it sounds crazy) because it will cost less in the long run to modify a complete unmolested car than a basket case - not my idea but this is what I was told by a couple of the guys there. It's a different mindset that's for sure.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006 - 02:16:01 AM »
Now I guess I know what you guys mean about the high dollar guys screwing up the hobby.
:iagree:
The bad thing is that if they have the money (sports stars, music stars, movie stars), no one can stop them.  :banghead:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

cudahob

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006 - 05:09:19 AM »
I believe this was the car, but it is an automatic. We had a thread going about it, and the owner of the shop chimed in. I asked for the interior items and such.

It was on ebay, and from Tenn. This was a number car and they did sell the engine and trans on ebay. It is being cut up for a wealth owner, and made into a hotrod.

If there are two 340 cars cut up in Tennessee I'd be shocked.  :22yikes:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006 - 05:20:22 AM by cudahob »

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006 - 06:12:35 AM »
I wonder if it's a generation thing. I personally have no problem making some modifications to my car. But how can you just discard number matching  motor and drive train like that? If you have money like that just find a shell and do what ever you want to it . If you go nuts on a shell then there is really no loss because odds are the car would have been eventually destroyed anyways. Just adding my 2 cents.
1974 Barracuda

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006 - 08:30:49 AM »
I think they can do anything they want to it.  None of my business.
Of course I don't have to like it when it shows up at a car show...

(maybe I would but I doubt it)

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006 - 10:04:38 AM »
I would have to put more blame on the person having the car built than the builder. The builder has a business to maintain and turning down work because of ethics doesn't put money in the bank, and could hurt business on down the road if he got a reputation for turning away customers. As for the car owner, he's just spending stupid money!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006 - 11:31:32 AM »
Don't get me wrong. I am not placing blame on anyone certainly not the builder and not the car owner for that matter. The builder is there to make a customer happy and to feed his family and if I were in his shoes I would have been happy to take this guys money. I am just saying that if it were my car it would be hard for me to cut it up because it was a numbers matching car. That being said, I am in the process of building a custom 73 Cuda but it was not a numbers matching car. I also think that we can't lose site of the fact that it is just a car and as long as the owner gets some enjoyment out of it then that is all that matters. Just because it is not my cup of tea does not make it "wrong". If it turns out like everything else in Steve's shop I am sure it will be beautiful when it is finished. To each thier own.  :cheers: