Author Topic: Work has begun...Topcat  (Read 260630 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Work has bugun
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2007 - 09:41:09 PM »
This week end I welded in 2 sides of the frame rail connectors. The welding was done in 1 inch increments followed with a blast of air to cool off the welds. The frame rail connectors act like a giant heat sink so the floor pans never threatened to begin heat warpage.

After the weld up, I took the tools in the pictures to smooth out the welds to contour along the edges. I also used 2" and 3" rolocs to feather the edges where the welds begin after the other tools were used.  I don't have a final result picture of how it came out yet. But I'm pretty happy how its coming along so far. Tedious work I might add.

I had a few burn thrus occur on the paassenger floor area.
Nothing major that couldn't get fixed.

20mb image hosting

The weather for working outside is perfect right now for this.
60-70 deggrees all day. I call it Cuda work weather.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014 - 10:46:05 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2007 - 05:08:03 AM »
Looking great! Sorry about the pics I was supposed to take from the cardboard templates I did. It's been a crazy year and I kinda forgot them. Seems like you got the connectors trimmed and right where they belong. Trimming the welds on frame connectors must have been a long long work? I decided to leave the welds visible and save some time. After paint it looks pretty natural. Keep it going  :bananasmi
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2007 - 07:43:14 AM »
Looking good Mike, you'll have yours done before mine the rate you are going and the rate I'm not going. Keep up the good work, glad to see it coming together, nice job on the rails.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2007 - 10:15:52 AM »
I welded them on using 6 jack stands. before flippping it over to do the rest. But here are some observations from another mopar guy.

We get asked the question about installing the frame connectors with and without the weight of the car in place a lot. There is no doubt that a unibody will sag a bit when you hang all the parts on it (doors, glass, engine, trans, rear etc.). This seems to be more of an issue for getting the panel gaps correct i.e. if you hang the doors & fenders, then install the entire front end, K-frame, engine & trans, the door/fender gap will tend to tighten at the bottom from the unibody sag - just a little, not much. One of the by products of adding sub frame connectors is you will make the unibody stronger and help eliminate some of the sag.

In our shop we install the frame connectors all the time with cars on one of our rotisserie's. It is so much easier to work with them NOT upside down! If there is any concern about a unibody not being strong, we tack weld the connectors into position with the car on the ground (did this on the '70 Superbird that was totally a together running/driving car when we installed the connectors!) After tack welding (a lot!) we put the bird in the air and did the finish welding upside down. Not as much fun, I can tell you!

So, if the car is a bare unibody shell, I do not see any reason the frame connectors cannot be installed with the car upside down. If you think the structure of the unibody has been compromised (lots of rust, quarters currently removed, frame rotted off etc.) then some temporary bracing should be added. We routinely use door braces on convertibles to keep the unibody from flexing.

It has been our experience that regular cars (with a roof) that are structurally sound can be rotated upside down and have frame connectors installed without any resulting issues during re-assembly. Same is true for convertibles, we just add the door bar to add the structure back in.

As an extra precaution, you could weld in some temporary braces inside the car to hold the unibody in alignment while the car is rotated. We did this on a convertible recently when we had to remove the A-pillar to rebuild it. We welded braces to the windshield header to be sure it did not move at all during the surgery.

One of the fellows in our shop is working on his 69 Coronet R/T and the rear frame was so rotted, he added extra braces to hold the car together while on the rotisserie.

So, the shorter answers is; Yes, you can rotate a sound unibody upside down and weld in the frame connectors without creating a problem. And if you have concerns about your unibody twisting, tack weld the connectors into place before rolling the unibody upside down for the final welding.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2007 - 06:11:12 PM »
Nice progress Topcat, i hope i can get their someday.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2007 - 09:36:06 PM »
You're doing great work Mike :worshippy :thumbsup:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2007 - 10:33:12 PM »
A few more...

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014 - 10:29:57 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2007 - 08:57:19 PM »
Looking good, looking good  :2thumbs:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2007 - 09:13:28 PM »
Looking good   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2007 - 11:16:43 AM »
Thanks,

I can only work week ends on it so bear with me if it seems like I am in slow motion on the progress.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2007 - 09:53:44 PM »
Slow motion????????? looks like your movin pretty good, been on mine 5 or 6 years, been so long I can't remember exactly when i started! :dunno: just keep  :working: sometimes it seems like your flyin & then others like nothings gettin done, but somehow it does & then things start coming together & it looks a little more like a car!  :faint: Rich.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2007 - 09:25:55 AM »
In consideration to my neghbors on a holiday, I didn't do any power tools yesterday. So I scaped under coating off. 3 wheel wells done and 1 left. The upper half is done now.

Theres a few small dents to work out inside the trans hump. I think they were from when the drive shaft fell off going 70 mph on the freeway in San Diego with an 18 wheeler up my arse 50 feet behind me. I won't forget those dents. I turned white as a ghost from that episode.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014 - 10:24:12 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2007 - 10:39:17 AM »
Smooth move TC  ... Have a Merry Christmas yourself   
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear