Author Topic: Work has begun...Topcat  (Read 260567 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Work has begun...Topcat
« Reply #420 on: April 17, 2011 - 08:00:56 PM »
Great talking to you today Mike. Love your car!! Is the blue sprayed in the trunk B2 blue?Looks like a awesome color. Looks like you will be the only one around in that shade. John

Yes it is John. Good talking with you too.

looking good there Mike  :2thumbs:    just a side note...  after blocking I raised the back of the door a 2-3 mm`s.  when all parts are back in the door it will have the correct height and you won`t damage paint around the hinge bolts from adjusting.
looking forward to see the car in color.... did you decide on the color yet?

Dutch, I was thinking of putting 3 bricks in each door to simulate the inner parts weight. Do you think that as a viable option then adjust?

As far as what color...probably just keep going forward with the B2. However color choice is the hardest thing of all after doing bodywork.

Here's a grocery list for PPG Deltron:
Base coat 2.5 gallons $905.25
Reducer 3 gallons $142.65
Clear 3 gallons $646.00
Hardener 3 qts $291.60
Total: $1986 plus tax = $2174
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #421 on: April 18, 2011 - 06:03:39 AM »
sounds like a plan to me...
great choice... B2   :bigshades:
*** Bart ***

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #422 on: April 18, 2011 - 03:34:33 PM »
Mike,
When you hung the door for fitting, did you put in the latch and striker?  If so, would loading the door with bricks be unnecessary since the door will always align with the striker?

Cheers,
Sean 

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #423 on: April 18, 2011 - 03:41:54 PM »
WOW, 29 pages and growing!  Love it!

If this has already been covered, then please disregard.  Make sure you have the trunk seal in place while you're doing the body work.  It will make it MUCH easier to get everything lined up when you're done with paint.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011 - 10:01:09 PM by C O D Y »
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #424 on: April 18, 2011 - 07:46:12 PM »
Mike,
When you hung the door for fitting, did you put in the latch and striker?  If so, would loading the door with bricks be unnecessary since the door will always align with the striker?

Cheers,
Sean

Latch, door handle parts, and striker are all in place already as you see the car right now.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #425 on: April 18, 2011 - 09:54:25 PM »
OK, thought so.  I thought I saw the handles but wasn't sure if you maybe had removed them.   :cheers:

Sean

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #426 on: April 18, 2011 - 10:03:26 PM »
Make sure to put the trunk seal on.  Also, it's a good idea to load the doors with 50 lbs if you do not have any of the windows in.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #427 on: April 18, 2011 - 11:01:35 PM »
Make sure to put the trunk seal on.  Also, it's a good idea to load the doors with 50 lbs if you do not have any of the windows in.

Thanks CODY. Will do that.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #428 on: May 10, 2011 - 11:29:03 PM »
My friend just scored about 10 heavy duty HEPA/HVAC paint booth filters he would loan me.

It's got me seriously thinking of now building a booth in the backyard and doing it myself. I can get an Iwata on loan with a helper and 2 days of work. If I DIY, then it would mean probably waiting till late Summer to paint it. It just gets too hot back there in midday from June till Sept. The hassle of hauling it to Salinas, going there, etc. is something to weigh against.

Booth design info if anyone has before?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #429 on: May 11, 2011 - 11:25:41 AM »
Looking good Mike!  Great choice on the color.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #430 on: May 11, 2011 - 02:25:40 PM »
My friend just scored about 10 heavy duty HEPA/HVAC paint booth filters he would loan me.

It's got me seriously thinking of now building a booth in the backyard and doing it myself. I can get an Iwata on loan with a helper and 2 days of work. If I DIY, then it would mean probably waiting till late Summer to paint it. It just gets too hot back there in midday from June till Sept. The hassle of hauling it to Salinas, going there, etc. is something to weigh against.

Booth design info if anyone has before?

Mike,old mods rev-it-up made one at home when they painted their chally,should be able to find some thing here in the arcives.i remember them building it and showing pics and it came out great,of coarse so did the chally when they were done painting it.also i see where you listed the cost of paint OMG i better start saving some doe now,man has that stuff gone up in price since i last bought some ppg paint and hardener and reducer's.  :pullinghair:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #431 on: May 14, 2011 - 01:03:34 AM »
After a few skin coats and time spent blocking, I think the hood is finally ready for paint. These are pics at sunset of the hood with wax & grease remover sprayed on drying.

Time to work a late night with the overhead flood lights on to double check it.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014 - 04:43:19 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #432 on: May 14, 2011 - 11:13:07 AM »
These are pics at sunset of the hood with wax & grease remover sprayed on drying.

Looks like a nice smooth B3 paint job.   

I was told by the body shop guys years ago. After spaying wax and grease remover always wipe it wet while the contaminats are still suspended in the liquid and don't "let it dry"
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #433 on: May 14, 2011 - 11:48:59 AM »
Looks like a nice smooth B3 paint job.   

I was told by the body shop guys years ago. After spaying wax and grease remover always wipe it wet while the contaminats are still suspended in the liquid and don't "let it dry"

I did do that on the first spray since there was dust and stuff I needed to get off before checking with a second spray.  :thumbsup:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #434 on: May 14, 2011 - 01:43:43 PM »
Looks damn smooth!  Can't wait to see a little color on it, way cool!

Sean