Author Topic: Good Diff Choice  (Read 2518 times)

Offline cuda-cable

• MOPAR or no car
Good Diff Choice
« on: October 12, 2006 - 08:58:47 PM »
running 340/4 speed ......whats  a good  choice  for 'suregrip' unit  and  I plan to use a 3:55  gear set. Spoke  to Randy's Ring/pinion.......can  send  me a complete unit  with a "auborn gear' type  unit  for about $1100...is this a good price?  Also  is there a source  in Canada  anybody is aware of?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Good Diff Choice
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006 - 10:30:39 PM »

Auborn gears are noisy, we never got around to running it in and feeling it but it was super loud. Randy's (IMO) are one of the best professional groups around, we used their Yukon gear set and whoa! quiet and smooth.

We used all the major brands too.......if you're after strip performance though these gear sets maybe a little weak.
I'd say anything up to 450hp is fine anything after that may begin to eat the gear set. lol

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006 - 10:38:09 PM »
Auburn is just a cone style sure grip  , clutch or torson are better but much harder to get seeing as they are the prefered design .
1100 is reasonable for a complete center section though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006 - 10:51:36 PM »

Maybe I'm confused, I think I am....Auburn is the SG, yes? Not the actual gear set? I must have Auburn SG with Yukon. lol Forget my last post.....I'm getting confused with the likes of Motive or something.

:blah: :banghead:

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006 - 01:51:37 PM »
RANDY"S CUST SERVICE SUCKS!!!!!!   Watch out!!!!
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006 - 02:33:22 PM »
Vintage 489 case with new gears, new Power-lock clutch type sure-grip, new bearings, new 7290 U-bolt yoke, new billet pinion bearing spacer kit. Completely assembled with your choice of 3.55, 3.73 or 3.91 gears - $950.00

Same as above only built with new, nodular iron 489 case and billet steel bearing adjusters - Add $100.00

http://members.aol.com/doctordiff/8.75.html

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006 - 05:10:34 PM »
RANDY"S CUST SERVICE SUCKS!!!!!!   Watch out!!!!

Really?  :-\ I had really, really good service from them. One of the better dealings I've had during my restorations.

I guess everyone has a bad then then, huh.....  :misbehaving:

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006 - 05:34:03 PM »
I'm glad you had good luck with them NZ, I got no help at all. :swear: I'll buy elsewhere next time.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline cuda-cable

• MOPAR or no car
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006 - 11:03:01 AM »
Plum Crazy,  have  you  dealt  with  Dr Diff before......is  a Power Lock  then  as I  understand it  'rebuildable'  as  opposed to the Auburn 'cone' style units.....will it  swap  straight  into  my  case  as is it still 30 spline  axles? .......thx.....dk

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006 - 12:51:54 PM »
Dr Diff is Cass Eslick. Very good guy to deal with. I've done several 8 3/4 chucks using his parts. The last one I did, top dollar was $1300. But that was using a True Trac, which is a $550 sure grip unit. It will never wear out, so that's why the extra $$. I wouldnt use Auburns anymore. They are simply a new cone style grip, and subject to the same wear out tendency. Ad far as Randy's goes, I know of 3 that were used. I did one swap, and it's fine after 4 years, but he rarely drives the car, and never races it. The other two both were reduced to one wheel peelers after 1 summer of cruising and about 5 trips to the drag strip. Any 8 3/4 gears will hold well beyond 450 hp. Noisey gears are usually not the result of the gear manufacturer, but the installer. Regardless of ratio. Bad gears are not impossible, but very rare.

kudakidd

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006 - 03:49:21 PM »
Try Reider Racing for prices too

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006 - 03:57:06 AM »
Dr Diff is Cass Eslick. Very good guy to deal with. I've done several 8 3/4 chucks using his parts. The last one I did, top dollar was $1300. But that was using a True Trac, which is a $550 sure grip unit. It will never wear out, so that's why the extra $$.  I wouldnt use Auburns anymore. They are simply a new cone style grip, and subject to the same wear out tendency. Ad far as Randy's goes, I know of 3 that were used. I did one swap, and it's fine after 4 years, but he rarely drives the car, and never races it. The other two both were reduced to one wheel peelers after 1 summer of cruising and about 5 trips to the drag strip. Any 8 3/4 gears will hold well beyond 450 hp. Noisey gears are usually not the result of the gear manufacturer, but the installer. Regardless of ratio. Bad gears are not impossible, but very rare.

I plan on rebuilding my 8 3/4, what would you recommend to put inside?
It's for street use, no racing other than the occasional red light drag race.
For a engine with output around 450-550 hp (Still looking around for a engine).
Using a 4.10 gear set, and a GV unit to come.

A driveshaft loop will probably be a wise investment, regardless of axle,
but will a stock axle take this beating?

Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006 - 06:27:52 AM »
Sure Grips are funny. Becuase they have to slip around corners, some wear is expected and designed in. Knowing that, I would suggest for every build use the best SG you can afford. I consider the old clutch type SG to be the least expensive base model but figure on rebuilding the clutch unit. The Auburn setup is a cone type. That is a disposable center section. The steel on steel wear surfaces slide very time you corner. And hard cornering will result in much faster wear. All the particles of steel stay in the oil, and so they get run accross the gear faces too, and all thru the bearings. ONce they slip the first time, the clock is ticking on them. I will run them if I'm told to, but They are designed for so much wear, then throw them away. The True Tracs have no such wear. They hold like a locker, but slide very smoothly in turns. It is the best street/strip limited slip out there. And between $1-200 more than everything else. As far as cost, the last re-gear I did was on a factory tight (low miles, in good shape) cone type. The ring and pinion, bearing kit, new ring gear bolts, and oil/gasket came to just shy of $400. I added a new yoke with Dana 60 style U bolts, that was another $80. All parts from Dr Diff, and with my labor after assembly and detailing came to just shy of $700. Randy is charging you for the new Auburn, so with that, it would have been $1080. But he gets $1300 plus core and freight. You could have a local shop buildit with the True Trac for less $$, and have a place to bring it if there is an issue. Randy's is an easy call, but a little high for what you get IMO. But that's just my opinion. Every driver and situation can be different. I want to know once a job has been done, I will only see that customer for another job..Not because something wore out or broke prematurely. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006 - 03:25:04 PM »
I can supply the auburn type from within Canaduh if needed , I can also get the gear sets but you have to get them installed locally

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006 - 05:56:51 PM »
I can supply the auburn type from within Canaduh if needed , I can also get the gear sets but you have to get them installed locally

Thank you very much for offering to help out CP!
I opt for a True Trac, but this is much appreciated!  :)
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***