Author Topic: Work has begun...Topcat  (Read 260650 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Work has bugun
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2007 - 08:52:59 AM »
Yesterday, was my official first attempt of repairing sheetmetal on my car. How'd I do? Please critique me to make be a better welder if you see anything I should do different. I did take my time and let the welds cool each time. Worked alternately from one side and opposite weld areas.

I haven't welded in the dutchman panel yet because I fear that the left quarter has been put on hanging too low. Whoever put it on, I suspect left too much gap between where the quarter meets the dutchman panel.

I'll have to do a mock up now in order to determine how much it is off.   :banghead:
I also grinded off some superficial rust up under areas and applied Rust Bullet. I have decided that sand blasting in the trunk area will put sand in all the Nooks and Crannies and may never come out. Sand in Paint isn't good. Car isn't that rusty so why bother.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014 - 08:10:10 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2007 - 09:02:22 AM »
One thing you can do to get better welds is to make sure the metal is as clean as possible.  That means clean of paint (unless it is weldable primer), rust, and oils.  It is a pain in the butt, but really makes a huge difference.  Otherwise you look like you are doing a pretty good job.  :thumbsup:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2007 - 08:52:49 PM »
Today I did a mock up of the left side because of the retard who put the quarter on before me. Began tacking in the dutchman too. Then it began to rain and I closed up for the day in the afternoon.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014 - 01:26:11 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:11:33 PM »
Yesterday, was my official first attempt of repairing sheetmetal on my car. How'd I do? Please critique me to make be a better welder if you see anything I should do different. I did take my time and let the welds cool each time. Worked alternately from one side and opposite weld areas.
    I haven't welded in the dutchman panel yet because I fear that the left quarter has been put on hanging too low. Whoever put it on, I suspect left too much gap between where the quarter meets the dutchman panel. I'll have to do a mock up now in order to determine how much it is off.  :banghead: I also grinded off some superficial rust up under areas and applied Rust Bullet. I have decided that sand blasting in the trunk area will put sand in all the Nooks and Crannies and may never come out. Sand in Paint isn't good. Car isn't that rusty so why bother.

Top cat looks like your burning though in some places. could be b/c the metal is thin or the heat is too high. Keep a wet sponge next to you so when you tack weld you can cool it then go to the opposite side to keep the heat from warping and making it easier to burn through the metal. I learned the same way you are,experience and messing up. On a part like your doing there with the dutchmen panel your going to have to weld,the grind to shape and probably reweld some spots again. The more you do the better you will get! Boy,that car is going to look great!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:16:55 PM »
Thank you for your help 74 Chall. Right now, I could use some help getting this welding figured out.   :clueless:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:25:07 PM »
TC is that a miller 180 or 175? I just got my 180. i use 30 gauge wire with 75/25 argon mix.  Theres a chart under the side door which tell you what settings to put the welder on for the thickness metal and size wire your using.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:43:02 PM »
Its a Miller 175. I'm using the .24 solid wire copper coated right now. Your right, I need to get more familiar with the chart next time I work on it.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014 - 01:13:55 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2007 - 06:49:17 AM »
I'd get rid of the flux core and go with an argon mix gas. Much better welds.   :2cents:

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2007 - 07:57:22 AM »
Not a pro by any means here, but I thought the copper looking wire was for gas & the steel looking wire was flux core(no gas) ?
A friend borrowed my mig (his had no gas setup) & said it's a world of difference!(better that is for welding skins)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2007 - 08:22:01 AM »
The wire is not a flux core. It's the wire you get when you buy the welder. Hobart wire.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2007 - 09:30:07 AM »
The wire is not a flux core. It's the wire you get when you buy the welder. Hobart wire.
Then i guess you are using an argon gas mix??

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2007 - 09:33:25 AM »
Then i guess you are using an argon gas mix??

Yes I am.  :grinyes:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2007 - 11:12:54 PM »
Lookin' good T.C.  :2thumbs:

Hey..did those partial car cover/sun shades ever become available for a '70 Chally?
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007 - 11:40:46 AM »

Sometimes at work I weld, but that's not a good thing!(Electrician)  Can you say BOOOOOOOM! ROFL Smiley

Tom

was that a transformer blowing up ???????????????????????? :smilielol:
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2007 - 06:01:22 PM »
My rotisserie showed up. Pics comin.  :woohoo:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014 - 01:11:13 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.