Author Topic: My 70 challenger project  (Read 9529 times)

Offline SilverChally

Re: My 70 challenger project
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006 - 12:18:15 AM »
Decided to fix a few spots on the ps quarter tonight and the little bubbles were holes all over!  As much as I weanted to keep the original, having a repop ps sitting here, I went ahead and cut it off.  Not what I had plan, will post some new pics by Monday, didn;t do too much the past few days, getting a little burnt out.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006 - 01:56:02 AM »
No new pics, but finally about done fixing the body other than a repop trunk, deck filler pan, and front floor pan(s)... might have to wait til I free up some funds.  Hoping to blast it in the next week, but the mask is going to0 fog up like crazy in this cold air :stomp:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006 - 06:14:10 AM »
Good work man.  Reminds me of when I was installing quarters on my car.
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006 - 10:56:30 AM »
Wish I had the full ones like you use, but got a good deal on these close enough to pickup.  Thanks :cheers:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006 - 01:41:10 PM »
Sand blasted it over the weekend, used a scotch-brite pad on the quarters and got it epoxied today... nice to have warmer weather this time of year!  Got lots of patching to do, blasting finds them all! 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006 - 01:50:23 PM »
Are you still picking sand out of your ears?? :roflsmiley:  It really looks pretty good after blasting. :clapping:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006 - 02:11:38 PM »
I wear contacts and somehow I manage to get sand in my eyes still... I cover up pretty good, but theres no stopping sand!  I blasted the whole underside also, but I'm going to use a por-1r style paint, but need to get the floors pans and trunk in first.  I'm making progress, but sure feels like 2 steps foward, one back with new stuff I find that needs fixed.  Roof is rusty yet too, didnt want to blast it and have it all warped, so slow progress there.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006 - 03:30:43 PM »
WOWWWWWWWWW LOOKS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice rotissrie~ looks like you have solid rails and cowl!
keep it up man, all these pics and progress help me stay motivated working on my cuda  :bigsmile:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006 - 03:50:34 PM »
SWEEET!!   :clapping:

Gotta love the weather in Western Pa. right now that you can bring your car outside. It won't continue.  :stomp:

Mike    :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006 - 06:06:04 PM »
Nice progress  :thumbsup: .........and YES it is progress, though you may seem like your taking a few steps back now, and again. Thanks for sharing the pics with us, and best of luck  :cheers:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006 - 06:31:30 PM »
Thats a lotta work, wish i had a blaster, did mine by hand, but at least your near the end of the nasty little surprises as you clean it up, Nice work! Rich.

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2006 - 07:12:01 PM »
Wow, very cool.  Wish I had a sand blaster and rotisserie...   :drool:

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006 - 01:08:57 AM »
Front rails are really nice, just the very front of the ds top had a couple small holes.  It was wrecked at some point, it was straightened, but I replaced about a 4x4 section behind the ds wheel area.  The rear rails did need work, but nothing major and were solid in the rear to the cm which was a good sight when your used to b-bodys :roflsmiley:  The cowl is pieced together from two, the back/window area is from a 74 cuda I had which is what I used for the a-pillars and top opening. 

Its a whirley jog pro model rotisserre, got it at the nats in Indy back in 94 maybe?  Used only once before this one, but sure make things easier.  Seeing it in epoxy was a big step, I got some metal filler, they claim its the next best thing to led and used it for the pinholes tonight.  I should have removed the cowl completely, but got the inside por-15'd tonight also, pretty much poured it in the ends and brushed and turned the rotisserre to get it spread out.  This car couldn't have been done right without blasting, just too much rust here and there, as solid as it may look in some pics. 

74chall I'm just trying my best to keep up with you and farmboy :cheers:  I love building these cars and seeing pics of them in the process.  That and I couldn't afford em if I had to buy them done.

70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2006 - 06:32:42 AM »
The sandblasted and painted surface looks just awesome!  :ylsuper:

Can't wait for the spring to come and hopefully get mine blasted and painted.

Keep up the good work! There is no such thing as burnout in mopar fever!
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2006 - 07:15:53 AM »
Looks good.  Just remember to thoroughly clean out the rails, especially the front.  There are gusset plates inside them at each end of the shock tower which hold sand very nicely.  My car was sandblasted in '89 and never saw water except for a bath, yet the DS front frame rusted completely through from the inside-out between the K-member attachment points because sand was left inside and held moisture.  NOT a fun discovery this summer.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger