Author Topic: Small Block Timing Chain Tensioner  (Read 3621 times)

Offline vinb

• Resident
Re: Small Block Timing Chain Tensioner
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006 - 10:38:27 AM »
I installed a new cam & lifters and that tensioner. The chain was not new but it was a cloyes double roller in good shape with little miles. I thought that the tensioner would be a good idea to keep the timing steady. I threw it in the garbage and installed another new cam & lifters , which I was going to do anyway.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006 - 10:52:46 AM »
Ok.
Well I hope mine works well because I am not taking the engine out unless I have major problems.  I try to drive it aleast one a week and everything is good so far.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006 - 02:18:26 PM »
I've only used them twice. No probelms with them, and every chain does strecht..All the tensioner does is take up the slack. It adds less "load" to the cam bearings than a mechanical fuel pump eccentric does. I'd say there's a good cahnce the first cam wiped the bearings because they werent clearanced properly. It's VERY common to have cam bearings installed and be too tight. I have yet to not need any trimming to make the cam turn properly. Big or small block.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006 - 02:23:17 PM »
I've only used them twice. No probelms with them, and every chain does strecht..All the tensioner does is take up the slack. It adds less "load" to the cam bearings than a mechanical fuel pump eccentric does. I'd say there's a good cahnce the first cam wiped the bearings because they werent clearanced properly. It's VERY common to have cam bearings installed and be too tight. I have yet to not need any trimming to make the cam turn properly. Big or small block.

Now that you mention it, I have a mechanical fuel pump and you do make a good point about the eccentric. I will hope for the best.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006 - 03:11:15 PM »
Hi Moper, The original cam  #1 was in the engine for quite sometime and the bearings looked fine after I took that one out. I changed the cam #2 and I don't think there was a clearance problem, but that's when I installed the tensioner and it was very tight. That's when it was a problem after taking that cam #2 out to try a different one (duration) that I seen the three center cam bearings wiped out. I changed the cam bearings and installed cam #3 (did I lose you yet?) without the tensioner and put approx. 2,400 miles on it , everything looks good. So now I'll mess with the carb and gears to get it back into the low 13's again. Anyway it looked good but like someone said before, never needed the tensioner in a race engine so I don't need it in a street one. See ya.......

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006 - 01:01:24 PM »
Well, a race engine needs it less than a  street car, due to milage and maintenance intervals. My point was, I think it was more the cam swap from #1 to #2, that perhaps the bearings were fit to #1, and just werent for #2. Think of brake pads, when a caliper is a little loose in the mount. The pad wears a little edge onto it. Now, change the rotor. The new rotor may hit and break off the lip, causing strange wear. Except on cam bearings, the particles get moved around and can get overheated and come apart. I caused this same episode years ago on a 383 I was swapping a new cam into. I found metal in the oil, and pulled it. The glitter was what was left from my cam bearings outer layer. That exact tensioner came in 3.9L V 6s  and various V8s for years from the factory. That's the exact same part, just with an MP number on it, and it only takes up the slack in the "non-tensioned" side of the chain, so the timing doesnt wander around as the engine's original timing chain wears. That being said, like before, I've only used two, over a total of about 9 small block builds in the past couple years.  :clueless:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006 - 01:16:56 PM »
VERY nice looking engine vinb! :2thumbs:
After that report, I have never used a chain tensioner , don't think I am going to start now. I think if you go with a high quality timing chain set you don't need it.

I pulled my mechanical fuel pump for a block off plate a couple months ago. had about 8,000miles or so (daily driven, pretty hard, track time) and my Summit chain was as tight as it was when it went it.  :2thumbs:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006 - 06:27:25 PM »
Hey Moper,  You could be right, but it did spin nice and smooth when I installed  (#2) that one. #3 is fine so I'll see what else I can screw up ...By the way I'm looking for a good T-Q throttle plate or complete carb with the electric choke. If you know of any let me know..Thanks ......