Author Topic: Work has begun...Topcat  (Read 260589 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

Re: Work has begun...Topcat
« Reply #330 on: August 06, 2010 - 10:46:43 PM »
PPG is the way to go. Yes, more expensive. But worth it in the long run. As far as a single stage or a base clear set up, I prefer single stage, especially for solid colors. Reason being its just so much easier to deal with repairs down the road, if you get a scratch you can just touch it up and color sand it flat. Definitely not as easy to do that with clear coat, especially if you have to do anything beyond a small scratch (like repainting a partial panel).

Now, I did say solid colors. If you go with a metallic paint (like B5), you really can't do those kinds of repairs anyway. They'll show up even after the repair because of the metal flake in the paint (nearly impossible to match), so going with a clear might be a better bet since the clears tend to have a harder finish than the single stage paints, and you already can't do any kind of spot repair without repainting an entire panel.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #331 on: August 06, 2010 - 11:10:34 PM »
Not that I would but did the factory paint metallic paints single stage? Or were they base/clear paints like today?

I know that the ballpark for 2 gallons of base and then 2 gallons of PPG clear could run me at least a grand or more. That doesn't even count in paying the painter and pre prep work etc.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #332 on: August 07, 2010 - 03:11:04 AM »
Not that I would but did the factory paint metallic paints single stage? Or were they base/clear paints like today?

No clear coats were used back then, factory paint would have been single stage. I believe that the first factory clear coats started in the mid-eighties.

You don't have to use a clear if you go with a metallic, I just mention it because most of the benefits of NOT having a clear coat are negated by having a metallic paint job. IMO the clear coats just make life difficult if you need to make repairs later, especially for a small area. But the metallic paints are all but impossible to match/blend, so you're already in the same boat. But that still doesn't mean you need to put a clear coat on it.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #333 on: August 07, 2010 - 03:35:11 PM »

I know that the ballpark for 2 gallons of base and then 2 gallons of PPG clear could run me at least a grand or more. That doesn't even count in paying the painter and pre prep work etc.
I paid just under $800 for a gallon of base and a gallon of clear, PPG's best.    :faint:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #334 on: August 08, 2010 - 09:28:49 PM »
Here's where I'm at right now. Doing the right front fender. It was a tough call on whether to buy a re pop or save it. So I decided to do bodywork on it. A little wavy just under the louvers but nothing serious. It'll be alright I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uFYY_YCHtM

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014 - 05:27:31 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #335 on: August 09, 2010 - 10:06:41 AM »
WoW cool lil' vid.  I can see what you mean.  Might save it with some long blocking. We've had really good results with taping the belt line off each way. 50/50. Even 2-3 passes. Makes it crispy.  Nice little spot you got there!   We are really thinking about going single-stage for the black.Much easier to fix/play with later. One less chance for dirt in it. Keep up the good work dude!    :smokin:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #336 on: August 09, 2010 - 10:32:18 AM »
I paid just under $800 for a gallon of base and a gallon of clear, PPG's best.    :faint:

Tony Miller used Base/Clear on my cuda, and I tell you it SHINES and the color is DEEP!  You can put a ruler up to the paint and see all the way from 1-12!  Its redicliously nice!  Im sure other factors are involved and Im sure you will be happy with what you chose.  I mean you will have a resto'd hemicuda!

Don 
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #337 on: August 21, 2010 - 11:46:15 PM »
Mike,
Great to see the progress coming along!  The engine looks GREAT! 

Sean

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #338 on: August 23, 2010 - 12:06:19 PM »
very nice hemi you have there !! :2thumbs:
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #339 on: September 18, 2010 - 11:11:42 PM »
Put in a solid 8-9 hours on the body today. RF fender has been giving me Hell the last few weeks. When I started on the bodyline, I was going fender rear edge to front chasing. I should've sanded front to back to get the body line true'd. So today I did that and it made a major improvement in getting it true'd. Live and learn as they say.

Started doing the first primer block today underneath; 120 grit. Switch to 180 next.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014 - 05:13:25 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline challenger500

« Reply #340 on: September 19, 2010 - 02:50:35 AM »
Man, no Pinks all out today?!?!?!?
You have to rest sometimes in order to get that wrist some relax.. have a couple of beers and enjoy the variety of cars, jet funny car, nostalgia Fuel funny car etc.. Great show btw  :cheers:
Dementia already from the year...mmmm ???

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #341 on: September 20, 2010 - 11:26:15 AM »
Mike, Looking great.  :2thumbs:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #342 on: November 06, 2010 - 10:47:51 PM »
Getting closer.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014 - 05:09:37 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #343 on: November 07, 2010 - 12:22:58 AM »
Looks like a great set-up for working on the car.  I hate all of you who have hospitable weather right now.  It's starting to get ugly here.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #344 on: November 07, 2010 - 12:54:11 AM »
 :woo: :clapping:  That's gonna be sweet!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0